Questions for Brandon?

ryanheart678

2 questions, the first is twofold, so I guess it's 3...

We know that Returned on Nalthis are able to substitute Stormlight for Breath. Does this mean they consume Investiture? If yes, theoretically if. Returned used a bead of Lerasium, would they then be able to use the Investiture released when they burn a metal to bypass their need for Breath?

2. Apart from the Listeners and their experimentation with Forms, have we seen anyone (human or otherwise) who has Bonded more than one Spren?

Thanks!!!

Why the heck does 

Calamity spoilers

David have steelheart powers and not the water powers he was granted in Calamity?

I would say it's because

he's never actually granted water powers in Firefight?  That was Regalia's suggestion to Calamity but all that is actually said is that Calamity promised to give him "thematically appropriate" powers.  I'd argue that Steelheart's portfolio is far more thematically appropriate than Waterlog's.

I would say it's because

he's never actually granted water powers in Firefight?  That was Regalia's suggestion to Calamity but all that is actually said is that Calamity promised to give him "thematically appropriate" powers.  I'd argue that Steelheart's portfolio is far more thematically appropriate than Waterlog's.

Well also he killed Stealheart before getting transformed into a epic and the water powers was after  so it wouldn't make sense for him to get water powers

Edited by WeiryWriter
fixed spoiler tags

Here's my list that I'm narrowing down for the Seattle Q&A tonight:

Is Wayne's Kleptomania linked to the cognitive realm in any way? He appears to be a bit broken.

Could one make a bracelet that had a set of stamps surrounding the wrist that activated a different stamp when pressed?

If an elantrian were drawing a rune while moving, would the rune move with them?

If enough people were born, would people start being born without breaths?

If one were unable to speak, but had a speech synthesizer, would one be able to awaken via it?

Can someone with a Connection medallion utilize it to know sign language in an area that doesn't have verbal communication and sign is the primary language?

If a person dies and becomes a cognitive shadow and then their body is made into a Lifeless, do they act as two different people? Does the cognitive shadow have some control over the Lifeless old body?

Is aluminum affected by Bendalloy? Would an aluminum bullet be slowed by Bendalloy?

Since the ability to burn metals or store them is contained in the spiritweb, since it can be ripped from one spiritweb and given to another, could a Forger change a person's spiritweb sufficiently to grant them allomantic abilities?

Being an inquisitor does not make one impotent. So if two inquisitors had a child, would the child have a higher likelihood of having allomancy or feruchemy?

What is it about Aluminum that makes it allomantically inert?

Can a Faraday cage made of aluminum render the metals inside it invisible to allomancy?

Is one's spiritual DNA somehow encoded on Chromosomes? If so, which chromosomes carry various abilities? And is allomancy or feruchemy a recessive gene?

Can a Hemalurgical spike be utilized as both a spike for the granting of a given ability and a location to store an attribute feruchemically?

Could a Leecher drain the breath from an awakener?

Does having breaths alter one's spiritweb?  If one had enough breaths, would a hemaurgical spike be more powerful?  Can one be a drab and an allomancer simultaneouslt?
Are the ability to hear thoughts or speak to thoughts directly a power unique to Preservation and Ruin?

Having a Hemalurgical Spike take a power from you damages your spiritweb in a tremendous way (being alive after would be worse than being a drab).  Is it damaging to the SpiritWeb to have a spike put in you and then removed?  Does the damage persist?

Are there ways to sufficiently rewrite one's spiritweb to attune to different magic systems (feruchemy, allomancy, biChromia, etc)?

Has Adonalsium ever been shattered before the event that has led to the events in all the series?

What would happen if a drab's arm were sliced by a shardblade?

If an Elantrian were on Scadrial, would they have to use a different base rune for their magics?  Would the small modifications that specify the exact instruction remain the same?

Can the force opposing Adonalsium also be shattered like Adonalsium was?

It is implied that a Returned can live off investiture like that found in stormlight.  Does this investiture get translated into a corresponding number of breaths?  Is there a unit of measurement that can be utilized to determine this amount?  Can those Breaths be gifted?

Can an invested piece of metal be awakened?

