Stormlight The Videogame: Help Wanted

Greetings 17th Shard Community!

Long story short: I want to create a Stormlight Archives video game and I need your help!

Long story long: I've been a Sanderson fan since 2013. I've listened to all of the Mistborn audiobooks and love them, but the Stormlight Archive books are my favorite by far. I have listened to both twice and am on my third run though of The Way of Kings. I think these books have an incredible amount of potential in the worlds of film and media. Sanderson's writing has the ability to create massive emotional shifts in the reader; he can make you convinced that all hope is lost, and then turn the tables in one empowering instant. I was listening to Words of Radiance during my current day-job and had to physically restrain myself from jumping in the air and cheering when Kaladin regained his powers and Syl returned to him (being vague to avoid spoilers).  

In any case, I am also a video game enthusiast. I wouldn't categorize myself as a gamer, but I do enjoy video games as both a storytelling device and an art form. Sanderson is a brilliant world-creator and I think the Stormlight Archives could easily be translated into a action-adventure video game with an array of interesting gameplay mechanics, characters, and storylines. The progression of the Way of Kings is perfect for a compelling video game storyline: Starting with Szeth hunting King Gavalar to give the player a taste of the gameplay mechanics in a tutorial section, followed by taking everything away during the period of time Kaladin is in captivity to establish a character progression. The War of Vengeance perfectly alines with classic dungeon crawler gameplay, with the common trope of the hero (Kaladin, Dalinar, Adolin, or Szeth) slaying hoards of enemies (Parshendi) along a segmented map (plateaus in the Shattered Plains). However I would want the game to be a 3rd person melee similar to Shadow of Mordor by Monolith Productions. I think there are a lot of interesting ways surge binding could make the gameplay unique. Ideally the game will end up as an open world where the player can fly (fall) all the way across Roshar, but I'm getting ahead of myself. 

If any of this sounds interesting to you folks I would love to here from you. If enough people are interested, I would like to start a small production company to try to accomplish this goal (if we can get permission from Sanderson). I have a decent amount of experience in the video game creation pipeline due to several game studio courses I took in college. However my expertise lies primarily in the art and animation fields, so I need some people who know how to code in order to put everything together. I intend to move forward with this project on my own, but any help will gladly be accepted.

If you are at all interested in:

Coding for gaming

Game creation

Fan art creation

3D Modeling

Character Rigging

Please let me know.

As you can tell if you've read this far, I have big dreams about this game. In reality we will have to start small and build up. I hope some of you lovely folks will join me to make this dream become reality. 

If you have any questions just ask.

Sorry about the long introductory post, I hope you all have a lovely day.

Chris

Hi guys!

Thanks for wanting to help! Stormgate; sorry to hear you won't have time. CorolaDavar; thanks for offering to help :) I'm basically compiling different character model ideas right now. If there is any work you would like to send me of full body character drawings that would be awesome. I think I want the art style of the game to walk a line between cartoony (exaderated features) and realistic.

Thanks a lot, I'll keep in touch,

Chris

Hi guys!

Thanks for wanting to help! Stormgate; sorry to hear you won't have time. CorolaDavar; thanks for offering to help :) I'm basically compiling different character model ideas right now. If there is any work you would like to send me of full body character drawings that would be awesome. I think I want the art style of the game to walk a line between cartoony (exaderated features) and realistic.

Thanks a lot, I'll keep in touch,

Chris

Okay... I think I can do that.. (though I have to admit that it will take a long time, because I am doing drawings for some people who are getting a table at Comicon fan X) but, just tell me which characters you want, and i'll get them done

As a wannabe programmer, I would love to participate in this. Unfortunately I have neither the time, money, nor resources to devote to such a project. I wish you the best of luck.

Like stormgate i too am a budding programmer. I want to expand my skills and i certainly would love to help out on this any way i can. I worked on a highschool competitive game design team 2 years ago and i have been expanding my skills since then. What programs would we be using and how could i help? Although i would like to stress i am by no means talented, i will be glad to improve and help.

Edited by Kaazi

I humbly volunteer my services as a game tester. I don't have many skills to contribute to this project, but I want to help in any way that I can. If you need a writer or a plot-planner (don't know the term for those) then I can also do that (within reason. I still have school and other activities that might get in the way).

Also, you night want to move this project to the creator's corner instead of the introduction section.

Edited by Kynedath

Long story short: I want to create a Stormlight Archives video game and I need your help!

I unfortunately and not very skilled at coding, but I may be able to offer some design and story input. Also, welcome to the forums!

One other thing: I've done a bit of searching on Google and I haven't found any games based in this universe so far. Have I missed anything?

Unfortunately there aren't any games so far, but the Mistborn game is set to be released this year.

