Calamity Tour: Chicago / Naperville

Argent

Kurkistan, in your Google doc the links to the audio of both the Lightning Round and Signing Line are the same.  

...of course they are. Because apparently even setting up a glorified Word document for others to do all the work on is beyond me.  -_-

Thanks for pointing out the error.

Fantastic news my friends! (/sarcasm)

My recorder got bumped a few minutes in to the signing portion of last night's event, causing everything after that unusable. (It sounds like the external-mic cable got disconnected judging by the static and garbling, and I hadn't set the recorder to use its on-board mics. :P) I am quite disappointed because the audio was SO crisp, despite where we had to put the recorders. (Seriously? A chair beside the table in full-edge of traffic of people walking through to get pictures?! /grumble)

When I picked it up when we were leaving, it seemed to fix it, so I do have the last few questions we asked while standing around at the end.

I've cleaned it up (it's about 4mins long) and here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3-FW93u6i_-UnpCNUZCaWZJWGM/view?usp=sharing

I also took the liberty of running your audio of the signing questions,  Volratho, through some cleaning up and post-effects to make it more audible, and I think it came out okay. Well enough that you should be able to transcribe Brandon near 100% and most of the question-askers as well (a few are a little quiet, but you can only hope for so much.) So hopefully this works well enough to get us the whole signing! (Disregard the obnoxious levels in the beginning, they quiet down as the crowd dies down and the noise-reduction filter kicks in): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3-FW93u6i_-Y2VsNWNnRmJ6eWs/view?usp=sharing

*Is still doubly-irate over the fuss of recording audio/having to move them to a chair and my recording getting messed up because of it*  :angry:

*checks*

Yep, both hyperlinks are the same, but the actual text of the link is different. I've updated the link in your post using my godlike mod powers, Zmann; I hope you don't mind.

--

The doc should be updated now.

Q: Is the only reason that Yolen is not reachable, according to Khriss, because it doesn’t have any sentience on it thinking of it as a planet, so it doesn’t appear in the Cognitive?
A: Ahh, no. Good question, but no.

This was the best question in the signing, I think. Quite interesting that the answer is 'no'...

Q: Is the only reason that Yolen is not reachable, according to Khriss, because it doesn’t have any sentience on it thinking of it as a planet, so it doesn’t appear in the Cognitive?

This was the best question in the signing, I think. Quite interesting that the answer is 'no'...

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm actually very surprised that it didn't get RAFO'd

Q: Was the shattering of Adonalsium done, for the forces to attack the Anti-Adonalsium?

A: You’re focusing too much on the idea of the anti-adonalsium. What was really asked is “is there a force that opposes Adonalsium” and it left me a lot of wiggle room. In other words, the people who killed it was a force, or any person who opposed Adonalsium. What they were trying to get was a “devil” but that assumes Adonalsium is a more Christian-style God, and I have not confirmed that.

A-ha! While this does not exactly confirm it, I nevertheless think that this is a very strong hint that the "force that opposes Adonalsium" from the previous WoB is indeed the folks who brought him down and took up Shards (plus whoever helped them).

I also liked the question (not yet finalized, I think) about the opinions of vessels vs. non-vessels - from the context I take it the question was roughly about whether offing Adonalsium was considered a good idea? The answer makes a lot of sense.

I keep doing this thing where I feel bad for asking questions when it's my turn on the personalization line, so I do a poor job and rush things... I need to work on that.

I also uploaded my audio as well, though I will admit the timestamps probably don't match. I only listened to a few minutes of it here and there, so I know it's not terrible, but it's not good. 

I feel like I've somehow failed Chicago by choosing to hang out with fans instead of lurking three feet away from Brandon and memorizing everything in case of bad audio... =\

You guys are killing it with the transcription and clarification of the stuff I couldn't quite hear. Awesome job!

Sidenote: Next time someone tries to move/displace our recording devices, remind me to forcibly oppose them.

Better yet, remind me to ask Brandon if I can put a lavalier on him and hold a reporter's interview mic up to everyone asking a question. I mean I can get audio THIS CLEAR on a crowded convention floor... And we're here struggling to hear people ask questions in a bookstore?!

