[Calamity Spoilers] Calamity's Consequences

TwiLyghtSansSparkles

The reason that Epics turned out so bad in this dimension is just that Calamity has heartburn from eating too many sausage McMuffins. :P

"Well, see, I was thinking about leaving your dimension, but even among other eldritch abominations, I'm known as a sucker for my sweet-tooth, and when I found out how advanced your dimension's fast food scene was, I was like, 'forget the ethereal void, my place is here!'"

It kind of does... except for how he's holding them in a way that no one actually gets hurt. :ph34r:

Also, I just had the somewhat fun mental image that during the inevitable Nighthound/Voidgaze rematch, Big Al suddenly comes to the rescue and is all "I am Calamity."

Not sure why, given that it'd be a terrible twist but I find it amusing.

If Funtimes were present, you know she'd say, "OOH! OOH! I WANT TO BE WILLIAM HOWARD TAFT!"

I feel dumb for having to ask this, but I'm confused and you guys are way more astute readers than I am.

There are still weaknesses in the Invocation verse, right? I got the feeling that weaknesses to go along with powers are a hallmark of the superpower system itself, not just of Calamity's corruption, but I sped through the book in a dazed delirium and may have completely missed the point. :P

I feel dumb for having to ask this, but I'm confused and you guys are way more astute readers than I am.

There are still weaknesses in the Invocation verse, right? I got the feeling that weaknesses to go along with powers are a hallmark of the superpower system itself, not just of Calamity's corruption, but I sped through the book in a dazed delirium and may have completely missed the point. :P

The book is a bit unclear on this but I think the anser is yes they still exsist but they are weaker.

The book is a bit unclear on this but I think the anser is yes they still exsist but they are weaker.

Yeah, that's the part I'm fuzzy about. I mean, if David's dad comes into contact with his weakness does he become slightly less invulnerable than he usually is? What does that look like? Is it impossible to completely negate an Epic's powerset over there?

These are the kinds of questions that it'd be really great to see answered in a follow up.

Yeah, that's the part I'm fuzzy about. I mean, if David's dad comes into contact with his weakness does he become slightly less invulnerable than he usually is? What does that look like? Is it impossible to completely negate an Epic's powerset over there?

These are the kinds of questions that it'd be really great to see answered in a follow up.

Assuming he has the same weakness, of course.

Assuming he has the same weakness, of course.

Well yeah, for all we know his weakness over there is gone-off grapes. I'm still curious what would happen if he came into contact with whatever it is that counters his power. Depending on what's meant by weaknesses being weaker over there, it's possible that High Epics in the Invocationverse are completely unkillable by any means at all. (Which, granted, would explain things like Obliteration being uncontained and still on his murderous rampage despite all the superheroes trying to kill him.)

• 3 weeks later...

Another something I've been considering, what do you guys think about meta powers like assuming and dowsing interacting with gifted powers and motivators?
Personally, I'd venture that motivators are affected just like Epics proper (plus assuming from one most likely also depowers the other).

Gifted power is more finnicky, dowsing should still be capable of detecting it but assuming may be limited. Probably at least to only being able to assume the amount of power that was gifted, if at all.

Thoughts?

On gifting I'd say it would be impossible to assume, gifted powers don't follow most of the rules of normal Epic powers, they don't corrupt, they don't (as far as we know) gain their own weakness, they don't cause pain to the original Epic like motivators or twins do.

Also good points.....

They aren't a part of the person, just a temporary burst of limited power.

I'm thinking assumers probably couldn't take motivator powers either- they'd need to take from the original Epic.

And they aren't affected by the Epic's 'ownership' of the powers either. Was Larcener unique in that he couldn't take 'owned' powers or do you think no Assumer could take a power that was 'owned'? I guess he is unique since he is just Calamity but still.

EDIT: On the subject of using canon characters now, we can use Night's Sorrow now if we wish!

Brandon after all confirmed that Night's Sorrow was responsible for Oregon's destruction, so perhaps we could work that in somehow. Obviously we aren't sticking to canon perfectly, but if we can work her in that would be fun. What can she do? How did she destroy oregon? Why is she the Epic everyone names up there in terms of powerful Epics?

Edited by Blackhoof

On gifting I'd say it would be impossible to assume, gifted powers don't follow most of the rules of normal Epic powers, they don't corrupt, they don't (as far as we know) gain their own weakness, they don't cause pain to the original Epic like motivators or twins do.

Good point.

It also makes me wonder if one Epic assuming gifting from one Epic could then gift even powers assumed by another Epic. Given that Brandon called gifting a modification that affects all powers, I would actually say yes.

I'm thinking assumers probably couldn't take motivator powers either- they'd need to take from the original Epic.

