[bands spoilers] something which happens in the fight where we properly meet telsin

CthulhuSpren

When the group are getting shot at by the constant barrage and most of them are in the cover, but Wayne is getting repeatedly shot- then wax feels that primal rage and goes to take them out

I'm not sure if I had read this properly and i don't have my copy with me now, but does wax stop some of the bullets shot at him at that point? I know hes a steel savant at that point, but he has stated that he cant completely stop bullets: is this because of the primal emotion he feels, or is there something more at play

Could someone please clarify if I read what I remember, or if i Just misread that part (it was quite a hectic scene)?

When the group are getting shot at by the constant barrage and most of them are in the cover, but Wayne is getting repeatedly shot- then wax feels that primal rage and goes to take them out

I'm not sure if I had read this properly and i don't have my copy with me now, but does wax stop some of the bullets shot at him at that point? I know hes a steel savant at that point, but he has stated that he cant completely stop bullets: is this because of the primal emotion he feels, or is there something more at play

Could someone please clarify if I read what I remember, or if i Just misread that part (it was quite a hectic scene)?

It should be noted that Wax can indeed stop a bullet provided that it isn't Aluminum. It is just that his Steel bubble that he creates around himself doesn't stop bullets completely. If a single regular bullet was shot at him and he knew it was coming he absolutely could stop it.

Edited by Iron Eyes

I don't think that Wax is a Steel Savant. Savants have a dependancy on burning their metal constantly. Wax is a Steel adept, in that he uses it constantly and expertly. Spook wasn't just supersensitive to everything because of his Tin, he was addicted to his Tin burning. Wax has a lot of issues, dependancy on Steel isn't one of them.

I don't think that Wax is a Steel Savant. Savants have a dependancy on burning their metal constantly. Wax is a Steel adept, in that he uses it constantly and expertly. Spook wasn't just supersensitive to everything because of his Tin, he was addicted to his Tin burning. Wax has a lot of issues, dependancy on Steel isn't one of them.

I'd actually disagree with you. In BOM Wax's makes mental notes about the warmth of burning steel and how it is comforting to him and even helps him clear his mind from pain and/or distractions, that sounds exactly like somthing that someone who has an addiction might say while partaking in their addiction.

Also we have seen several times that Wax can do things like float in mid air by Steel pushing, something that someone like Zane needed the aid of a Hemalurgic Steel spike to achieve. This level of skill suggests that he may indeed by a savant.

I'd actually disagree with you. In BOM Wax's makes mental notes about the warmth of burning steel and how it is comforting to him and even helps him clear his mind from pain and/or distractions, that sounds exactly like somthing that someone who has an addiction might say while partaking in their addiction.

Also we have seen several times that Wax can do things like float in mid air by Steel pushing, something that someone like Zane needed the aid of a Hemalurgic Steel spike to achieve. This level of skill suggests that he may indeed by a savant.

Any Mistborn could remain afloat, Zane could turn. 

Wax goes for great periods of time when not burning steel -- he just finds it a comforting sensation when he does use it.

And Spook could turn his tin off if he felt like it.

He just wouldn't really be able to see very well, so he honestly can't. Dependency isn't the only factor there with Spook, and much of the dependency had already developed beforehand and was why he became a savant in the first place.

Any Mistborn could remain afloat, Zane could turn. 

Zane had  Hemalurgy-powered Steel, it's the reason of his improved precision with Steel.

If I don't remember wrong also Kelsier was a Steel/Iron Savant and He could stay pretty well without burning them.

As far as we know only the Metals who influence the body (Tin and Pewter) actually change your body too much, the other are pretty unseen (for example many Copper Misting became Copper Savant without even notice it).

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah he is definitely a savant in my opinion. His steel bubble ability is likely the result of this (or if not then his ability to exempt certain objects from it is). The only difference is that steel seems to have no real side effects for savants (that we have seen). I don't think savants have to continually used their metal at all times to remain a savant, they just have to have flared it often enough to cause some sort of change in their body.

Edited by nervousnerd

• Chaos locked this topic