Combined Shards

Oversleep

I think Ruin and Endowment would be more likely to fall under Sacrifice (Change and loss to enable giving to others). I think Honor and Endowment would likely be Fealty (Giving due diligence and respect to superiors).

11 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

Endowment+Cultivation= Creation

The ability to grant something plus the ability to maintain would be a perfect world quality of creation.

I am not sold on that. Cultivation is more of positive change, while in reality things can not change or be destroyed. I proposed Cultivation + Ruin = Change and Cultivation + Ruin + Preservation = Existence. Adding Endowment into this this could be Creation.

2 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I am not sold on that. Cultivation is more of positive change, while in reality things can not change or be destroyed. I proposed Cultivation + Ruin = Change and Cultivation + Ruin + Preservation = Existence. Adding Endowment into this this could be Creation.

Perhaps Cultivation+Endowment would be closer to Nurture?

14 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Your point is well taken. @Oversleep keeping that in mind I have a new possible shard charity.

Edited by Nathrangking

Ok...

** takes deep breath **

Honor / preservation - order

Honer / ruin - chaos

X3 bonus - honor / ruin / preservation - entropy

Cultivation / odium - vengeance 

Cultivation/ honor - virtuous

X3 bonus - cultivation / honor / odium - justice

** darth vadar music **

Odium / ruin - the death star!!

Sry couldnt help myself there.. im going with - Destruction

Im inclined to agree that theres more to it and due to unkown factors the same 2 shards could potentially merge into different double shards depending on.. unkown factors, like maybe connection, identity or location, etc.

E.g. if kel was to somehow hold preservation and get his hands on ruin would he become harmony or something else?

With this logic in mind we could conclude that we are all right with our descrepencies between our guesses!!

Hazzaaa!!

!~ HIF ~!

Edited by Hoids Imaginary Friend
Spelling spacing

27 minutes ago, Hoids Imaginary Friend said:

Ok...

** takes deep breath **

Honor / preservation - order

Honer / ruin - chaos

X3 bonus - honor / ruin / preservation - entropy

Cultivation / odium - vengeance 

Cultivation/ honor - virtuous

X3 bonus - cultivation / honor / odium - justice

** darth vadar music **

Odium / ruin - the death star!!

Sry couldnt help myself there.. im going with - Destruction

Im inclined to agree that theres more to it and due to unkown factors the same 2 shards could potentially merge into different double shards depending on.. unkown factors, like maybe connection, identity or location, etc.

E.g. if kel was to somehow hold preservation and get his hands on ruin would he become harmony or something else?

With this logic in mind we could conclude that we are all right with our descrepencies between our guesses!!

Hazzaaa!!

!~ HIF ~!

Lol Ruin is Entropy in his own right.

• 1 month later...

Combining Shards have been trending lately and we have this neat spreadsheet here so i thought we could bring this thread back to life.

The spreadsheet is linked in the first post, remember NOT to delete anything - if you disagree with something, please write about it here and we will discuss it and possibly delete it.

1 hour ago, CosmereAvair said:

I would like to think that Honor+Autonomy=Hubris, Hubris could even be a triple shard if you added Dominion

Hubris is kind of pride, I don't think that fits.

Maybe Cultivation+Devotion= Hope/Faith

You are welcome to add it yourself :)

Any reason some of the cells in the spreadsheet are black btw?

No cells you'd need are blacked out :)

• 3 months later...

Through this spreadsheet I've contemplated for the first time a Odium/Ruin combo. Scary stuff. Awesome post, Oversleep. 

One thing I don't necessarily disagree with but don't fully understand, is the Honor/Cultivation combo into Civilization. I've having trouble viewing Civilization as a god like being, to many facets of the concept. The textbook definition of honor is to hold in high esteem or an exulted presence and with the bare bones definition of cultivation being to prepare things to grow, I don't think the to of those equal Civilization. You could make the argument that honor could lead to cultivation which ultimately could end up as civilization. But I think Guidance or Prosperity would work better. 

Edited by Kered

On 1/17/2018 at 1:23 PM, Kered said:

Through this spreadsheet I've contemplated for the first time a Odium/Ruin combo. Scary stuff. Awesome post, Oversleep. 

One thing I don't necessarily disagree with but don't fully understand, is the Honor/Cultivation combo into Civilization. I've having trouble viewing Civilization as a god like being, to many facets of the concept. The textbook definition of honor is to hold in high esteem or an exulted presence and with the bare bones definition of cultivation being to prepare things to grow, I don't think the to of those equal Civilization. You could make the argument that honor could lead to cultivation which ultimately could end up as civilization. But I think Guidance or Prosperity would work better. 

Were I a highbound teacher of those who might influence humanity, covilization, the evolution of the human race upon Earth and in the common Universe, I would request that you attend a one on one discussion of some primciples I felt might benefit your perspective.

Having a well fleshed out perspective is essential, especially if you are an aspiring writer.

I obtained this "notion" after reading your wishbourn post. . . . Chaos indeed, to make such a thing a part of the common knowledge.

I am not yet familiar with the board, if you have a few minutes, message me so I can reply.

Edited by SallyA

On 25/01/2018 at 9:32 AM, The Allomantic Metalhead said:

Odium + Ruin = War???

While war is often bloody and devastating, it can be done for virtuous or noble reasons. Basically, not all war is waged through hatred alone. I think a better combo for Odium and Ruin would either be Chaos or Destruction. 

3 minutes ago, Kered said:

While war is often bloody and devastating, it can be done for virtuous or noble reasons. Basically, not all war is waged through hatred alone. I think a better combo for Odium and Ruin would either be Chaos or Destruction. 

I vote Devestation 

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Gavtyven said:

Triple shard of Ambition, Dominion and Odium could be Tyranny. While it's not a divine attribute, I feel like it fits too well to not be added. 

I think that Tyranny can be considered a divine attribute. Are not all natural laws tyrannical? They care nothing for the people that they effect. They cannot be evaded. You cannot bargain or plead for mercy.

As I thought about this, is it possible for multiple combinations of Shards coming up with the same intent? I know we don't yet know all the Shards yet but there must be other Shards with completely opposing intents like Preservation/Ruin. If a different set of Shards that diametrically opposed each other were to combine could they end up being the same intent?. Say if Odium (hate) and Devotion (love) combined, would they be Harmony or Discord as well?

I really don't know why not. Harmony is the expression of balance of two shards. So theoretically any two shards could be combined to form Harmony. (Then again..... With R and P being direct opposites maybe other combos would be less... harmonic?) 

Another thought, R and P had to work together to build, create, and cultivate. I feel like those two shards are not that different to Cultivation.

I agree that basically any fusion of near-diametrically opposed shards could aptly be called "Harmony"

Although, I don't think you can necessarily create the exact same shardic intent from different combined shards.

I figure that no single shard's intent can be expressed as a combination of the other 15 shards' intents. This suggests that the 16 basic shard intents are linearly independent, which suggests that every single possible combination of shardic intents is unique.