Wayne and MeLaan and a Baby?!

jrh1524

Ok... I have a disturbing yet thought provoking question.

It's kinda weird.... so don't say I didn't warn you!

Say Wayne and MeLaan got married, do you think they could have a baby? Maybe MeLaan eats the fresh corpse of a woman and incorporates the corpse's woman parts into her body? Or maybe MeLaan has eaten enough corpses she's knows how to recreate all the plumbing.

Kinda disturbing, but what say you?

Actually, there was a question in the Genetics and interbreeding of Kandra at one point.
(Specifically, we wondered about Kandra and the sex industry. ... Don't ask why.)

Whilst Kandra could potentially use their muscle growth to grow sexual organs, we didn't think that Kandra and Humans could hybridise. However, Kandra being former humans certainly makes the concept interesting. in any case, there would be weird things with the spiritual DNA.

But, seeing as the Inquisitors, Kandra and Kolloss are humans with messed up SDNA, it might not be a good plan.

They could turn Wayne into a Kandra though. And then they'd be an immortal pair.

Do we have confirmation that not-full feruchemists can become mistwraiths?

And even if they did this he probably wouldn't be Wayne anymore. Ten-soon didn't seem to remember his life before TLR's ascension.

Ten Soon was Third Generation. Only the first generation were Terris from what I remember.

Well the First generation were Rashek's Friends, turn to Kandra and shorty after elevated to Kandra status, therefore they have still a lot of their memories.

It's possible that in the other generations there are some Kandras made by one of the original Mistwraith but in centuries without mind they lost everything of their previous life.

Actually, there was a question in the Genetics and interbreeding of Kandra at one point.

(Specifically, we wondered about Kandra and the sex industry. ... Don't ask why.)

Whilst Kandra could potentially use their muscle growth to grow sexual organs, we didn't think that Kandra and Humans could hybridise. However, Kandra being former humans certainly makes the concept interesting. in any case, there would be weird things with the spiritual DNA.

But, seeing as the Inquisitors, Kandra and Kolloss are humans with messed up SDNA, it might not be a good plan.

Kandra were never human, they came from Mistwraiths. Which were once human sure, but they're completely different creatures.

I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain it was stated that way. The reasoning I thought was: actual mistwraiths are nothing special. They are a true-breeding species of odd animal. They become sentient and immortal kandra when bestowed a Blessing.

Let me see if I can find the remark about mistwraith lifespans.

I don't think I've seen any time when Brandon has said that there are differences between mistwraiths that used to be feruchemists and 'natural' mistwraiths. When asked how intelligent they are, the response certainly made it seem like he was implying that all mistwraiths used to be human (here) so the impression I've always had is that the number of mistwraiths were fixed when the Lord Ruler created them. And clearly I was wrong so never mind.

Setting that aside and assuming for purposes of argument that anyone could be made a mistwraith, I suppose Harmony could make Wayne one (whether he would is another question, not the least because of the moral implications of inflicting Wayne on all those generations yet unborn) and as long as he got Blessings quickly enough, he'd probably retain most of his memories and his essential Wayne-ness. Except that you get right back to the problem MeLaan raised near the beginning of the book: They don't have spare Blessings, which is why they haven't had any new kandra since the Lord Ruler died. So it's sort of a non-starter. And this might be an issue if a human and kandra could have a child as well, since we have no idea what would happen. Given the spiritweb shenanigans the kandra have going for them, I suspect that if it's not impossible, it's at least massively unwise.

Edited by Weltall

Well, I haven't found the mistwraith lifespan yet, but I can show you that their numbers are not fixed, and that every generation after the First was never human:

from Mistborn Trilogy, Nook ebook edition, page 1793

"My people are created from mistwraiths," TenSoon explained, not even sounding winded. "The Lord Ruler turned the Feruchemists into mistwratihs, and they began to breed true as a species. You add a Blessing to a mistwraith, and they become awakened, turning into a kandra. One such as I, created centuries after the Ascension, was born as a mistwraith but became awakened when I received my Blessing."

Still looking for lifespan.

The following is not an exact lifespan, but does confirm that normal mistwraiths are not immortal:

Mistborn Trilogy, Nook ebook edition, page 1802

Though he changed his friends into kandra to restore their minds and memories, the rest he left as nonsentient mistwraiths. These bred more of their kind, living and dying, becoming a race unto themselves. From these children of the original mistwraiths, he made the next generation of kandra.

Also confirms that even as early as the Second Generation, new kandra were never humans.

Edited by NovaSeeker

Thanks. I still have no idea where I got "fifty year lifespan" though. Might've concocted that in my head all on my own.

Looking at the WoB to your question is interesting. I'd guess that every new mistwraith born has a brand new baby human soul, but its physical form does not allow the cognitive aspect to sync up with it, until it is Blessed.

Well, considering their nature as scavengers it's not inconceivable that they die often from starvation . . .

Turning Wayne into a mistwraith would probably still need Harmony to work, really, which is pretty overkill. And then we'll need to murder some people . . .

Modern koloss are a true-breeding species capable of sexual reproduction.

Koloss-bloods are generally just assumed to be spikeless children of true koloss, I believe.

Which is what I assumed, though I don't remember that ever being mentioned directly but I could just be forgetting it. Did Harmony make this change? Because I was pretty sure they weren't able to breed in tFE times.

Well, Empire koloss were all male . . .

But yeah, Harmony.

Weren't they genderless though? I at least don't think they were all male since any human could be turned into one. Seems unlikely they'd only choose men.

But this is getting off topic I guess. From what I've read in other forums, kandra seem to be able to manipulate their bodies on a cellular level. It seems possible that, if one were skilled enough, they could create the means to procreate. Is the question just whether the mix of kandra/human dna would be viable?