Want To Make A Video-Game With Me?

Hi guys,

I'm new to the Sanderson Fanbase community but a longtime Sanderson Fan. I have listened to the Stormlight Archives twice through via Audible and just started Way of Kings again. Sanderson's world creation ability is incredible, and these books keep pulling me back. 

Anyways, I've recently had a great idea about making a video game based on this universe. I'll explain it if there is enough interest. If anyone has experience in coding, 3D/2D art or game creation I'd like to open a discussion with you. 

I studied animation in college and know a lot about the 3D art creation pipeline so I'm looking for people with skills in character concept modeling and coding to help me out. Also, if anyone knows how to rig character models in maya then that would save me a lot of time relearning that skill. 

If you want to see some of the ideas about Stormlight - The Videogame, you can check out my "Introduce Yourself" post here: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/52812-stormlight-the-videogame-help-wanted/

Have a good one folks, hope to hear from you.

Chris

I'm not a coder or artist by any means, but I am a gamer. this game would be amazing if done right. I was wondering though; How would you deal with the Orders that haven't been shown yet? Obviously it would take time to make the game itself in which we might see more in Oathbringer. But still, there is a lot of the magic that we haven't seen yet and might not see for a long time.

On another less critical note. Would you pick your order from the start of the game or have in game choices during say the first level or two affect which spren is attracted?

Regardless this sounds really awesome and I wish you the best of luck!

edit: I wrote this without reading your introduction post so I didn't realize you were going to base it off of the actual book plot instead of just In-world game where you create your own character. Either way sounds fun!

p.s. If you do decide to switch from book-plot to just in-world I would love to help with creating quest plots and the like.

Edited by TwelfthOfSnackTime

i have a bit of a dramatic flair, and some writing skills, so i you want help with story, PM me. You can also contact stormgate who does coding and games as a hobbie. 

No. I already said no to one game, regretfully. Notting of the having of time and money.

I am potentially interested in the idea.

I can program.

I would like to hear how exactly this would be developed though. Would you use a game engine? Perhaps even write it in pure source code?

Drake has a point, what game engine will we use? Will we be using something like unity? I've already expressed interest over on the intro forum. I have some game design experience in a high school technology club and my friends and i started on a game. I have some coding experience, mostly cyber security,i have some 3d modeling experience (mostly blender) and i was in charge of quest design, development, and concepts in the game we were building. I would love to be a member of this project because i love the Stormlight Archive and i know the current books front to back.

Edited by Kaazi

Hi all!

Sorry about the long response time, currently I'm working two jobs with roughly 70 hours in each week. Rather then burning the candle at both ends it feels like I just threw the candle into a fire. Trying to save up some money so I can move to NYC and get a job in a field I studied (animation and music), but that's not relevant. If/when this project takes off I'll cut down my hours and devote more time to making this dream a reality. 

Thanks for all your responses! Time to answer your questions.

I'm not a coder or artist by any means, but I am a gamer. this game would be amazing if done right. I was wondering though; How would you deal with the Orders that haven't been shown yet? Obviously it would take time to make the game itself in which we might see more in Oathbringer. But still, there is a lot of the magic that we haven't seen yet and might not see for a long time.

On another less critical note. Would you pick your order from the start of the game or have in game choices during say the first level or two affect which spren is attracted?

Regardless this sounds really awesome and I wish you the best of luck!

edit: I wrote this without reading your introduction post so I didn't realize you were going to base it off of the actual book plot instead of just In-world game where you create your own character. Either way sounds fun!

p.s. If you do decide to switch from book-plot to just in-world I would love to help with creating quest plots and the like.

To start off we will be working on content creation. IE characters, environment, and basic game-play mechanics. The Orders would be a great class mechanic, and ideally will find there way into the game later on, however right now we need to get stick to a simple concept until we get enough people on board. By that time Oathbringer will probably be out and we will have more incite on the different Orders (classes) that will be available. Also, we can always attempt to make our creations canon with Sanderson's approval. I say this because I have a great idea about how we can use spheres as mana and currency. The more spheres you have the more mana you have. But how do you recharge your spheres? I don't think having your character wait until the next high storm would make the gameplay very engaging. So I thought of a fabriel that uses a gem heart to store stormlight and then recharge lesser spheres. Don't think it exists yet. Maybe Sanderson will like the idea. 

As far as book-plot/in-world is concerned. I think I propose a campaign mode with an open world mechanic, similar to skyrim. But again, this is looking far into the future. I also don't think a MMORPG would be the best game type to start with, because we would also have to take balancing into account, and thats a can of worms I don't want to open yet.

I am potentially interested in the idea.

I can program.

I would like to hear how exactly this would be developed though. Would you use a game engine? Perhaps even write it in pure source code?

