Elends Son???

Navy Seon

In the beginning of shadows of self, steris and wax are inviting people to their wedding and wax says to invite Douglas Venture. What??? How could there be a Venture? Elends father only had two sons (heirs with his last name) Elend and Zane. With no other family since otherwise the father wouldnt have been scared that Elend would get the house title.

Elend didn't have a child. As far as we know. So did Zane have a child? Or am i just overthinking it?

Edited by Navy Seon

Remember, Straff wasn't the only Venture that existed, even though we only focus on him, Elend, and Zane in the books themselves. They were a Great House. The Venture house was large, and historically based in Urteau, I believe. Though Quellion did try to do quite a bit of noble-exterminating, it serves to reason that there were possibly some Urteau Ventures who escaped.

There's also the fact that Zane wasn't an heir. Elend was the only legitimate son. Zane was a bastard from one of Straff's mistreses, but he was one of many. Straff fathered quite the brood, and conceivably, any of them could have taken up the Venture name, feeling they had a right to it.

While what you are saying is possible, and most likely, the reason i posted this was because first, we dont see any of the illegitamites mentioned ever in person and mostly, second, i would love to see that Douglas really is related to one of the half brothers, even though it is extremely unlikely, and brandon pulling his magic and creating a whole new mind numbing plot about this.

Actually, it's confirmed that Straff has lots and lots of children. He intentionally beds a significant number of mistresses in hopes of breeding Misting and Mistborn children.

Most Allomancers were easy to identify because of their noble lineages. Straff, however, had access to some special resources. There was a reason that he had so many mistresses—dozens and dozens of them. Some thought it was just because he was lustful.

That wasn’t it at all. More mistresses meant more children. And more children, born from a high noble line like his, meant more Allomancers. He’d only spawned one Mistborn, but there were many Mistings.

--Well of Ascension, Ch. 27

Yeah I find it more likely that one of the other numerous Ventures is probably Douglas' ancestor, rather than there being some secret unknown child of either Zane or Elend. I mean, Elend, for certain, only slept with two people, Vin and the skaa girl his father forced him to bed, and the skaa girl was killed right afterward. Vin certainly didn't have any children. Zane might have conceivably had a child, I suppose, but he doesn't mention it all through WoA, and he dies at the end of that one, so we know he couldn't have had children afterward. 

With Ventures all over Urteau and Straff's numerous illegitimate kids, I just think it's more likely that one of them survived the Catacendre than that Zane or Elend managed to secretly have a kid.

Also, welcome to the forums, Ones Above. Always fun to see new faces. (Quick note though, feminine pronouns for me, please!)

I know he has lots and lots of children. But they themselves are never mentioned.

Actually they are mentioned. They are one of the hit squad's that attack Vin. Zane convinced Staff to send them to expose how much atium Vin has left, when in actuality Zane wanted to get Vin to trust him. Straff states it was a waste of his bastards. Not those words exactly, but he does reference them as mistings being his own children. Actually as I type it, I remember vaguely what he said. That how long it took to breed them (despite it being a pleasant pastime) or something and how long it would take to replace them. 

edit: or it was at the assembly. I forget which, If you want definite confirmation I can check later and pull up the quote

Edited by Pathfinder

Is it possible that Straff was lying when he told Elend that that girl he was bullied into having sex with was killed? Could Straff have taken her and hid her along with his own mistresses? Is there any possibility that she gave birth to Elend's child?

The plot thickens.

It's more likely that Doug is descended from another branch of the family, though.

Great minds think alike. I was thinking the same thing because when elend finds out he said "when i found out" meaning he didnt actually see her die. Probably not what happened though, or so thats what brandon and his sidekicks want us to believe.

Edited by Navy Seon

Is it possible that Straff was lying when he told Elend that that girl he was bullied into having sex with was killed? Could Straff have taken her and hid her along with his own mistresses? Is there any possibility that she gave birth to Elend's child?

What for? Why would he break Empire laws, putting himself in danger? Certainly not for possibility of Allomancer offspring, as he personally tended to the growth of his Allomantic reserves.

I'm more curious of possibilities of obtaining Elend's and Vin's DNA by some advanced parties...

The same reason he kept his own mistresses around. He could have just added her to his own harem, and if she did have a child by Elend it could possibly be an allomancer and he could add him/her to his secret army.

I understand this is all conjecture on both your part, and I am not meaning to crush any personal beliefs so please do not take this as an attack. Just continuing this mental exercise. If that was the case, I could see Staff using the child to manipulate Elend while he was emperor. Elend is the type that illegitimate or not, it would still be his child and he would try to save it. But since Straff didn't do that.......

I agree with you completely except for the fact that elend is the type who would do the greater good and let his son die to save thousands. Second, theres a year gap between books. You never know. Third, i know its not likely, but i would like it to be true. And if theres anyone who could explain it, brandon can.

Edited by Navy Seon

I agree with you completely except for the fact that elend is the type who would do the greater good and let his son die to save thousands. Second, theres a year gap between books. You never know.

Lol i agree and disagree. While Elend was king (sorry that might be where the confusion came in), he did not have the strength of will to let his child die to save the kingdom. However after Twindyl's teaching and him becoming Emporer, then I would agree with you. I meant while he was king and Straff laid siege to Luthadel. it was my mistake of mis-titling him. 

Even before possibly for a different reason: his father knew him as the lazy not caring for anyone and hating his family routine. He would have said, the books and philosophers say that it is better for the world if i give him up, ok books say so. Bye son. Plus, why would elend believe him? For all he knew, he was never born. His father would be lying.

Just to be clear, i am devil advocating here.

Edited by Navy Seon

Even before possibly for a different reason: his father knew him as the lazy not caring for anyone and hating his family routine. He would have said, the books and philosophers say that it is better for the world if i give him up, ok books say so. Bye son. Plus, why would elend believe him? For all he knew, he was never born. His father would be lying.

Just to be clear, i am devil advocating here.

Hmmm, that doesn't feel right to me. If I recall correctly, when he found out about Zane a part of him was saddened at the thought of losing a brother. A brother mind you that he knew tried to lure Vin away, as well as tried to kill him and Vin. Despite that he still felt for Zane. Yes he loved his books, but because he felt they would give people a better life. He had no practical real world knowledge. Just book learning. Vin says time and again Elend is a good person. He could have remained king, but due to his integrity admitted to a loop hole that got him kicked out. I could not see him while he was king of luthadel using a loop hole in the books to rationalize killing an innocent child, whether his or otherwise. Emporer Elend on the other hand, totally would. 

The same reason he kept his own mistresses around. He could have just added her to his own harem, and if she did have a child by Elend it could possibly be an allomancer and he could add him/her to his secret army.

But his mistresses were not skaa, were they? So he could keep them without any problem, but not killing the skaa Elend slept with would mean breaking Empire's laws.

You think any elend would risk the lives of hundreds and thousands of people just to save one kid?

I think King Elend would exhaust every passage, and every ability to preserve the life of an innocent child. I think Staff would know this, and use it anyway he could to pressure Elend.