Twinborn Theory: Seeker-Windwhisper

NewbSombrero

I don't remember where I saw it, but someone asked Brandon about Feruchemical tin and a platypus's ability to sense electric pulses, and Brandon said it could be stored in a separate metalmind. (I don't remember if I'm getting the details right, but basically, it involved a sense beyond the normal human five.) So I'm wondering if a Seeker-Windwhisper Twinborn could store their Bronze "hearing" while also burning bronze, then tap, probably while burning, to be able to pierce copperclouds without Hemalurgy. Maybe it would even be helpful in more easily sensing other Investitures, since Brandon has stated that Bronze Allomancy can detect more than just Allomancy. Thoughts?

On the same subject could you store your sense of heat in a tinmind? Now that I think about it tin is a lot more powerful than I first thought.

It could probably store your "sense" of heat, which would prevent you from feeling cold or heat, but it wouldn't prevent the negative effects of extreme temperatures like brass does.

Similarly, you could probably store your sense of hunger or pain, but again it would only store the sense. You could still die of starvation or receive a fatal wound.

So I'm wondering if a Seeker-Windwhisper Twinborn could store their Bronze "hearing" while also burning bronze, then tap, probably while burning, to be able to pierce copperclouds without Hemalurgy. Maybe it would even be helpful in more easily sensing other Investitures, since Brandon has stated that Bronze Allomancy can detect more than just Allomancy. Thoughts?

My problem with this theory is that you can't store allomancy. Unless I misunderstand the theory, but just because bronze let's you "hear" pulses in a way, it's a completely different kind of hearing from the physical sense you feruchemically store in a tin mind.

My problem with this theory is that you can't store allomancy. Unless I misunderstand the theory, but just because bronze let's you "hear" pulses in a way, it's a completely different kind of hearing from the physical sense you feruchemically store in a tin mind.

I believe we have WoB that you could store the extra strength from pewter or the extra senses from tin so I wouldn't instantly rule it out.

The difference between electroreception and seeking is that the first is a natural sense, while the latter isn't.

The difficulty with storing seeking in a tinmind would be one of interference I imagine.

You are trying to use investiture to store something that is based on investiture itself, and as we know from compounding, allomancy uses vastly greater amounts of investiture than feruchemy does, logically making it difficult for feruchemy to directly affect allomantic properties. (maybe this is why it's been so difficult to crack "reverse compounding"?).

Also IMO any purely allomantic trait (as in, it doesn't exist outside of allomancy) would require so much metal to store it in that the tinminds required for storing seeking would be prohibitively large.

Perfect life sense is another matter, since we don't know on what principles it works. If, as I believe, it is based on spiritual connection (that all humans [should] have with all of humanity) than it would be possible to store it in a duraluminmind, but probably not a tinmind. If, on the other hand, it is an actual sense in the proper meaning of the word, a tinmind would be possible, but still not likely.

Then the problem becomes the manner of enhancement. Where on Scadrial investiture (both allomancy and feruchemy) enhances the quantity of information gathered by the senses, the Heightenings on Nalthis enhance the quality of the information.

Let's use hearing as an example, the second Heightening grants perfect pitch, but does not grant the ability to hear more sounds than a regular person. Conversely, however much you use a tinmind to enhance your hearing (so you could hear a pin drop a mile away) no amount of tapping that attribute will grant you perfect pitch (or any improvement to pitch at all).

As this is the case for Perfect Color Recognition (and probably Aura Recognition) as well, I don't see any reason for the trend not to extend to Perfect life sense too.

• Chaos locked this topic