And they aren't affected by the Epic's 'ownership' of the powers either. Was Larcener unique in that he couldn't take 'owned' powers or do you think no Assumer could take a power that was 'owned'? I guess he is unique since he is just Calamity but still.

EDIT: On the subject of using canon characters now, we can use Night's Sorrow now if we wish!

Brandon after all confirmed that Night's Sorrow was responsible for Oregon's destruction, so perhaps we could work that in somehow. Obviously we aren't sticking to canon perfectly, but if we can work her in that would be fun. What can she do? How did she destroy oregon? Why is she the Epic everyone names up there in terms of powerful Epics?

Isn't the whole point of motivators that the powers can't tell them appart their flesh from the actual Epic? Why should they behave differently?

I figure that Larcener is special in this regard. Building powers with such a major flaw inherent seems unikely.

What can she do... probably something darkness related. :mellow:

True.... Would the assumed then take the WHOLE power, or only the motivator part?

True, being Calamity and all.

We would have to decide i guess.

Well, my first impuls would be all of the powers but given that this would imply that an assumer can take the powers of an Epic at every time they please, as long as they carry around a bit of their tissue, saying only the power that the motivator is copying seems more sensible.

The power to instantly make everyone sob the whole night by having to listen to her moaning. Her battle with Lucentia was too traumatizing for everyone involved to ever talk about it. :P

Well, my first impuls would be all of the powers but given that this would imply that an assumer can take the powers of an Epic at every time they please, as long as they carry around a bit of their tissue, saying only the power that the motivator is copying seems more sensible.

The power to instantly make everyone sob the whole night by having to listen to her moaning. Her battle with Lucentia was too traumatizing for everyone involved to ever talk about it. :P

exactly, it would be far too powerful.

I guess it is a temporary acquisition anyway- so they will have a copy of the Epic's power but not their original power.

We need to WOB this stat :P

hahaha that would certainly make her very powerful.

I think I suggested it ages ago but I'll resurrect the suggestion- one of our own powerful female Epics renaming herself Night's Sorrow and causing much of the destruction of Oregon somehow.

But who?

Funtimes after going dark?

Lucentia? 

Bloody Mary?

Scribbler?

The idea of Scribbler becoming Night's Sorrow is actually terrifying and sad :'(

exactly, it would be far too powerful.

I guess it is a temporary acquisition anyway- so they will have a copy of the Epic's power but not their original power.

We need to WOB this stat :P

hahaha that would certainly make her very powerful.

I think I suggested it ages ago but I'll resurrect the suggestion- one of our own powerful female Epics renaming herself Night's Sorrow and causing much of the destruction of Oregon somehow.

But who?

Funtimes after going dark?

Lucentia? 

Bloody Mary?

Scribbler?

The idea of Scribbler becoming Night's Sorrow is actually terrifying and sad :'(

Well, Bloody Mary could pretty easily flip out in the inevitable case that Nighthound dies. The mourning would explain the Sorrow part and the Night's in remembrance of Nighthound. Certainly messy but yikes could she start up a genocide in Oregon.

Well, Bloody Mary could pretty easily flip out in the inevitable case that Nighthound dies. The mourning would explain the Sorrow part and the Night's in remembrance of Nighthound. Certainly messy but yikes could she start up a genocide in Oregon.

And she is certainly powerful enough to be consistently named in the top few scariest Epics in the FSA.

Works quite well really.

I could pick some more holes into it, like what if one of the people present just so happened to activate the memory manipulator's weakness but I guess it doesn't matter anymore. (Funnily enough, Deterrence or Mephistopheles could have walked all over that power.  :mellow: )

On a similair topic, how do the Fates even work? Especially the part were their powers are designed not only to synergize but actually depend on each other to a degree. (Plus, you know triplets, at least two of which are identical by virtue of being conjoined but that's hindsight)

yeaaaaah the fates need reworking

i can see them being twins and having the same power working fine though, if we retcon their powers. If at least one pair of twins in the FSA can survive 10 years, certainly a pair in Aus can survive for 1-1.5 years (so far)

Edited by Blackhoof

And she is certainly powerful enough to be consistently named in the top few scariest Epics in the FSA.

Works quite well really.

yeaaaaah the fates need reworking

i can see them being twins and having the same power working fine though, if we retcon their powers. If at least one pair of twins in the FSA can survive 10 years, certainly a pair in Aus can survive for 1-1.5 years (so far)

Don't forget that the plan includes a dead Nighthound. :ph34r:

Well, the reason the Coven twins didn't kill each other is the pain manipulation, which essentially gave them immunity of the negative side effects. Now, the question is if them being conjoined might lead to them not registering as enough of a different person to trigger the pain in the first place. Granted, they'd still need identical powers for that excuse to work.