I think pure source code may be a bit too ambitious right now. Mainly because I have no idea how we would do that. If you decide you're on board with the project and feel like you have the know-how to write all that code then we can consider it. However I think that would mean we will have deal with a lot of bugs as we fine-tune the code. It seems to me that using a free game engine such as Unreal or Unity would be the best way to start. The new Unreal 4 Engine is well, unreal. Starting with a tested and true foundation will make this process a lot easier. 

Thank you all for posting and especially those of you who want to help!

Warriormark16, CarolaDavar, and Kaazi. Your talents are vastly appreciated! Things we need to start working on are: character concept drawings, environment drawings, weapons/fabriel drawings, 3D character models and environment (based on the drawings), UI design, an early gameplay document, and coding for the early game. Feel free to get started on any of the above if you so choose, we just need to start compiling content. 

My vision for the early rendition of the game (just incorporating art and gameplay battle mechanics) is a dungeon crawler with the added mobility mechanic of being able to run on the walls and the ceiling. The story could be Szeth's assassination of Gavalar. Just a thought, needs to be filled out more. 

Another thing that needs to happen is if this project gets serious, I need to contact Sanderson and figure out how to avoid copyright infringement charges.

Thanks again folks!

I gotta pass out,

Chris

It seems to me that there certainly could be a fabrial that would redistribute Stormlight and could therefore recharge dun spheres, so I don't see why you couldn't do that. However, in the books, you can just swap out dun spheres for infused ones at different places. 

I don't play a ton of video games, but I'd say that the gameplay mechanics would be simultaneously very complicated and very awesome. Using a PS4 controller as an example (because it's what my girlfriend has), one of the shoulder buttons could be to Lash yourself, with the right joystick controlling the direction of your Lashing. Meanwhile, you could still control your movement with the left joystick.

Lashing other things/people would probably be more complicated. I think you'd have to have the action pause while you selected what/who you want to Lash. I would say that the action should start again as soon as you make your selection, so you'd still have to choose the direction while stuff is happening. Otherwise, you're getting a timeout to plan your perfect move.

I suppose you'd probably need a similar pause effect for doing a Reverse Lashing. It would be really annoying if it was easy to grab the wrong thing and Reverse Lash it, since a real Surgebinder would be very unlikely to do something like that. 

I think we should  all have solid jobs in order to avoid confusion. I'll get started on the tutorial level (Szeth's Assasination of Galivar). Just the quest pattering and story progression for now. We should compile a Gogle Doc or somthing of the like to stay in touch.

Just chiming in to say I recommend Unreal Engine over Unity, Unity locks out a lot of features unless you pay but Unreal only charges based on a royalties, which assuming you're not charging for the game means you don't need to pay anything.

I do have some experience with coding in unreal but I'm a bit busy to commit to a massive project like this. Still might pop in with suggestions from time to time though.

I've looked at both programs and i feel Unreal 4 is better for our vision of the game. I personally recommend Unreal4.

If any of you on the team want to contact me this is my Email: [email protected]. I have created a google document so we can collaborate and share ideas faster. And potentially work on it together. Send me your emails so i can allow you to work on the document.

I've been looking at a few comments on the intro page, and i think an approach to combat such as the game "For Honor" would be best. That would represent shardbearers and surgebinders well. Could we set up a way to contact with eachother better? 

Edited by Kaazi

Chris and i are switching to the online program "Trello" you should make an account. Draw any positions you feel are important. Make drawings to show from multiple angles so the animators can make a model for the character. Chris and i think it is a good idea to release a promo video to get the public engaged and show off our idea before we out too much effort into creating a game that might flop. We'll talk more once we have a team put together. Email me at: [email protected]

Chris and i are switching to the online program "Trello" you should make an account. Draw any positions you feel are important. Make drawings to show from multiple angles so the animators can make a model for the character. Chris and i think it is a good idea to release a promo video to get the public engaged and show off our idea before we out too much effort into creating a game that might flop. We'll talk more once we have a team put together. Email me at: [email protected]

Okay, i'll get onto it soon but not too soon, probably next week or so, because this week is hectic with LTUE where I am going to be selling some of my art

• 1 month later...

I can code and draw too, can I help in anyway? This threads been dead long enough to make me think this projects already burnt out- but I'm hoping maybe you're working off forum or something. I've never used Trello before, but I've got experience with Unity for what its worth. At the very least, I've got a few old side projects you might be interested in repurposing...

Edited by Unodus

My S/O is an extraordinary artist, (As in 2d art not 3d models), and I have a lot of experience with C++ (Although never in a game-making capacity).  If either one of us can be useful let me know.

EDIT: We both have full time jobs, so as long as there's no immediate deadline it should be doable.

Edited by Sennah

Fwiw, I am a programmer who would be interested in helping develop. I do not have experience in game design/creation but I do have a background in CS and work as a Software Engineer for a living so I imagine I can contribute. Drop me a reply here on the forum and I will send my email to you. Thanks!