[BoM spoilers] Our incorrect assumptions about medaillons

yurisses

8 minutes ago, StanLemon said:

Allomancy requires Intent as well, yet we've seen it be used unconsciously

While yes, that's true, we've been told nothing of the sort for Feruchemy, and we've been directly told that the only metal you can store while sleeping is bronze... And that only because storing puts you into an unproductive sleep that allows you to skip sleep later. 

And there still the fact that the medallions rely on the Excisors.

Theres also this saying that duralumin (Connection) is involved. 

Questioner

Does creating unsealed metalmind involve Feruchemical duralumin?

Brandon Sanderson

(hesitating)...Yes. I will write it all out for you eventually. I want to get at least one more book done, then you find out exactly why and how.

Questioner

Because I was pretty confused about the Investiture and Spiritweb...

Brandon Sanderson

Here is the reason I'm kind of hesitant of this, [why not you just RAFO this one right now], but it is not a RAFO, because it is like it's a secret. I want to write it out exactly how it happens, because I have it in my notes in bullet points and it's complicated, right? Cause I want some of the things in the magic system as be as complicated as for instance explaining how a computer works right now. You can do it, but you know...I want the magic to start getting that technical if that makes sense. When you say "involve", right, that's a big word. Why just don't you let me, after lost metal...if I haven't released it, you have permission to come to me and say: "Brandon, you said you would release this, you haven't yet [...]" and I will give to you the bullet point flowchart of how you build the unkeyed metalminds.

Leipzig Book Fair (March 24, 2017)

We either get an explanation in TLM, or he'll give us the flowchart of how it works. 

But frankly, if it's "store Identity, store in Nicrosil, done" I don't see why it needs a flowchart to begin with. 

• 7 months later...

I thought I had after reading this topic:

What if the nicrosil in the medallions is really a nicrosil-ettmetal alloy?

Here's my thought process:

The primer cubes have a switch that controls whether the ettmetal is "waiting for instructions" or if it's performing Allomancy/Feruchemy. So ettmetal is programmable.

So maybe ettmetal alloys are also programmable and the nicrosil-ettmetal alloy has Identity-less Investiture and it is somehow programmed to release the Investiture when the other metalmind is tapped. That way the user would not have to consciously tap the nicrosil.

On 10/17/2019 at 3:00 PM, Calderis said:

While yes, that's true, we've been told nothing of the sort for Feruchemy, and we've been directly told that the only metal you can store while sleeping is bronze... And that only because storing puts you into an unproductive sleep that allows you to skip sleep later. 

And there still the fact that the medallions rely on the Excisors.

Theres also this saying that duralumin (Connection) is involved. 

We either get an explanation in TLM, or he'll give us the flowchart of how it works. 

But frankly, if it's "store Identity, store in Nicrosil, done" I don't see why it needs a flowchart to begin with. 

Allik teaches Marasi and the gang to tap Brass in their sleep in BoM. It would seem that you can tap a metalmind unconsciously it just takes practice. You might  not be able to store this way though.