David Charleston's race

TgTaunton

I picked up Calamity from the bookstore yesterday and decided to go online and read up on the characters. I was wanted to reintroduce myself to all the characters before I started the newest book. I started with Coppermind and almost immediately I'm puzzled. I see a caricature of David as an African-American. Did I miss a physical description or something? I've always thought of David as a Logan Lermon sort.

I picked up Calamity from the bookstore yesterday and decided to go online and read up on the characters. I was wanted to reintroduce myself to all the characters before I started the newest book. I started with Coppermind and almost immediately I'm puzzled. I see a caricature of David as an African-American. Did I miss a physical description or something? I've always thought of David as a Logan Lermon sort.

As I recall, David's race was never explicitly described. Some readers pictured him as white; others saw him as African-American. I liked both headcanons. 

I always pictured him as white, because well, I'm white, so that happens a lot for book characters I read.  I believe it was star ship troopers (the novel) that really threw everybody off by having a generic space marine character say at the end "It feels good speaking in my native Tagalog" and readers freaking out because they were imagining Doomguy when he was really Filipino because there was no description.  

And I did see a picture of the bonus cards with some calamity pre-orders and David and Megan are both white in their cards.  I didnt see the Prof's card, though - it was there, but I just saw a black blur (it wasnt a good photo, or my memory went bad). so Prof could be a black man in a dark lab coat for all I know

TL;DR : David is white, but Prof... I don't know.  does anybody have these cards on hand?

He's definitely white on the covers, but I wouldn't use those to shoot down the headcanons of anyone who wants to picture him as African-American or Filipino or Arabic or whatever else they want to believe. I don't think there's anything in the text of the books themselves that specifies his race.

I was just wondering that same thing the other day when I was perusing the coppermind. I always assumed he was white, probably due to the original cover, but I do like that it's left ambiguous to the reader's imagination.

Also, in Calamity, David asks Mizzy why her team--made of Abraham and Mizzy--wasn't called Team Black, and then she goes on for a bit about pre-Calamity views on race. And sports teams.

Anyway, if David were black, the entire conversation would make less than no sense.

• Chaos locked this topic