What rate would an allomancer have to be burning a metal at producing pure investiture energy to counteract Nightblood's breath-drain?

Edited by Rlain

The questions I would love to see asked (pulling from a variety of places where I mentioned them)

1. If a Shardholder dies and two people try to take the Shard at the same time, what would happen?  ( or "... will each take only a part of the Shard's original Intent"? if you want a yes/no rephrasing)

2. What would Hoid think of Ym's religion?

3. Can you give us a(t least a partial) list of secret societies that have nothing to do with Kelsier?

4. Is there a Hoid appearance in Aether of Night?

5. How many more Shardholders does Kelsier get to punch?

6. How much distortion is in modern Vorinism's description of humanity's origin on Roshar?  (Or "Is expulsion from Tranqulline Halls a distorted description of Honor/Cultivation's settlement of Roshar?")

It's a bit late, but I think I can answer a few of these, help you narrow them down:

Could one make a bracelet that had a set of stamps surrounding the wrist that activated a different stamp when pressed? Theoretically possible, but would require several quirks of its engineering - each "link" needs to be flipped to face away from the wrist (to be inked), and need to be able to turn 90 degrees while facing into the wrist (to activate the soulstamp).

If one were unable to speak, but had a speech synthesizer, would one be able to awaken via it? Most likely - the Command only helps shape the mental picture, which is what is imparted to the Awakened object.

If a person dies and becomes a cognitive shadow and then their body is made into a Lifeless, do they act as two different people? Does the cognitive shadow have some control over the Lifeless old body? I suspect the two resultant entities are completely separate - The Lifeless is made with a foreign Breath, while the original Breath would remain, so to speak, with the shadow.  

Being an inquisitor does not make one impotent. So if two inquisitors had a child, would the child have a higher likelihood of having allomancy or feruchemy?  I believe this has been answered with a "yes," although I don't know where exactly it is.  

Is one's spiritual DNA somehow encoded on Chromosomes? If so, which chromosomes carry various abilities? And is allomancy or feruchemy a recessive gene? Metalborn abilities have this strange love-hate relationship with genetics.  The question of "Recessive or dominant" is odd because in the grand scheme of things, exactly 16% of the studied population will exhibit Metalborn abilities (as seen in HoA).  Yes this flies in the face of probability.  

Does having breaths alter one's spiritweb?  If one had enough breaths, would a hemaurgical spike be more powerful?  Can one be a drab and an allomancer simultaneously?

Are the ability to hear thoughts or speak to thoughts directly a power unique to Preservation and Ruin? Hearing, perhaps.  Speaking to, no - any soul with cracks wide enough will be able to hear faintly into the Cognitive Realm, which drives the plot of SH.    

Are there ways to sufficiently rewrite one's spiritweb to attune to different magic systems (feruchemy, allomancy, bioChroma, etc)? Yes, although of course it would be far simpler to just steal it.  

If an Elantrian were on Scadrial, would they have to use a different base rune for their magics?  Would the small modifications that specify the exact instruction remain the same? Yes and no, respectively, assuming they could draw an Aon in the first place.  

Can an invested piece of metal be awakened? Theoretically, yes.  It'll take a lot more Breath than normal, though, because of the double-Investing rule (namely, that it's more difficult to Invest something with two different types of Investiture).  

@Landis: I found that one WoB about Inquisikids for you. Also, upvote for the phrase, "love-hate relationship with genetics."

If a person dies and becomes a cognitive shadow and then their body is made into a Lifeless, do they act as two different people? Does the cognitive shadow have some control over the Lifeless old body? I expect it matters HOW you turn into a Cognitive Shadow. We've seen a few different ways in text, and several of them would have implications for this hypothetical scenario.

Since the ability to burn metals or store them is contained in the spiritweb, since it can be ripped from one spiritweb and given to another, could a Forger change a person's spiritweb sufficiently to grant them allomantic abilities? I'll try to find it.... there's a recent WoB which suggests that Forging someone to have any kind of an "ability" would be pretty tricky, and would require more power than most Essence Marks could access alone.

