Combined Shards

Oversleep

18 hours ago, Steel Inqusitive said:

Another thought, R and P had to work together to build, create, and cultivate. I feel like those two shards are not that different to Cultivation.

Logically, they are -1 and 0, respectively, to Cultivation’s +1. Honestly, I think the whole ‘Ruin and Preservation had to work together to create’ thing is dumb. If neither of them have the ability individually (Ruin can only degrade and Preservation can only preserve), then how exactly does destruction + preservation = creation? That’s never made a shred of logical sense to me, and that’s one of the very few things I think Brandon flat-out faux pas’d on storywise.

5 minutes ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

Logically, they are -1 and 0, respectively, to Cultivation’s +1. Honestly, I think the whole ‘Ruin and Preservation had to work together to create’ thing is dumb. If neither of them have the ability individually (Ruin can only degrade and Preservation can only preserve), then how exactly does destruction + preservation = creation? That’s never made a shred of logical sense to me, and that’s one of the very few things I think Brandon flat-out faux pas’d on storywise.

Same. It's one of those few things where your just like, huh?

But if Ruin plus Preservation equal Creation, would Preservation plus Cultivation equal Destruction?

8 minutes ago, Steel Inqusitive said:

Same. It's one of those few things where your just like, huh?

But if Ruin plus Preservation equal Creation, would Preservation plus Cultivation equal Destruction?

Technically I don’t think any Shard can truly ‘create’ in the philosophical sense. Not out of nothing anyway. I think the implication was that Ruin and Preservation formed Scadrial out of their own substances, with Preservation giving up a little more to ‘create’ humans. But yeah, I personally think it’s just a flat-out plot hole. At least as explained in the books.

2 hours ago, Fanghur Rahl said:

Ruin and Preservation had to work together to create

I always read it not as both had to be using their power together, but they had to both consent to creating a planet, because one could always block the other. So, since they were both on board, they both put in effort.

7 minutes ago, John203 said:

I always read it not as both had to be using their power together, but they had to both consent to creating a planet, because one could always block the other. So, since they were both on board, they both put in effort.

I’m pretty sure at some point in the first trilogy it’s pretty much explicitly said that neither one could create individually, only by working together could they do so. Though I don’t know the exact quote.

On 11/16/2018 at 5:33 PM, Fanghur Rahl said:

If that were true then Cultivation should have been drawn there as well, although I suppose that can be explained by her relationship with Tanavast.

Cultivation and Honor considered their romantic relationship as uhm a stepping stone to staying together.

Hell Aona and Skai stayed together despite having sort-off different shards because they acted as business partners lol

Even Ruin and Preservation - our best pair of opposed Shards - were not perfectly opposed, as in fact Ruin is more compatible with Cultivation.
And I think Cultivation and Preservation would also be considered opposites.

On 15.11.2018 at 6:32 AM, Drake Marshall said:

Although, I don't think you can necessarily create the exact same shardic intent from different combined shards.

I figure that no single shard's intent can be expressed as a combination of the other 15 shards' intents. This suggests that the 16 basic shard intents are linearly independent, which suggests that every single possible combination of shardic intents is unique.

Took the words out of my mouth.

14 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Even Ruin and Preservation - our best pair of opposed Shards - were not perfectly opposed, as in fact Ruin is more compatible with Cultivation.
And I think Cultivation and Preservation would also be considered opposites.

Took the words out of my mouth.

Ruin and Cultivation are similar in that they are both Shards of change, but in polar opposite ‘directions’. Ruin is change toward decay, and Cultivation is change toward growth. Whereas Preservation is essentially the opposition of all change of any kind. So all three of them are completely opposed to each other, with Ruin and Cultivation arguably being the most opposed, since they don’t just want to prevent the other from carrying out their intent like Preservation does, but they also want to do the exact opposite of each other.

• 1 year later...
  • Chaos locked this topic