Spook lives

Stormgate

Has it been suggested yet that Spook could be the leader of the Set? Just an idea that popped into my crazy brain. No basis for it.

Spook did seem to think that having old people kill themself to make Hemalurgic spikes was a 10 out of 10 idea.

Thats a very Set like mentality.

Edited by Full Metal Rithmatist

Why would he have to be in a speed bubble? 

It's entirely possible that whilst researching Kelsier predicament he "discovered" the same longevity secret that most of the worldhoppers seem to have.

I find it interesting that he ruled for 100 years then stepped down. No mention of death at all, no tomb or memorial, nothing. One would think there would be something to mark the "Lord Mistborn".

Why would he have to be in a speed bubble? 

It's entirely possible that whilst researching Kelsier predicament he "discovered" the same longevity secret that most of the worldhoppers seem to have.

I find it interesting that he ruled for 100 years then stepped down. No mention of death at all, no tomb or memorial, nothing. One would think there would be something to mark the "Lord Mistborn".

I thought there was a tomb for the Lord Mistborn? Isn't that mentioned in SoS somewhere?

It wasn't much of a spoiler but edited just to be safe, please keep SH spoilers to the SH board for now. Once we hit the 9th you can post them here in spoiler tags but until then we're keeping the spoilers contained there.

On topic I like to think that he went worldhopping, I don't see him just sitting around in a time bubble letting time pass him by, he'd be doing something at least.

Does the ability to worldhop grant extended life? Once you have enough power/knowledge to worldhop you don't age?

I have no idea... but i think Voidus is on target. I can't see Spook "sitting around" if he could be out having adventures.

The disturbing thought was the result of a question I asked Brandon on a reddit Q&A. I suggested using hemalurgy in that way as a result of knowing the Set's motivations and trying to think of a way of achieving similar ends that wouldn't be so evil. Also, Brandon had previously said that Sazed was against the use of Hemalurgy and I had suggested it as a implementation of Hemalurgy that Harmony might be more amenable to. 

I tried digging for where I asked the question but I haven't been able to find it. So yes, it is a very "Set" minded idea.

But I don't think Spook is involved with the Set, especially since it's very much clearly a Trellist organization and Spook personally knows Harmony/Sazed. He would not decide to start worshipping another God even if he tends to think of Harmony as Sazed (human) instead of a God. When you know for a fact that your God is a good person that you like, I don't think you turn against them.

And I still think it's a 10/10 idea. More investiture++ Yay!

Edit: Found the link https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/1lhf1e/worldcon_flash_ama_brandon_sanderson/cbzk9vt

Edited by DisturbingTheorist

spook would have taken volunteers to be spiked, he wouldn't have spiked unwilling people. especially not just to experiment, as the set seems to have done. plus, if spook wanted to reach some goal - any goal - all he would need to do would be reveal himself, and everybody would fawn over him. he's actually worshipped as a god. he wouldn't need to start a secret society.

spook would have taken volunteers to be spiked, he wouldn't have spiked unwilling people. especially not just to experiment, as the set seems to have done. plus, if spook wanted to reach some goal - any goal - all he would need to do would be reveal himself, and everybody would fawn over him. he's actually worshipped as a god. he wouldn't need to start a secret society.

I think being worshipped as a god might have an effect on someone. Might make them think they can just take what they want. Especially if people decided not to volunteer. Not saying I think it's very likely, but I do think there is a chance. Mainly because I think it would be cool for good ol' Lestibournes to play the "bad guy".

Now that I think about it there's a good chance Spook had himself spiked at the end of his life.

He probably didn't ask other old allomancers to spike themselves because he wanted to keep Hemalurgy a secret. But there's really no good reason for him not to do it.

Especially if he found a way to keep the initial spikee alive while the second uses the power. Even if that power is reduced. Does anyone know how many copies of the Hemalurgy books are on Scad? I think I remember both Marasi and Wax reading two separate books. And if there are more of them, then Spook most likely didn't teach the Set about Hemalurgy. Edited by The Ninja Yodeler

Where is Spooks ideas to spike old Allomancers/Ferruchemists mentioned?

I don't remember that... But possibly, I really just forgot...

More about topic:

I think he's still around as well. I have to agree, it would be a great plot twist if the Lord Mistborn himself got leader of the Set, but I liked Spook, I don't want him to be evil :P

Where is Spooks ideas to spike old Allomancers/Ferruchemists mentioned?

I don't remember that... But possibly, I really just forgot...

It's written in his book of Hemalurgy somewhere. Marasi muses on it, and how disturbing it is because it's so reasonably thought-out. Basically take people who are already terminal and spike them so you don't lose the power forever when they die. I forget which scene - it might have been at the gravedigging?

Should be noted that Spook wasn't advocating murder. He stipulated that you could ask the terminal or elderly to volunteer for spiking.

Disturbing? Yes. Reasonable.... yes.

Yeah, I keep trying to see an angle where Spook gets fed up with having nobody volunteer. And just starts doing it. But I really don't see him doing that. I mean , he did live through a time where Inquisitors did just that, forcibly taking abilities. But maybe he advocated Hemalurgy around the wrong person, and they began what would become known as The Set through their secret testing of Hemalurgy. I'm really just trying to exhaust all options that might have led to Spook having a hand in the Set.

I don't think, statistically speaking, every last person asked would say no. That's a little too "neat" to make the world and society feel real. (It reads too much like a story and not a plausible event.)

I think it makes more sense to say that Spook is innocent of any wrong doing. He developed a humane way of spiking people (complete anesthetization of the voluntary donor and recipient, followed by painless euthenization if the donor survived the spiking maimed but still not quite dead). 

But, once you know something and share it, it's hard to keep the genie in a bottle. The Set, if they were not given Hemalurgy by this outside "Trell" influence, most likely can trace the origin of their knowledge to Spook. But that doesn't mean he condones their actions.

I dunno. If it was donating an organ after I am dead that is one thing, but if I knew hemalurgy ripped away a part of my soul, I would be more hesitant given we do not know how that would affect a person going into the afterlife lol. But understand even though I am agnostic and love technology, for instance with teleportation, I still operate under the premise of "can it be proven that the person that is compiled on the other side is really me me, and not a copy me, while the me me is no more? Because I am the me me, and I wanna kinda stay the me me, so I think I will walk" lol.