Calamity Tour - Austin, TX, Feb 25, 2016

Mark Lindberg

I started listening to the recording just for fun, and I noticed that there's a number of fun bits that aren't in the transcription. Nothing Cosmere-related - just fun stuff like an anecdote about Oliver Sanderson, stories from fans, &c. Is it a problem if I add those sorts of interesting bits to the transcription? Should I start a different document for such things? Or is nobody going to be interested if I bother transcribing them?

I think there are people who will enjoy reading the anecdote... well I liked it, so thanks for putting it in.

Edit: Sorry for double-post, just tried to edit the original one and I screwed up  :ph34r:

Edited by maxal

Of interest to me (so far?):

• The Bands of Mourning are less Invested than the Rosharan Shardblades, and by extension - less Invested than Nightblood. I suspected as much, but I like the confirmation.
  • Iyatil is related to the Southern Scadrians, but not a contemporary of theirs. Given the concurrency of Era 1.5 and The Stormlight Archive, I am going to assume she was born at least a few centuries before Era 1.5, and is either very old by now, or can time jump forward. Brandon's "she is related to [the Southerners] in the same way I am Danish" doesn't make exact sense to me, as that would require her to be of Southerner descent, having been born centuries after Era 1.5, and so the timeline doesn't work.
  • We've been really smug about all the stuff we've uncovered about the Cosmere, and magic, and Investiture, but apparently Brandon hasn't even dug into Investiture is. Well, at least I have been.
  • Mizzy-centered sequel to The Reckoners if there is a sequel at all. Mizzy!
  • Somebody else brought a stick too! Thief of intellectual property, face me!

Iyatil is related to the Southern Scadrians, but not a contemporary of theirs. Given the concurrency of Era 1.5 and The Stormlight Archive, I am going to assume she was born at least a few centuries before Era 1.5, and is either very old by now, or can time jump forward. Brandon's "she is related to [the Southerners] in the same way I am Danish" doesn't make exact sense to me, as that would require her to be of Southerner descent, having been born centuries after Era 1.5, and so the timeline doesn't work.

I think you are adding a needless restriction there, that Southern Scadrians haven't left the world before Era 2?  Like her ancestors didn't leave as part of a mass-migration so there must have been a limited number who world-hopped.

I'm worried. As of yet Mr. Sanderson said (plainly) that the shades on Threnody were cognitive shadows. Some examples: 

QUESTION
At the end of the trilogy Sazed communicates with Kelsier so there is something going on with an afterlife. Is it uniform across the cosmere?
BRANDON SANDERSON
What is happening there is not actually technically an afterlife, well it kind of is, it is what we call a cognitive shadow its when your spirit is not moving on yet. So there is a Beyond but there is a—basically it is what we would call in our world a ghost, and there are actually magic systems based around that. Actually the story I have coming out in George R.R. Martin's next anthology is a ghost story involving this same—yes it is cosmere based. Yes, that would be consistent, they don't all have the same mythology regarding it. But it would be consistent, what happened with Kelsier could have happened on any of the planets.

source

or: 

QUESTION (PARAPHRASED)
So what happens when Shards die?
BRANDON SANDERSON (PARAPHRASED)
Well, it depends on how long the Shardholders have held the Shard. After they dies, the Shard is often able to continue acting, a kind of "Cognitive shadow". For example, the mists were able to continue doing what Preservation wished in helping out Vin and snapping people. With the Stormfather, he is that Cognitive shadow, and he's semi sentient. It's that power, but no one is actually holding it. We also see this on Threnody.

source

and a last example: 

QUESTION
If Kelsier's Cognitive Shadow or a Seon went to the Forests of Hell, would they be shades?
BRANDON SANDERSON
Yes, that is the same thing. The people on that planet; their Investiture; the lack of shard means that their cognitive shadows react differently. The ghost of Leras is the same thing too.

source

But now he's differentiating: 

Q: Are the physical shadows, the ghosts in Threnody, the same as the Cognitive Shades?
A: They are a very, very similar breed.

Calamity Tour - Austin, TX, Feb 25, 2016; transcription, the very last question

Do I misunderstand the older statements? Or is there some discrepancy? 

Another uncertainty of mine. In the same transcription there is a question about "lithium" used "to charge". I take that this question also meant "Is lithium Ettmetal?" I'd appreciate help. ;)

And merely related: I understood the answer to the Iyatil-question also simply as for that she is a descendant of some Southern Scadrians. I think I recall that Mr. Sanderson also said that she wasn't born on Roshar (see here and the following posts there). 

Oudeis post made me wonder if the Southern Scadrians took to were masks to protect their faces from the sun and the heat post-TLR-Ascension and pre-Catacendre? 

Yeah, I guess I was doing that. She could be a... cousin to the modern Southerners.

South Polers were on south pole for at least a thousand years before the Catacendre. So the mask culture of hunters can easily be about that old. I took Brandon's comment to mean basically that at some time during that thousand years, some South Polers, somehow got off-world, and now reside somewhere else.  Not a large group, but enough to keep their culture and continue wearing masks. Iyatil was born not on Scadrial but was raised a Hunter.