Being an inquisitor does not make one impotent. So if two inquisitors had a child, would the child have a higher likelihood of having allomancy or feruchemy? Ta-dah. One of my favorite quotes, it's so creepy how he says.... complications.

Can a Hemalurgical spike be utilized as both a spike for the granting of a given ability and a location to store an attribute feruchemically? Yes. In Hero of Ages, Marsh uses one of his steel spikes granting physical allomancy, to store speed feruchemically. He mentions it in the scene where he spikes Penrod. One of the advantages of Scadrian Investiture being relatively low-power; they mix better without interfering.

Having a Hemalurgical Spike take a power from you damages your spiritweb in a tremendous way (being alive after would be worse than being a drab).  Is it damaging to the SpiritWeb to have a spike put in you and then removed?  Does the damage persist? Not sure what you mean by this, but to an extent, we know having a spike in you does do some damage, and removing it mitigates at least some. See, Vin's earring lets Ruin talk to her and keeps the mists away, but removing the earring shuts him up and lets the mists in. It's possible some damage still persists, but it might depend on your perspective. My friend just got eye surgery. Some shot lasers into her eye, cutting things up a bunch. Cutting off bits of someone's body would typically be classified as "damage". The damage persists, because she can still see fine. It sorta depends on your particular definition of the word "damage".

Are there ways to sufficiently rewrite one's spiritweb to attune to different magic systems (feruchemy, allomancy, biChromia, etc)? There's a recent WoB which suggests that this is one use of feruchemical Connection.

If an Elantrian were on Scadrial, would they have to use a different base rune for their magics?  Would the small modifications that specify the exact instruction remain the same? Um, Landis, where do you get the answer to this one? That I know of, he's never confirmed the popular fan-theory that one can use AonDor anywhere, if you just draw a picture of the new place.

It is implied that a Returned can live off investiture like that found in stormlight.  Does this investiture get translated into a corresponding number of breaths?  Is there a unit of measurement that can be utilized to determine this amount?  Can those Breaths be gifted? He's frequently mentioned that he's trying to avoid giving us a hard translation of "this is how much stormlight one Breath is", but maybe he's reached the point where he's willing to tell us. I would be surprised if the Stormlight actually turns into Breath, I expect that whatever keeps Vasher alive simply eats Stormlight because it's close enough. With a few wires, I can make a toy that needs AA batteries run off a D battery; that doesn't mean the D battery IS a AA battery now.

What rate would an allomancer have to be burning a metal at producing pure investiture energy to counteract Nightblood's breath-drain? Please tell me if he answers this.

Lemme know if there are any questions you don't get to ask, I'm making a big list I'm gonna print out on cards to hand out in Philly on Saturday and I need more questions.

The Question I want to ask:

To create an Hemalurgic Spike, Must some agent (Hemalurgist, Spike or Victim) provide Ruin's Investiture ?

Brandon has answered this question. They do not need Ruin's investiture. Ruin made Hemalurgy open to anyone because he doesn't care who causes the entropy a long as it makes things decay.

Brandon has answered this question. They do not need Ruin's investiture. Ruin made Hemalurgy open to anyone because he doesn't care who causes the entropy a long as it makes things decay.

If I remember right Brandon said only "You don't need to have the right sDNA because Ruin don't care who use it". But there is space for some obstacles to performing Hemalurgy.

Edited by Yata

Here are my top 4 for anyone who is looking for more questions:

Would a Soother be able to prevent a listener from attuning a given rhythm?

If the shades on Threnody stopped enforcing the Simple Rules, would the spread of the Evil from the Homeland be hastened?

In WoK Prime there were no spren as part of the world. In that version, where did shardblades come from?

If Ruin and Preservation had picked Nalthis or Roshar, instead of Scadrial, would magical abilities on their world still divide into sets of 16? Would they still be based on metals?

If Ruin and Preservation had picked Nalthis or Roshar, instead of Scadrial, would magical abilities on their world still divide into sets of 16? Would they still be based on metals?

No their presence will make develop three magic system Command Based insted of Metals based (the Shardwold "puts" the Focus for Magic Systems).

Edited by Yata

No their presence will make develop three magic system Command Based insted of Metals based (the Shardwold "puts" the Focus for Magic Systems).

