Calamity Tour - Austin, TX, Feb 25, 2016

Mark Lindberg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm coming to San Antonio next week for work, and my flight back is on Friday. That means I'll miss that signing (boo!), but if anyone from San Antonio intends to drive up to Austin, I'd prefer to share a ride to getting a cross-city cab.

Edited by heridfel

i'm going not sure what to ask him.

1. did the shard holders know what shards they were getting before they chose who got what

2. if someone was able to gather enough investiture from each shard could they become a 17th shard

3. is the world flat in shadesmer

not sure what to ask if i only get one

Edited by taveren

i'm leaning toward the second question atm

I am not entirely certain the second question is well-formed.  What is "enough Investiture"? Why does it have to be from all Shards? and so on... I'd rephrase it to something like:

After the Shattering, would it have been possible for the 17ths person to become a vessel for a new Shard by taking something away from some (or all) of the existing Shards?

I had a similar question brewing for a while (the anti-Sazed situation):

If a Vessel dies and drops a body and two people attempt to pick up the Shard, what will happen?

I myself prefer the first of the three questions above. The answer, if we can get something other that a RAFO is actually very important to understanding what heck was going on there.

The event went well, for the most part. Huge crowd, great location. Someone did have a seizure during the reading, and a fire alarm went off for half an hour during the signing line, but... I dragged my friends along, and they all seemed to enjoy it! :)

I have video of the entire talking portion, and audio of the signing line, which Brandon told me has "some good questions/answers on it." I'll get the audio and the non-reading portion of the video uploaded sometime this weekend.

Here's what I asked:

Q: There are different kinds of spren that bond with people and it appears they’re based on a concept. Is it possible to have a concept which would make a Nahel bond that gives two Surges that don’t align to one of the Radiant orders?

A: Um, uh...this is a theoretical possibility that has not happened.

Now I'm wondering what sort of concept of a spren might correspond to Progression and Transportation. :)

Edit: I finally listened to the recording provided by Megalodon and found where my question was asked (just over halfway in, at 1:33). I didn't realize how hoarse I was at the time, which explains why the transcription had so many question marks in it. I managed to figure out the words I used to get that answer and updated the transcription as well.

Edited by heridfel

i'm going not sure what to ask him.

1. did the shard holders know what shards they were getting before they chose who got what

2. if someone was able to gather enough investiture from each shard could they become a 17th shard

3. is the world flat in shadesmer

not sure what to ask if i only get one

i got a rafo on one and two but for the second one he did say he couldn't answer it because it is to close to what is happening

Interesting, interesting. I wonder whether it is Hoid or the 17th Shard that are trying to do this. Probably the latter. Which would suggest that Hoid is somehow foiling them - maybe by lugging around Investiture they need. 

Woah, did I jump to conclusions there...

Interesting, interesting. I wonder whether it is Hoid or the 17th Shard that are trying to do this. Probably the latter. Which would suggest that Hoid is somehow foiling them - maybe by lugging around Investiture they need. 

Woah, did I jump to conclusions there...

I actually think that this is quite possible. The key argument against it is the second Letter identifying the position of non-interference on the part of .. .Frost?  But then is Frost really the patron saint of the 17th Shard?

The key arguments for are: (a) Hoid and the 17th Shard fencing on Roshar and (B) the fact that we have actually observed Hoid collect various types of Investiture - although probably not in the amounts that can make him a god of anything.

@ArgentHuh. That's kind of weird. We are going to need to find out why some spren can form Nahel bonds, while others can't. It might have something to do with why Syl considers windspren her cousins.

Whoa, Argent, hold it. Don't confuse have not with cannot.  It's subtle shades like this that can make all the difference in the worlds.

Huh. That's kind of weird. We are going to need to find out why some spren can form Nahel bonds, while others can't. It might have something to do with why Syl considers windspren her cousins.

i'm guessing the windspren will make kaladins shardplate and that each orders spren have lesser cousins that would do the same

Whoa, Argent, hold it. Don't confuse have not with cannot.  It's subtle shades like this that can make all the difference in the worlds.

I don't know. It's a fair point, but out of the potentially hundreds, if not thousands of spren types, why do the Radiants bind with only ten? That's probably a better question now that I think about it...

I started listening to the recording just for fun, and I noticed that there's a number of fun bits that aren't in the transcription. Nothing Cosmere-related - just fun stuff like an anecdote about Oliver Sanderson, stories from fans, &c. Is it a problem if I add those sorts of interesting bits to the transcription? Should I start a different document for such things? Or is nobody going to be interested if I bother transcribing them?

Thanks for the transcript patient people: I have been waiting for this one for very obvious reasons  -_- I feel mildly more satisfied some of my personal theory making turned actually being right  -_-

Edited by maxal