[Bands Spoilers] [Stormlight Spoilers] Fabrial Parallel

Moogle

An interesting parallel I noticed between the medallions and Soulcasters:

BoM:

“What’s this other ring built into the medallion?”

“That grants the warmth,” Allik said. “It is a grand combination— two attributes, from separate rings. Took us long to make these work, yah? The one I wear now, also grants two. Weight and Connection. I’ve seen medallions with three. Twice in my life only. Every attempt at four has failed.

Kings:

It was true; Jasnah really did have a functioning Soulcaster. And a powerful one too. Nine out of ten Soulcasters were capable of a few limited transformations: creating water or grain from stone; forming bland, single-roomed rock buildings out of air or cloth. A greater one, like Jasnah’s, could effectuate any transformation. Literally turn any substance into any other one.

It should be noted that Jasnah's Soulcaster can fit three gems - that is, can Soulcast any three substances at a given time. Her Soulcaster is of course fake, but matches the same description as Shallan's father's Soulcaster, which was real.

This, to me, suggests yet another link between the ancient Soulcasting fabrials of Roshar and the medallions made by those on Scadrial.

Which, in turn, implies to me that you are not tapping from the nicrosil in a medallion. You should need to be a Nicrosil Ferring to do that. But as we see with Soulcasting fabrials, one does not need to be a Surgebinder to use any Surge - the Surge is somehow encapsulated in the device itself.

• Chaos locked this topic