The weirdest epic power

Navy Seon

I guess Epic powers do not have to make real sense - if his powers are limited to modern-day-handguns, then he could never use a rifle, am energy-based handgun or an old dueling pistol for reasons unknown.
I mean, why could instabam use potatoes but not tomatoes? The difference is not that big...

Edited by Alfa

What the flip is curveballs power. Never running out of bullets doesn't make sense! Does he clone the bullets, teleport them, what? Never running out of bullets is not a power?! So what was his power?

I think curveball is about the weakest epic we've ever seen. Except, in Calamity, there's an epic who's jsut a glorified magaphone.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is Curveball called curveball anyway? it's not like he was some baseball pla......wait maybe he was. Perhaps his real ability is to have unlimited AMMUNITION! So whatever he throws or projects with the intent to harm, can be multiplied to infinity!

But magic is basically science we don't understand whereas science is what we DO understand. Maybe what we truly knew about Physics is really nothing compared what there is TO understand.

When I say this thread's title I instantly thought, the ability to have perfect balance.

Also in Calamity, we have linguistic Epics. The one that could speak any made-up language is probably the weakest. Although that would be seriously awesome.

Speaking in Elvish sounds fun. Or dragon. Totally useless though. Instant potato powers are better.

Also in Calamity, we have linguistic Epics. The one that could speak any made-up language is probably the weakest. Although that would be seriously awesome.

Technically all languages are made up so theoretically he's just a universal translator.

Technically all languages are made up so theoretically he's just a universal translator.

I got the feeling that Brandon Sanderson meant any constructed language with that. So my guess is that he could speak Klingon and Esperanto but not French, which wasn't "made up" in the same deliberate process as a conlang.

I got the feeling that Brandon Sanderson meant any constructed language with that. So my guess is that he could speak Klingon and Esperanto but not French, which wasn't "made up" in the same deliberate process as a conlang.

Universal decrypter then.  :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Ok, I've come up with a theory, as to how calamities gifting powers work, which could explain why most epic powers cannot be explained with laws of physics. He doesn't choose what powers he gives people. He chooses people who have inner most desires that would require super human abilities and/or view themselves as being more than human. He infuses these people with his raw energy and the powers they develop are based on these desires and self images.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I've come up with a theory, as to how calamities gifting powers work, which could explain why most epic powers cannot be explained with laws of physics. He doesn't choose what powers he gives people. He chooses people who have inner most desires that would require super human abilities and/or view themselves as being more than human. He infuses these people with his raw energy and the powers they develop are based on these desires and self images.

There are a fair number of useless powers according to WoB so I'm not sure if that pans out.

• Chaos locked this topic