/more grumbling

• 2 weeks later...

PAFO up:

Kurkistan

Kurk: So when that cork [in Bands of Mourning] was thrown above the train, if the cork had been thrown by someone who was standing _besides_ the train, what would have happened when the bubble hit [the cork]? So the bubble's moving at 60mph and the cork [is not moving laterally relative to the bubble] and gets hit by a bubble...
Brandon: Right. Right right right... So... this one's complicated. Let me see if I can... So anything that touches the bubble will be immediately lodged into the bubble, and be hit by that... So say you throw something up, the bubble hits it, is that what you're asking?
Q: Yeah.
A: But it does not have "momentum" the same as the thing? So it would probably be in the bubble for a short time.
Q: So if I threw the cork straight, and then the bubble came from the right, the cork would shift to the right within the bubble as the bubble thought it was moving or something?
A: <thoughtful noises>
Q: So the bubble thinks the cork is travelling like 60mph North, the cork thinks it's not moving at all...
A: Yeah...
Q: So does the cork move the opposite direction of the bubble or something?
A: Ask Peter the math on that one, and I'll have him run the math. That one's kind of... it's kind of like the time travel train experiment stuff, with the flags and things. So let's go ahead and PAFO that one.

[Editor's note: I had some typos/grammatical errors in my initial transcription that are here corrected for consistency with the final transcript, but the meaning remained the same]

To restate the scenario in more understandable terms (phase 2 is to use diagrams, if it comes to it and I still don't manage to get it across):

Say Cory the cork-thrower is standing besides a train track. Cory is facing North and the train is running from West to East. Cory tosses a cork North up over a passing train. Normally, this cork would go over the train and land on the ground directly opposite Cory to the North.

From the frame of reference of Cory and his cork, the train is moving West->East. From the frame of reference of the train, the train isn't moving at all and the cork is moving both South->North and East->West (i.e., Northwest). So if we were to draw a line describing the cork's movement, Cory's line would have the cork moving South->North over a moving train. The train's line would have the cork travelling Southeast->Northwest as it described a diagonal across the train.

If there's a bubble on the train, that's where things get complicated. When the bubble hits the cork, does the train's frame of reference "take over" so far as it's direction of travel goes? So far as the train is concerned, nothing really changes: the cork is still describing that same diagonal, just more quickly/slowly. But so far as Cory and his cork are concerned, all the sudden the cork is moving laterally (East->West) corresponding to the train's frame of reference. The question, then, is where the cork lands when all's said and done: does it still land directly North of Cory after it passes over the train, or does it land a bit to the West or East as well?

-----

My thoughts/model on this would be that it also lands West/East. If the bubble was a bendalloy bubble, then the corks diagonal passage would be accelerated, meaning that it pops out of the bubble off to the West of where it would have otherwise. A cadmium bubble would still move the cork to the West according to its frame of reference, but because of how slow the bubble itself is in motion the cork would still end up East of Cory.

Peter:
The bubble's frame of reference would take over while it's inside. But you also need to include the fact that bubbles deflect things. The cork would be deflected both when it enters and when it leaves the bubble. So you can't completely predict the path it will take.
-
<At this point the conversation kept on for a bit as things grew... complicated. We misunderstood one another [which I take the blame for] on several crucial fronts and ended up talking past one another. Long story short is that I'd been implicitly assuming absolute relativity of reference frames in the cork-bubble system—so while both types of bubble would drag the cork along for a bit, that dragging would also be offset (to varying degrees based on bubble type/compression) by lateral movement of the cork within the bubble. This is wrong.>
-
Peter:
If the train is moving east, and he throws the cork over the train, a bubble that slows the cork down will mean the cork ends up east of him.

If the train is moving east, and he throws the cork over the train, a bubble that speeds the cork up will mean the cork ends up on the other side of the train faster than it would have with no bubble. It doesn't move west.

If the speed bubble only very slightly increases the flow of time, then the cork could even end up slightly east of him, depending on the speed of the train.