I agree that is the best prediction, but I haven't seen a clear WoB confirming it.

Though honestly, the number part of the question is what I'm interested in, with the metal follow-up being a bonus confirmation.

@Landis: I found that one WoB about Inquisikids for you. Also, upvote for the phrase, "love-hate relationship with genetics."

Lemme know if there are any questions you don't get to ask, I'm making a big list I'm gonna print out on cards to hand out in Philly on Saturday and I need more questions.

Re: the Elantrian on other planets question - that's what I've extrapolated from the "Rosetta Stone" nature of the Moon Scepter.  If one wanted to draw an Aon on Scadrial, there'd have to be a different base aon to start, otherwise it'd fall into the same problem Raoden did in Teod.  I don't have a WoB for it.  

Kay. I don't personally interpret the information that same way, I was just wondering if you had something additional. We know that the whole planet has one system of magic that expresses itself differently depending on where you are, but they all channel the Dor. I would expect that the Moon Scepter lets you tap into the Dor for your type of magic, anywhere, but I would be surprised if it lets you tap into the Dor on a planet where the Dor simply wasn't there.

Kay. I don't personally interpret the information that same way, I was just wondering if you had something additional. We know that the whole planet has one system of magic that expresses itself differently depending on where you are, but they all channel the Dor. I would expect that the Moon Scepter lets you tap into the Dor for your type of magic, anywhere, but I would be surprised if it lets you tap into the Dor on a planet where the Dor simply wasn't there.

Hence the caveat I placed on the original answer, "assuming they could draw an Aon in the first place." 

I am with Oudeis here.

To me the Moon Sceptre give to you the "right Form" to use the "local Dor" of every region of Sel to fuel the Magic System you have.

(It maybe be used to fuel Alien Magic Sytems with the Dor)

But outside of Sel is useless to me.

"Have Odium and Autonomy ever worked together?"

And if you're lucky enough to get an answer on that, a followup could be:

"Recently?"

Though I'm sure that's RAFO bait.

Another I might like to see answered is:

"Have we seen a Svrakiss on page?"

Followup: "On a world besides Sel?"

Even if you get a RAFO on that one, it could be revealing. My hopes is that these questions could help us narrow down which Shard is invading Scadrial.

If you have time for more, another I have is:

"Was the Evil on Threnody related to a Shard?" or possibly: "Was the Evil something we've seen on another world?"

Those I think may be RAFO'd though.

Another:

"If there is no Shard on Threnody, does it still have a Perpendicularity? If not, how did Nazh manage to worldhop?"

Minor BoM/Secret History spoilers involving Nazh:

We've seen Nazh using some quite sophisticated weaponry, but in Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell, that technology is not evident. Does this mean that Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell is quite a bit before the events of Mistborn era 1, or did Nazh get his technology from someone else?

Are you referencing the broadsheet? I'm not positive we can be so sure that's not in-universe fiction.

Also, keep in mind, Perpendicularities seem to be more necessary for returning from the Cognitive to the Physical, rather than going Physical to Cognitive.

Are you referencing the broadsheet? I'm not positive we can be so sure that's not in-universe fiction.

Also, keep in mind, Perpendicularities seem to be more necessary for returning from the Cognitive to the Physical, rather than going Physical to Cognitive.

I think that in response to this question Brandon is likely to play coy.  As of the moment there has not been an official WoB confirming that the broadsheet appearance in question is who Khyrindor names him to be.  The official part line so far has been that Allomancer Jak stories are fiction. I would start with questions about that. If/once we get some official word, the equipment question becomes feasible.

Yeah he'd probably say "you're making assumptions" or some such (I've gotten that one before), but I'm sure if you're persistent with it (like, that is Nazh right? Who else would be looking for a map while swearing by shadows?), he might chuckle and say you're onto something or answer the original question.

And on Perpendicularities, we're pretty sure they go both ways, as you see Hoid jump into one at the end of Elantris. Yes, there are other ways to get in with certain magic systems, or dying and conning Shards, we haven't seen many, and Threnody doesn't have a magic system that we know of that is capable of that, which is what I hope to narrow down in that question.