Something Clever

King's Twit

Someone has probably noticed this before, but I just caught it on my re-read of WoR

Navani, referring to Jasnah, says "Battah send that girl some sense to go with her intelligence"

Jasnah is a proto-Radiant of the Order of Elsecallers, whose patron herald was Battah.

I know the Heralds aren't the ones who choose the humans to bond with spren, but I still think that this is deliberate and pretty funny on Brandon's part, so I wanted to point it out in the hope that it would amuse a few of you all as well  :P

Someone has probably noticed this before, but I just caught it on my re-read of WoR

Navani, referring to Jasnah, says "Battah send that girl some sense to go with her intelligence"

Jasnah is a proto-Radiant of the Order of Elsecallers, whose patron herald was Battah.

I know the Heralds aren't the ones who choose the humans to bond with spren, but I still think that this is deliberate and pretty funny on Brandon's part, so I wanted to point it out in the hope that it would amuse a few of you all as well :P

But maybe Battah is somehow associated with sense? So she would be missing that and therefore more likely to be in a different order(If she's a radiant).

Edit: I think she'll be a Willshaper. There was a text somewhere in SA that Willshapers questioned everything (or something like that)

Edited by ChickenPlague

But maybe Battah is somehow associated with sense? So she would be missing that and therefore more likely to be in a different order(If she's a radiant).

Edit: I think she'll be a Willshaper. There was a text somewhere in SA that Willshapers questioned everything (or something like that)

Did you read WoR?

Interesting thought. I had thought that it was confirmed that Jasnah was an Elsecaller, but all I could find was this:

QUESTION

Is Jasnah still alive at the end of the book, since the whole scene where she kind of appears...
BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, she is.

ARGENT

Why does she take so long to come back?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Because Elsecalling is not precise even if you know what you are doing, which she doesn't.

That would seem to imply that Brandon is referring to her as an Elsecaller, but I guess "Elsecalling" could just be the in-world term for using the transportation surge. Its possible that Willshapers could soulcast as well, but I'm not sure they could. Maybe while in Shadesmar they could, but we've seen Jasnah soulcast while still present in the physical realm several times from Shallan's POV. 

Edit: I forgot to mention that you are right about Battah, she is associated with wisdom, but I still think that this was deliberate on Brandon's part.

Edited by King's Twit

Jasnah herself states that she can Soulcast and we've seen her Soulcast without Soulcaster (with fake one). She also states that two Orders had inherent ability of Soulcasting. If Willshapers also could Soulcast, that would break the two-Surges-per-Order rule.

We've seen her Elsecalling.

Having Surges of Transportation and Transformation she cannot belong into no other Order than Elsecallers. Q.E.D.

Jasnah herself states that she can Soulcast and we've seen her Soulcast without Soulcaster (with fake one). She also states that two Orders had inherent ability of Soulcasting. If Willshapers also could Soulcast, that would break the two-Surges-per-Order rule.

We've seen her Elsecalling.

Having Surges of Transportation and Transformation she cannot belong into no other Order than Elsecallers. Q.E.D.

Oh Almighty preserve. I messed up Elsecallers and Edgedancers. I'm so sorry.

• Chaos locked this topic