So depending on the speed or slowness of the bubble, and the speed of the train, the cork will either end up exactly where the thrower expects it to, but more quickly, slightly east of where he expects, but more quickly, or quite a bit east of where he expects, more slowly. The cork doesn't move west.

In fact, I think it's safe to assume that the train is always moving to the east faster than the thrower is throwing the cork to the north. In that case, both types of bubbles will always end up pushing the cork at least somewhat to the east.

Let's do the math here.

Say the bubble is 10 feet in diameter and the cork toss hits the bubble right in the center. He tossed the cork at 5mph. The bubble is 2x speed. That means the cork goes 10 mph across the train (measuring from the frame of reference of the tosser). The train is moving at 50 mph. The cork crosses the train in 0.682 seconds. In that time the train moves 50 feet to the east. So the cork ends up 50 feet to the east of where the tosser expected it to.

If the bubble is 100x speed, the cork goes 500mph across the train, and in that time the train moves 1 foot. The cork ends up 1 foot to the east of where the tosser expected it to, but much faster than he expected.

If the bubble is 1/2 speed, then the cork goes 2.5 mph across the train. The cork crosses the train in 2.727 seconds. In that time the train goes 200 feet to the east. The cork ends up 200 feet to the east of where the tosser thought it would end up.

If the bubble is 1/100 speed, then the cork goes 0.05 mph across the train. The train moves 1.9 miles in the time it takes the cork to cross the train. The tosser has no idea where it ends up, but he watches it hovering over the train as the train goes off into the distance.

As far as the cork is concerned, it can't tell the difference whether it's moving through a stationary bubble or a (laterally) moving bubble. From the cork's point of view it moves in a straight line either way.
-
<Some doodles got involved at one point or another, and it was also confirmed that the path of the cork (barring refraction) would stay the same once it left the bubble, still going directly north>

----------------------

Kurk's Kommentary: Well that's interesting. I'd been assuming relativity of reference frames, but it looks like there needs to be some other mechanism at work to decide how the cork is "really" moving. I don't think this necessarily messes with current FTL models, but it requires some rethinking. The "everything we know" thread will need to be reworked to excise my relativity-based analysis and incorporate this.

Edited by Kurkistan

That is... bizarre. So, once something crosses the threshold, it gets a new relative velocity unrelated to its prior one, and once it leaves the same thing happens. Because if you threw a cork over a train that had no time bubble, it wouldn't be dragged along by the train.

Yeah.

So essentially the cork is all "I'm moving north and not moving east/west" and then the bubble hits it and is all like "oh look an object that's moving north but not moving east/west!" The bubble looks to show a remarkable amount of respect for the notions of the objects it eats.

Well, time bubbles (presumably) change spacetime itself, so the cork would be moving from an area of a given... density of spacetime, into an area whether it is thicker/thinner. It kind of makes sense that if spacetime itself is, for example, thinner, you would gain velocity relative to your original velocity. There is now less space you need to traverse, and so if preservation of energy is to still hold, you need to appear gain relative velocity. 

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to going through the rest of the transcript, including as it turns out a minute or two of the lightning round that my recording had but the provided one did not. It's good enough for government work at this point, so I'm going to paste the whole thing here for searchability:

Chicago / Naperville Signing, February 22, 2016

Audio

Signing Line:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3-FW93u6i_-Y2VsNWNnRmJ6eWs/view?usp=sharing

-(Disregard the obnoxious levels in the beginning, they quiet down as the crowd dies down and the noise-reduction filter kicks in)

“Lightning round” Q/A

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3-FW93u6i_-UnpCNUZCaWZJWGM/view

Transcript:

Signing line:

[03:12]
Q: What race is Sazed?
A: The Terris have intermixed to the point that they… Skin tone run the gamut, from being indistinguishable to being darker skinned. When I say darker-skinned I mean say, like as perhaps as a dark Indian, East Indian… But they can range in that skin tone.

