Unusual Aging

Lord Aldric

I apologize if another post has already asked this, but search revealed nothing similar.

The question I have is, do people age differently when in a speed bubble?  It seems that they would, so Wayne, who spends a LOT of time with time sped up, is probably several months older than his birthday would suggest.  If he continues to burn a lot of Bendalloy he may end up being seventy years of age when all the other people born when he was are only sixty or so.

Conversely, since Cadmium burns so slowly, I could actually see someone doing this to appear younger.  If a noblewoman spent half her time in a Cadmium bubble she could live to be over 200.  Granted, she wouldn't actually gain time since she'd be losing every other day, but in other people's eyes she'd be amazing, and she could see 200 years of history, news, etc.  It would be like putting herself into a time capsule.

I don't think either Wayne nor Marasi spend enough time in bubbles to make a huge difference, but since allomancy is only limited by metal access a very rich noble could, technically, have enough bendalloy or cadmium to basically live in a time bubble all the time, replenishing metals as needed.

For that matter, if that noble uses Bendalloy so often, could he become a savant?  There's a scary thought, a bendalloy savant!

Given how short time bubbles last and the scarcity of their use I don't imagine it would be a big deal, it's maybe a couple of minutes a day in the bubble so that's a loss of maybe 3 minutes a day which is a loss of about a month every 50 years. You'd need to spend over an hour a day in a speed bubble for it to make a significant difference, and the amount of Bendalloy you'd need for that is pretty huge.

You're more likely to get results from cadmium, as it burns a lot more slowly and is a bit easier to get hold of than bendalloy.

Still, you'd pretty much have to be a savant and have easy access to a lot of cadmium to be able to pull it off.  Almost as if you were a prospector with ties to a family that owns a bunch of mining operations with a focus on Allomantically viable metals.  Hmm...  Gee.  I wonder if I may have already gone somewhere with this, but just haven't posted the story yet.  :D

But there is a trick to pull this off. See, bubbles are not additive, but multiplicative. So somebody standing in shared area of two cadmium bubbles will experience not 16 (2 * 8) times slower time, but 64 (8*8) times slower. There was a thread or two where we figured out how to gain a lot of money using multiple overlapping cadmium bubbles.

• Chaos locked this topic