Obliteration's weakness [Theory]

Galavantes

It wasn't stated or even alluded to that I could tell. But my theory is that Obliteration's weakness is being alone. Not in the sense that he can't be in a room by himself. But truly alone.

I think he faces his weakness constantly by sticking to his conviction that he must kill everyone in order to save them from their self-inflicted suffering. 5 years ago was when he decided that killing everyone was the only way. This, of course, would leave him totally alone in the world, requiring him to face his weakness in order to go through with it.

Perhaps. 

In his mind, he needs to destroy humanity to save it- thus he is using and claiming his powers as his own while "saving" someone, curing the darkness. Your theory would indeed fit with that.

Given what we find out about the corruption, I don't think that makes much sense. For one, driving away corrupton is an organic process born from Calamity's interaction with fears and not wanting to admit that humanity could do anything but destroy itself. The fact that Obliteration's main desire is to kill everyone should overwrite whatever his dillusion of "saving" people could do, given that this isn't actually a rigid set of rules Calamity is following. Ergo no loophole abuse.

Furthermore, even then it should only be the partial redeemption that Megan had at the beginning of Calamity, given that he never had a reason to actively claim his powers from Calamity. Seeing the amount of raw Epic power this guy is throwing around at every chance, he should just have been recorrupted anyway.

I still think his behavior in Firefight fit an Epic consumed by the darkness, not a regular guy who just happened to be creepy and insane. *grumble grumble* 

I like your theory, though. 

The random theory I came up with at church today is that Obliteration, once Nathaniel Days, was a blind man who got his sight back through a faith healing and subsequently devoted his life to studying and proselytizing Scripture. His greatest fear, and thus weakness, is having that healing revoked and being struck blind again... which is why he freaked out every time in Firefight that somebody yanked his glasses off his face.

The random theory I came up with at church today is that Obliteration, once Nathaniel Days, was a blind man who got his sight back through a faith healing and subsequently devoted his life to studying and proselytizing Scripture. His greatest fear, and thus weakness, is having that healing revoked and being struck blind again... which is why he freaked out every time in Firefight that somebody yanked his glasses off his face.

tumblr_lxmhvhHra01qiancq.gif

tumblr_lxmhvhHra01qiancq.gif

You didn't ask why I chose Nathaniel Days as his real name!

Okay okay, I'll tell you anyway. It's because if his name was Days, then his Rending, the moment at which everything that he was was destroyed and Obliteration was born, would be...

...the end of Days.

B)

Get it? Yes? No? Too subtle?

:P

Okay okay, I'll tell you anyway. It's because if his name was Days, then his Rending, the moment at which everything that he was was destroyed and Obliteration was born, would be...

...the end of Days.

B)

That pun nearly made me hit my head against the keyboard, so it was a good pun. :P 

Wait, so you're saying Obliteration is actually the shardholder instead of Calamity? I mean, maybe he was actually behind the creation of the Obliteration fabrials and not Regalia, right?

/drops the official trolling mic

//ducks

///runs

...the end of Days.

B)

I found it vaguely amusing. Then again, I've already started drinking tonight.

...the end of Days.

B)

One of my friends in Highschool was called Nathan Day...  <_< 

Calaminati confirmed!

Im probably wrong so feel free to correct me.

But my impression was that obliteration weakness had something to do with the sword that he carries, because he unsheated it when speak with David about his fear and the quote that he say also has a sword.

Edited by ShardDrifter

• Chaos locked this topic