[05:40]
Q: What does Curiosity mean to you? We see Vin talking to Kelsier and developing trust just because she is curious. Same thing with Moash and Kaladin, so what is curiosity?
A: I think curiosity is one of the driving forces in the human experience. You read books because of curiosity, you watch shows because of curiosity. Almost everything we do, curiosity is a basic motivation. It’s kinda what makes us human.

[28:30]
Argent: Splinters are self-aware yes?
A: Yeah

[29:20]
Argent: Returned, they don’t quite fit the other splinters—their Breath, rather—because it’s the divine breath that’s the splinter right?
A: Ehhhhhhh…. Ehhhhhhh....

Q: Okay, that was vague.

A: Not a 100% correlation there
Q: So in that case it’s not entirely fair to say that the Returned are vessels for...
A: No… Well, more vessels than the people that are in T’Telir… So, Endowment is in control of  what’s happening, right?

Q: The giving of _____

A: Yes. So what you’ve got to remember—and this is something that people keep mistaking is- something like a spren is still part of the god, and it’s not that different from the fact that the rock has a part of the body in it, and that everything is kind of made—in [the] Mistborn world in particular—everything is made out of their essence. And so… the breath _are_ similar, but it’s less that- they’re not autonomous in most cases and it’s more like- it’s like a hybrid of what’s happening in Mistborn where everybody’s got a bit of Preservation in them. Everyone’s got a bit of Endowment in them.

Q: Innate investiture.

A: Innate investiture that they are born with.

Q: I was looking to _Divine_ Breath, _____ specifically.

A: Oh _Divine_ breath! Divine Breath is it’s own special thing, and it’s more like what happened with the Honorblades, in that the god is pouring a bit of its investiture, infusing the magic ____.

Q: At the end of Bands of Mourning, Wax begins seeing what seems like souls, as he’s holding the bands. He sees lines. He ponders that man/metals are the same thing. Is he seeing investiture there?
A: Yeah, to an extent. Yes. He’s seeing the cosmere-equivalent of atoms/investiture/energy waves all being the same thing.

Q: Okay, so kind of a building block of things

A: Yes; it’s almost like he’s seeing the ____, the atoms.

[35:55]
Q: _____ Southern’s(?) connection to the Spiritual world ____. So, that being said, you know the ____ inanimate matter ___ the source, but inanimate matter is projected into the Cognitive realm. So does inanimate matter have a connection to the Spiritual world the same as ____
A: Yes, but it doesn’t have the same thing going on. So yeah.

Q: At the end of Sixth of Dusk, were those Mistborn space-opera-people that showed up at the end?
A: Not gonna say. Lot of people have theorized that, but I have remained closed-lipped.

[41:00]
STEELHEART SEQUEL TRILOGY CONFIRMED - Alternate Dimension, dealing with the origin of Calamity.

[50:30]

Q: Is Aslydin a Feruchemist?
A: RAFO

[51:40]
Q: I’m _____ ____ Adonalsium. Out of the people that were leftover from just before the Breaking, did they think it was a good idea or a bad idea?
A: Opinions are mixed.
Q: Is it mixed between vessels and non-vessels?

A: Most of the vessels support the decision that they made. I would say of those remaining, who are not vessels, the majority think it was a bad idea. I would say ____ it’s not 100%
Q: ____ Talking about opinion besides the
A: Not many, it is a number that you could count to reasonably.

----

Matt(Dragon13)
[52:45]
Q: I know you wrote the Eleventh Metal for the Mistborn Adventure Game.  Of the other stories included in the expansions (Darzon’s Story, Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania, and House of Tin and Ash), should they be considered canon?

A: The Eleventh Metal and Allomancer Jak are, the others are not.

[53:00]

Q: Is Iyatil of Malwish descent?

A: In the same way that I [brandon Sanderson] am of Danish descent.

Q: Would she perhaps have been born on either Taldain or Threnody?

A: She was not born on either one.

Q: Is it significant that Paalm’s name does not follow the standard kandra naming convention?

A: It does [follow the convention]. It’s not always written that way, but it is. Good question.

Q: Hoid, in the Liar of Partinel sample chapters, is referred to as a Jesk.  Is this related to the Jesker Mysteries religion in Elantris?