Obviously everyone has different taste in games, so this is just my two cents... But I actually disagree with your concept for the game. Some of my reasoning:

1. The Shattered Plains aren't a very... varied setting. I don't see how every "mission" won't be practically the same thing over again and again. You can't change much more than the shape of the plateaus, and the Parshendi all look pretty similar (for the most part, without getting into spoilers). I don't see how it would be interesting without changing what's in the books, which fans don't normally approve of.

2. Games that follow too closely with a book/movie that has already been produced rarely work well. It constrains the story and makes the game feel hollow.

3. I don't see a way to incorporate all kinds of surgebinding. Many of them are yet undefined, and even among those we know... there's just so much variety. They all have such different uses. And even if you constrain things to those good for combat... I don't see how you can create something that works. The ability to fly across Roshar is... incredibly overpowered compared to the ability to slide across the ground on your legs, for example. And how would it be possible to control the surge of gravitation in a natural way with a video game controller? You'd have to dumb down the power, which I don't think I like the idea of.

4. Stormlight Archives is so much bigger than the War of Reckoning. And fighting in general. Yeah, fighting happens. But something like Shadows of Mordor just takes things too far in that direction for my tastes.

Some of my thoughts in random order:

1. Setting the game in ALL of Roshar is way too grand. Even for a major game producer. You would need to stick to a smaller area. Something the size of Alethkar at MOST.

2. It shouldn't be a game "where you fight through hordes of enemies." At least, not if you also want it to have the scope your suggesting. If it's just a hack-and-slash game like Dynasty Warriors then that works. But it needs to be handled more carefully otherwise.

3. There's no good way to let the player use ALL surges. Think about which surges make sense in a video game (how would they be used? balance issues? etc.) and how the mechanics would work (how does a player actually do it). Only use the ones that work.

4. Stay away from the main characters and main events from the book. There's a whole world out there. Plenty of room for great stories, characters, and action that runs parallel with the books. Maybe a cameo here or there.

This seems so much better suited to a large scale RTS.

Perhaps something in the Command & Conquer venue, using gems in place of stormlight, and giving every highprince a faction?

(Red Alert 2 seems like a good prototype.)

Regardless, I can probably lend a hand or two in coding. Largely depends on what language you'd like to use.

Long story long: I've been a Sanderson fan since 2013. I've listened to all of the Mistborn audiobooks and love them, but the Stormlight Archive books are my favorite by far. I have listened to both twice and am on my third run though of The Way of Kings. I think these books have an incredible amount of potential in the worlds of film and media. Sanderson's writing has the ability to create massive emotional shifts in the reader; he can make you convinced that all hope is lost, and then turn the tables in one empowering instant. I was listening to Words of Radiance during my current day-job and had to physically restrain myself from jumping in the air and cheering when Kaladin regained his powers and Syl returned to him (being vague to avoid spoilers).  

In any case, I am also a video game enthusiast. I wouldn't categorize myself as a gamer, but I do enjoy video games as both a storytelling device and an art form. Sanderson is a brilliant world-creator and I think the Stormlight Archives could easily be translated into a action-adventure video game with an array of interesting gameplay mechanics, characters, and storylines. The progression of the Way of Kings is perfect for a compelling video game storyline: Starting with Szeth hunting King Gavalar to give the player a taste of the gameplay mechanics in a tutorial section, followed by taking everything away during the period of time Kaladin is in captivity to establish a character progression. The War of Vengeance perfectly alines with classic dungeon crawler gameplay, with the common trope of the hero (Kaladin, Dalinar, Adolin, or Szeth) slaying hoards of enemies (Parshendi) along a segmented map (plateaus in the Shattered Plains). However I would want the game to be a 3rd person melee similar to Shadow of Mordor by Monolith Productions. I think there are a lot of interesting ways surge binding could make the gameplay unique. Ideally the game will end up as an open world where the player can fly (fall) all the way across Roshar, but I'm getting ahead of myself. 

If any of this sounds interesting to you folks I would love to here from you. If enough people are interested, I would like to start a small production company to try to accomplish this goal (if we can get permission from Sanderson). I have a decent amount of experience in the video game creation pipeline due to several game studio courses I took in college. However my expertise lies primarily in the art and animation fields, so I need some people who know how to code in order to put everything together. I intend to move forward with this project on my own, but any help will gladly be accepted.

If you are at all interested in:

Coding for gaming

Game creation

Fan art creation

3D Modeling

Character Rigging

Please let me know.

As you can tell if you've read this far, I have big dreams about this game. In reality we will have to start small and build up. I hope some of you lovely folks will join me to make this dream become reality. 

If you have any questions just ask.

Sorry about the long introductory post, I hope you all have a lovely day.

Chris

My cousins went to school for video game design and they have many big ideas for a Mistborn game. I'll let them know that there is interest in making a stormlight game as well and I'll send them your way. 

• 6 months later...

This might be a bit late, but I would LOVE to help out with writing the story for the world, and building the setting, as in. Do you want the game to be set in the period of the books. Or as in like before the Recreance, where you play as a new Radiant, however this would mean you need to limit the orders to choose from.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...