This post is really about clarifying my previous post to avoid causing any confusion or misinformation.  If I had to make a serious prediction on the matter, I'd wager that aluminum would only dampen a lurcher's ability to affect an object encased in it in some manner proportional to the surface covered and mass/thickness of aluminum.

I'm basing this on the idea that the last mistborn trilogy is supposed to take place in a modern or futuristic setting and it's highly likely they'll discover the processing methods necessary to make harvesting aluminum super cheap (like we did in the real world).

This might be considered a Bands of Mourning Spoiler:

In fact, in Bands of Mourning they're at a level of technological sophistication that discovering these methods in the next book wouldn't be out of the question.

Allowing aluminum foil to completely render metals inert to being pushed or pulled seems counter-intuitive.  Plus, I think the Set uses solid aluminum guns.  If they could just coat the guns in aluminum to get the exact same effect they probably would.  I'll be curious how this gets resolved in the future due to the serious impact it could have on how powerful steel pushing and iron pulling are perceived to be in the last novels.

Edited by hwiles

I vaguely remember that walls and such obstacles make steelsight and ironsight weeker.

Vin opening entrance to the Well Of Ascension, her and Elend opening the storage room at the beginning of HoA, Wax aiming at the Marksman through the wall.

I'm pretty sure you couldn't Pull or Push something contained in aluminum, but that's an informed guess. No direct examples or WoB on this as far as I know.

I think you could make the case that the Aluminum hats used to stop emotional Allomancy could be used as evidence that you are correct.

I'm pretty sure you couldn't Pull or Push something contained in aluminum, but that's an informed guess. No direct examples or WoB on this as far as I know.

I'm almost certain that there's either WoB or direct inworld text that this is true, the only reason the Vanishers used guns made of solid Aluminum is that given the wear guns go through a coating of Aluminum would be destroyed almost immediately, defeating the whole point.

I'm almost certain that there's either WoB or direct inworld text that this is true, the only reason the Vanishers used guns made of solid Aluminum is that given the wear guns go through a coating of Aluminum would be destroyed almost immediately, defeating the whole point.

But then why not just dip their lead bullets in a thin coating of aluminum, they would almost certainly not be exposed to enough wear while chambered to remove the outside layer?  See following quote from Wayne in BoM that I believe implies aluminum bullets are solid aluminum:

“With a single aluminum bullet, mate, I could buy you an outfit that don’t look so stupid and have money left over for a nice hat or two.”

Depending on the alloy used and how thick the coating is, though, that may not necessarily be a hard and fast thing; it may just be that they haven't figured out how to do it yet.

I mean, we have modern handguns with a plastic casing to them, but metal workings.  I could easily see that sort of design being adapted for an aluminum case replacing the plastic.

I mean, we have modern handguns with a plastic casing to them, but metal workings.  I could easily see that sort of design being adapted for an aluminum case replacing the plastic.

It depends on whether the metal parts need to be completely shielded by aluminium or only on the outside.

If you plate the entire outside of a steel pistol with aluminium and then it turns out lurchers and coinshots can still affect it by the inside of the barrel, you've gone to a whole lot of effort for nothing. Simply coating the inside of the barrel as well will give the same problems as a fully aluminium gun with the added downside (as mentioned by Voidus) that the coating would be worn away pretty soon, leaving you with a pushable gun once more. 

Edited by EagleOfTheForestPath

It depends on whether the metal parts need to be completely shielded by aluminium or only on the outside.

If you plate the entire outside of a steel pistol with aluminium and then it turns out lurchers and coinshots can still affect it by the inside of the barrel, you've gone to a whole lot of effort for nothing. Simply coating the inside of the barrel as well will give the same problems as a fully aluminium gun with the added downside (as mentioned by Voidus) that the coating would be worn away pretty soon, leaving you with a pushable gun once more. 

I believe that we have a WoB out there that says aluminum has sort of an area of effect mucking-with-allomancy thing going on.  I'm sorry, I'm really good at remembering having read them but really terrible at finding them again.  (It doesn't help that I'm at work right now and can't really search too hard.)

• Chaos locked this topic