A: No. Good question.

Q: Will we get a more comprehensive Ars Arcanum in the Arcanum Unbounded?

A: It depends… there will be cool things in there, but I don’t think they’ll count as “Ars Arcanum” exactly. It’ll be more focused on maps and things like that. There’ll be a star chart for each world.

----

[54:10]
Q: Have we seen Iyatil in any other context, published or unpublished?

A: No

[54:50]
Q: Was the shattering of Adonalsium done, for the forces to attack the Anti-Adonalsium?
A: You are focusing too much on this idea of the anti-adonalsium. What was really asked is “is there a force that is opposed to Adonalsium?” and it left me a lot of wiggle room. In other words, the people who killed it was a force, or any person who opposed Adonalsium you could say is a force. What they were trying to get was a “devil” but that assumes Adonalsium was a more Christian-style God, and I haven’t confirmed any of that.

[56:30]
Q: In the ancient religion with Trell and Nalt, is Nalt in any relation to Nalthis?
A: Tha’ts a good question. RAFO

[56:55]
Q: In Secret History, we see an Aon written in the steel alphabet, have we seen anything similar?
A: I don’t think we’ve shown you any, that doesn’t mean they don’t exist. For instance the Aon written on the wall in Emperor’s Soul would probably not look exactly like an Aon, because it’s different culture, different people.
Q: Similar to the Dakhor monks use different...
A: No, more along the lines of, if you were to start writing- if Chinese characters became a big part of everyday life in America, we would probably end up changing them so they’ don’t actually look like [their origin]. So yes and no- I don’t think I’ve actually ever DRAWN one out like that, but there are references to other characters and other cultures.

[58:50] (I’m trying to remember who asked this one)
Q: Is the dying process of like: death to cognitive realm staging area to the beyond a universal process in the cosmere, or is it something specific to-?
A: Yes. it is a universal process. People don’t always hang out as long, it depends on how much investiture is around.

[59:06]
Q: Is the God Beyond related to “the Beyond” place that was talked about?

[59:20]
Q: Harmony says in Secret History that the Beyond is a place he can’t reach, is this true for all of shards that we’ve met so far or is it just?...

[1:00:00]
Alterodent: If a hermit were to take a whole lot of Cadmium and go off and live by himself, how far within a lifetime, reasonably, could he get into the future by essentially time-capsuling himself?

A: <laughs thoughtfully>

Q: Assuming they live to be 70 or 75.

A: They could get pretty far.
Q: What would the savantism do to them?
A: The savantism would probably allow them to get further… It’s completely reasonable… you can treat this like relativistic travel.

[1:00:55]
Kurk: How broadly can a time-bubbler control the attributes of the bubble? Like could he make it ten times smaller to make it ten times more powerful?

A: It is more controllable than I have generally shown in the books.

Q: And does the size correspond inversely to the strength?

A: No.

Kurk: So when that cork [in Bands of Mourning] was thrown above the train, if the cork had been thrown by someone who was standing _besides_ the train, what would have happened when the bubble hit [the cork]? So the bubble's moving at 60mph and the cork [is not moving laterally relative to the bubble] and gets hit by a bubble...
Brandon: Right. Right right right... So... this one's complicated. Let me see if I can... So anything that touches the bubble will be immediately lodged into the bubble, and be hit by that... So say you throw something up, the bubble hits it, is that what you're asking?
A: But it does not have "momentum" the same as the thing? So it would probably be in the bubble for a short time.
Q: So if I threw the cork straight, and then the bubble came from the right, the cork would shift to the right within the bubble as the bubble thought it was moving or something?
A: <thoughtful noises>
Q: So the bubble thinks the cork is travelling like 60mph North, the cork thinks it's not moving at all...
A: Yeah...
Q: So does the cork move the opposite direction of the bubble or something?
A: Ask Peter the math on that one, and I'll have him run the math. That one's kind of... it's kind of like the time travel train experiment stuff, with the flags and things. So let's go ahead and PAFO that one.

