Deciding on WOT Companion

Dame K

I adore WOT but I'm trying to decide whether I need the new companion. If you have it, how happy are you with it? Did it have any new info?

So basically it's just an encyclopedia, it doesn't have the nice histories that the old companion had. I just got it from the library, and decided I didn't need to buy it. You might want to do that as well.

I got it for Christmas, so I didn't have to actually pay anything for it. The next time I do a reread, I'm sure that it will come in handy, but honestly, that will likely be more for the feel of poring through a big ol' tome than it being more useful than a wiki. 

I'm sure the cynics out there will say that it's just one more cash grab, since they already assume the extended length of the series to be nothing but padding for the sake of making more money. I'm not one of those cynics, and I think that it's just a long-planned project whose creators forgot about science marching on. Thinking back to the mid-90s, something like this would have been awesome for any series I was into. But it's not the 90s anymore, and it's a lot easier to type a name into a wiki than to flip through an 800-page book.