[Calamity Spoilers] Calamity's Consequences

TwiLyghtSansSparkles

So assuming that motivator tech is still affected by weaknesses, does it seem reasonable to everyone that it could be used for experiments to figuring out an Epics weakness? Obviously at the risk of alarming said Epic.

Hadn't even thought of that, definitely seems reasonable to me though.

I agree with Cognizan (I miss the time I could just call him chouta :ph34r: ) that reaction was glorious. :lol:

Anyway I think I mentioned in the spoiler thread already and to keep this one as spoiler free as possible I'll mention it there again.

From how i see it the logistics around Motivators only really makes it possible for dedicated companies or the Carlises to produce them on screen and even then they'd require a good amount of work with possible failures.

Appart from that, only our big Epics like Lucentia and Rainmaker could afford some. What's the opinion on them having let's say one of those laying around, by the way? :ph34r:

Edited by Edgedancer

I could see Lucentia having one or two lying around but I think Corvallis is self-sufficient enough that they wouldn't really bother, they have a giant forcefield, limitless resources and perfect population happiness.

I wouldn't even want the Carlisles to have them to be honest now that we've seen how rare they are but I've already worked it into their backstory too much, they'd be completely different characters if I retconned it. Still the time limit means it's unlikely to have any practical effects on the game.

Clearly, Lucentia has bought a motivator to make herself the tiniest violin in the world. :ph34r::P

If it makes you happy, by the time they managed to develop one in the game we probably will have forgoten this conversation for a long time anyway. :ph34r:

Edited by Edgedancer

Clearly, Lucentia has bought a motivator ro make herself the tiniest violin in the world. :ph34r::P

If it makes you happy, by the time they managed to develop one in the game we probably will have forgoten this conversation for a long time anyway. :ph34r:

While everyone else in Astoria is saving up to jointly by one that renders her mute. :P

Well, I finally finished Calamity.  Once I got going I breezed through it in one day, just had to find the time to get started.  If it's okay, I thoguht I'd throw my few cents in.

RE: Twins:  They aren't my characters, but personally I think the "seen as identical but not actually genetically identical" thing works best.  My understanding is that true identical twins are actually quite rare, but a number of same gender fraternal twins are mistaken for identical, so that should work fine.  

Also, I don't know if anyone else learned about Twin Studies in first year Psychology, but I love that those would still be a thing when it comes to epics.  

RE: Assumers - When Larcener's powers came up I became very scared for Legacy and Peregrine, but I think they still work.  With Peregrine's dowsing powers I might have to revisit the range of his powers, but I think Legacy's temporary copying of powers without stealing them still works.  

RE: Motivators - I loved this part of the book, and Knighthawk was amazing.  Rainmaker might have something special kicking around just for her personal use, but I haven't decided yet.  It would probably be either something frivulous, or something really devious that she is saving for someone who really ticks her off.   It would be interesting to see if Euphoria's powers could be used to make some form of super potent drug.  Looking at how mobiles work with a central hub, I bet you could produce a substance somehow linked to a 'hub' made with her DNA, and then project the effects of her powers through to the drug users, or something.  Not a plot point I'm considering following at this point, but an interesting one nonetheless.  

RE: Alternate Reality - I actually really like the idea, but my personal preference would be for our alternate reality to still stick as close to canon as possible.  

RE: Epics and Weaknesses - So, when I wrote that monster Euphoria post a while back, there was some debate about whether or not Epics instinctually knew their weaknesses.  After reading Calamity, I am more convinced that Epics do know their weaknesses instinctively because of their nightmares.  We also find out that the only reason Edmund thought he did not know his weakness is because he accidentally redeemed himself.  Before that, he was sure it was dogs.  

Well, I finally finished Calamity.  Once I got going I breezed through it in one day, just had to find the time to get started.  If it's okay, I thoguht I'd throw my few cents in.

RE: Twins:  They aren't my characters, but personally I think the "seen as identical but not actually genetically identical" thing works best.  My understanding is that true identical twins are actually quite rare, but a number of same gender fraternal twins are mistaken for identical, so that should work fine.  