>Result of PAFO: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/52790-calamity-tour-chicago-naperville/page-4?p=414459#entry414459

Kurk: How exactly does hemalurgic decay work for Feruchemy? Is it like a leaky tube or something, or…?

A: Yeah… yeah. (Here misunderstanding and thinking that the question’s about the power of the Feruchemy itself, not storing/tapping metalminds)

Q: So they try to store 10 units of health and only 9 gets through, or…?

A: Hemalurgic decay meaning someone who has been spiked is less powerful? That Hemalurgic decay] or the Hemalurgic decay when a Hemalurgic spike is left outside of blood?

Q: Less powerful. So like the Inquisitors are less powerful Feruchemists so they had to spend longer storing: so _why_ did they have to spend longer storing?

A: Yeah they lose a little bit, it’s a leaky… You’re there, exactly. It just doesn’t quite… it’s not as efficient: it’s [an] efficiency thing.

(Forum-Lurking Teen Brothers):

[1:04:30]
Q: So, what is the actual Firefight, Megan’s opposite, what’s their weakness?

A: I’m not going to tell you. That’s a RAFO.

Q: If a Kandra and a human were to have a baby, what would that baby be like?

A: I would say that right now… It would depend. The kandra would have to remain in human form, keep the same body, and then would give birth to a human. If it was a woman [human] with a man [kandra], it wouldn’t be that big of a deal, with a kandra. Does that make sense?

A: Because when the kandra is in human form, they can identically recreate the bodily functions and things if they want to.

Q: With Forgery and ChayShan, can anybody from that country do them?

A: Forge? No.

Q: With safehand culture, with one hand feminine, two hand masculine: is knitting considered masculine?

A: Knitting is not one of the prime arts, and so it would be considered either direction. It’s not one of the major arts mentioned, so men can knit their socks and things like that at war and not have to feel feminine, but women could knit if they wanted to, also.

Q: Okay. So, Dalinar can make baby socks.

A: Yes, Dalinar can make baby socks and not feel- (we were walking away at this point, he stopped talking).

[1:07:56]
Q: So for characters like Hoid who travel between books, do you have a timeline set out for them so that their not in two places at once.

A: I do. But it’s easier to keep this straight by making sure that- books aren’t so far happening simultaneously. But the more short stories I write the more simultaneous will get, and so _that’s_ where we need [the timeline]. Like I realized that I had a contradiction—fortunately that I hadn’t canonized in the books—when I wrote Secret History.  Like “ah, I need to make sure that he is where he needs to be” and stuff like that.

[1:09:37]
<Unintelliglbe questions, with answers that either lack the context to be meaningful or are already known>

A: There were people on Roshar before the breaking of Adonalsium.

[1:13:30]

By the fourth Mistborn series there will be space travel between worlds

[1:16:30]

Q: In terms of timeline for Secret History and Elantris, is there a chance that the characters in SH would know the characters from Elantris or are they way far apart …?

A: I haven’t really dug into these outlines yet. It’s not impossible; in fact it’s very possible- it’s possible for some of the characters from SH to have met people from Elantris [the book]. That is possible, but some of the people from SH are very long-lived.

[1:20:40]
Q: Nightblood: is there a person- like are we seeing the outpouring of a sword that can now think more than a sword, or was there a person-

A: There were many people who went into that, because it was all the Breaths that were little pieces of people.

Q: Okay, but there’s not one person more than another.

A: No [there is not]. It attained sapience kind of through sheer weight of investiture.

[1:21:12]
Q: So Taln’s Scar: was it present throughout the entire timeline and just not mentioned in, say Elantris, or did it appear at a certain point in the timeline?

Q: It did not appear at a certain point. And it is not equally visible through the cosmere simply because of where it is in the sky and where they are in relation to it and things like that.

Q: And how much ash is in the sky

A: Yes. Peter knows exactly where it is.

Q: I’m hoping that the map in the anthology will show that.

A: Yes, it should.

[1:22:45]

<Discussion about the mechanics of Shallan v.s. Jasnah’s soulcasting, how much they transition into the cognitive. An outside observer would have noticed weirdness when Shallan soulcasted on the ship>

Ryan(Zmann966)
[1:31:00]
Q: Have we seen the world mirrored by the Expanse of Broken Sky?
A: (long grunting and contemplation) I’m not answering that, RAFO
Q: What does First of the Sun look like on the Cognitive Realm? I think it’s a whole bunch of grubs, or worms.
A: RAFO, c’mon you know I’m not gonna reveal Cognitive Realm on the other ones.

Q: One more, one more.

A: Keep asking until you get one.
Q: The Expanse of Vibrance… Nalthis?
A: (more grunting) You would be making a good guess, if you said that. That’s an informed guess.
Argent: That’s not an answer, keep pushing

[1:42:33]
Argent: Is Vax a planet? It’s heavily suggested that it is.

A: [playfully]  It is heavily suggested that it’s a _place_. <Argent walks away saying it’s a place, Brandon crushes his hopes and repeats that he didn’t actually confirm anything>

[1:44:45]
Q: The Shards: Can Shards be separated from their current holders.

A: Yes.

Q: Without shattering the Shard or killing the person involved?

A: It is possible.

Q: Without either one of those things happening?

A: Yes.

<FIN>

Notes: I (Kurk) I picked up from ~54 after several months of this thing lying half-done, so I skimmed through at high-speed only noting things that are a combination of cosmerical and not already known from half a dozen places. I don’t think I missed anything, but a more critical eye wouldn’t be amiss.

“Lightning round” Q/A

[-1:08] - I (Kurk) have my own recording of the lightning round
Alterodent: What is the ratio of parshmen to “humans”.

A: Depends on the country. Some have a lot, some have not as many at all. I would say that the humans vastly outnumber the parshmen overall.

[-0:44]
Kurk: Is there such a thing as a Feruchemical savant?

A: I did not write Feruchemical savants into the original outline. Whether or not I will do them- it’s _highly_ unlikely because it’s not there and mistborn is getting trickier and trickier in that regard. But I didn’t write them in, so… that’s a “probably not”.

[-0:11] 2:14
Argent: If a Shard wanted to affect another Shard’s magic system, would they need to invest themselves in the world, or can they just kind of show up and do things.

A: “Affect their magic system”? What do you mean by that?

Q: So for Roshar, let’s say additional surges or modified surges. For Scadrial different metals. For Nalthis-

A: That would require more than just showing up.

[0:27]
Q: For the picture of all the Radiants and their surges, in the background there’s two dragons. Are those just-

A: Those are not dragons. Those are little beasties from the world. You’ve seen them before.

Argetn: Larkin?

A: Yeah. But you can call them “dragon bumps” if you want, that’s what Isaac called them when I described them.

Not-Argent: So are they just from the world, or do they have any over-reaching signif-

A: Well they have a certain ability that you may have seen in-world, which is pretty distinctive and different, and so they have a lot of mythological import. They are not widely known by most cultures right now.

[1:15]
<Range limit of Epics varies from person to person.

The signing location probably wouldn’t have been turned into steel by Steelheart: Brandon designed the radius to make it just a bit beyond Soldier Field quite intentionally. Probably a four mile radius?>

[2:38]
Q: In Scadrial: the amount of investiture in humans Preservation, aka, the amount of mistborn and mist powers, is that decreasing or just being diffused among the population?

A: That power is being diffused among the population: though everybody has some already that power is not.

[2:59]
Alterodent(?): Can you tell us about a cultural inspiration you’ve used in a world that we have _not_ seen?

A: I wrote one that was based off of Mesoamerican- there’s a tribe out of Costa Rica. And I didn’t get the story done, but I used that one… it was really an obscure tribe, which made it really hard to name things and stuff like that. What else have I done that you haven’t seen… <thinking noises> There’s Polynesian stuff you haven’t seen, but you’ve also seen a lot of it [already], so…

[3:50]
Argent: Location of shard pools: are they determined by the Shard, by the planet, or something else?

A: RAFO. We end on a RAFO.

• 2 weeks later...