Also, I don't know if anyone else learned about Twin Studies in first year Psychology, but I love that those would still be a thing when it comes to epics.  

RE: Assumers - When Larcener's powers came up I became very scared for Legacy and Peregrine, but I think they still work.  With Peregrine's dowsing powers I might have to revisit the range of his powers, but I think Legacy's temporary copying of powers without stealing them still works.  

RE: Motivators - I loved this part of the book, and Knighthawk was amazing.  Rainmaker might have something special kicking around just for her personal use, but I haven't decided yet.  It would probably be either something frivulous, or something really devious that she is saving for someone who really ticks her off.   It would be interesting to see if Euphoria's powers could be used to make some form of super potent drug.  Looking at how mobiles work with a central hub, I bet you could produce a substance somehow linked to a 'hub' made with her DNA, and then project the effects of her powers through to the drug users, or something.  Not a plot point I'm considering following at this point, but an interesting one nonetheless.  

RE: Alternate Reality - I actually really like the idea, but my personal preference would be for our alternate reality to still stick as close to canon as possible.  

RE: Epics and Weaknesses - So, when I wrote that monster Euphoria post a while back, there was some debate about whether or not Epics instinctually knew their weaknesses.  After reading Calamity, I am more convinced that Epics do know their weaknesses instinctively because of their nightmares.  We also find out that the only reason Edmund thought he did not know his weakness is because he accidentally redeemed himself.  Before that, he was sure it was dogs.

On the weaknesses, we also straight up learned that Prof didn't know his weakness until the accident with Tia and that Epics are rather dellusional around their nightmares, so I'd still tend towards they don't but can figure it out rather easily.

On the weaknesses, we also straight up learned that Prof didn't know his weakness until the accident with Tia and that Epics are rather dellusional around their nightmares, so I'd still tend towards they don't but can figure it out rather easily.

Although technically that wasn't his weakness so it might be that before that he thought he knew what it was then after he thought he was wrong.

I think being wrong about something implies you don't actually know what it is.

True but if you think your weakness is one thing then something else causes you to lose your powers a bit you might be less certain.

The nightmares themselves could be theoretically vague. If the event is dreamt about more than the specific weakness, that is.

You know, I'm curious what happened to Loophole to make her weakness sneezing of all things.

Maybe some kind of alergy that has been exagerated by Calamity?

It's not like there has to be a deep story anymore now that the Calamity twist swallowed weaknesses out. There's a reason we pretty much rejected it from our fanon.

The thing about Calamity is that while it was a brilliant novel, it very much twisted the Reckonerverse into the shape it needed to be for that novel. The setting itself is secondary to the story that Brandon Sanderson wants to tell, which is all well and good for him, but it turned a setting that was ideal for our roleplay into a setting that was primarily only suited for his trilogy of novels.

Our fanon, as is to be expected, did an arguably better job of leaving the world open to interesting character constructs from a variety of different people as opposed to a world created for a single author. What we're experiencing here is a simple contrast of needs between us and Brandon Sanderson, and I'm sure he'd take in stride that we chose to tweak the setting to allow us more creative freedom in our fanfiction.

The thing about Calamity is that while it was a brilliant novel, it very much twisted the Reckonerverse into the shape it needed to be for that novel. The setting itself is secondary to the story that Brandon Sanderson wants to tell, which is all well and good for him, but it turned a setting that was ideal for our roleplay into a setting that was primarily only suited for his trilogy of novels.

Our fanon, as is to be expected, did an arguably better job of leaving the world open to interesting character constructs from a variety of different people as opposed to a world created for a single author. What we're experiencing here is a simple contrast of needs between us and Brandon Sanderson, and I'm sure he'd take in stride that we chose to tweak the setting to allow us more creative freedom in our fanfiction.

I'd figure so. The few times people have asked him on stuff like doing roleplays he always encouraged them to take liberties. He's a pretty swell guy after all.