Calamity Tour: Chicago / Naperville

Argent

So, not only did I not have until today to post my questions, I lost my list to browser mishaps when it was close to being done. I apologize for the very short time I am giving you all to review my questions and add yours, but my schedule has been a mess lately... 

Here's what I've lifted from the Ultimate List, plus a few questions of my own. I'll sign RAFO rating to all of them Monday.

• Preservation and Ruin share a focus on Scadrial - metal. What makes Shards share a focus?
  • A Feruchemist can create an "unkeyed" metalmind for any of their powers by storing their Identity first. If they had access to more magic systems, could they create an "unkeyed" Awakened object, one any Awakener could draw the Breath from? An "unkeyed" Shardblade?
  • Can a Shard and its Vessel be separated without either suffering terrible damage?
  • Can non-human races Ascend?
  • Splinters are self-aware fragments of a Shard, and Divine Breaths are Splinters. Does this mean the Returned are merely vessels for their Breaths? Are their personalities the personalities of their Breaths?
  • Most lerasium questions have been RAFO'd. Will its workings be explained in a future Mistborn book at all?
  • What determines the location of a Shardpool? The Shard? The planet? Something else?
  • Can a Shard affect another Shard's magic system just by showing up on their planet, or would they need to Invest themselves?
  • Is Aslydin a Feruchemist?
  • When Shallan Soulcasts, does she physically go into the Cognitive Realm, or does she just transfer her awareness to her Cognitive self? Is this different for Jasnah?
  • Can you Soulcast aluminum into other materials?
    • If not, is it because it doesn't have a Cognitive aspect? Because its Cognitive aspect is resistant to change? Something else?
  • What determines a Shard's ability to see into the future? Their Intent? Their Vessel? Is it a skill they must practice?
  • Vin's Allomantic and fighting skills seemed to increase between The Well of Ascension and The Hero of Ages. Is this a result of her being a Sliver?
  •  

The Bands of Mourning

• When Wax confronts his uncle after using the Bands, he realizes that "they are all the same. Metal, minds, men, all the same substance." Is he seeing Investiture here, or...?
  • Is the Faceless Immortal Suit talks with in the end a kandra?
  • Did we see Kelsier in the flesh in the epilogue, or is the truth more complicated than that?

Mistborn: Secret History

• Leras mentions the name Senna. Anything you can tell us about this... person? Place?
  • Ati speaks the name "Vax." The Elantris Ars Arcanum suggests that Vax might be a planet where initiation is a little strange. Are the two the same place?
  • Are the Ire related to the 17th Shard?
  • Khriss believes that the reason Preservation is experiencing a "slow death" is because Ruin is not strong enough to Splinter him. Is she correct? Is Ruin not strong enough because he is not yet whole, because Shards have different strength levels and he is just not strong enough, or because of the interplay between him and Preservation on Scadrial?

I would like to focus a little more on questions from Shadows of Self, The Bands of Mourning, and Secret History, but the list is not really up to date with those, and I am too tired to comb through the forums right now. So ideas from those books are welcome. 

Using my tactics from the last list (BTW I heavily endorse this practice).  As before, only the questions I've responded to remain. 

So, not only did I not have until today to post my questions, I lost my list to browser mishaps when it was close to being done. I apologize for the very short time I am giving you all to review my questions and add yours, but my schedule has been a mess lately... 

Here's what I've lifted from the Ultimate List, plus a few questions of my own. I'll sign RAFO rating to all of them Monday.

• Preservation and Ruin share a focus on Scadrial - metal. What makes Shards share a focus?  It's the world they inhabit - there have been WoB's on this before.  
  • Can a Shard and its Vessel be separated without either suffering terrible damage?  Kelsier's actions in SH - specifically, giving it to Vin - suggest yes but it has to be given willingly.  
  • Can non-human races Ascend? I believe there are WoBs that say "Yes."
  • Most lerasium questions have been RAFO'd. Will its workings be explained in a future Mistborn book at all?  "RAFO!"  I imagine.
  • Can a Shard affect another Shard's magic system just by showing up on their planet, or would they need to Invest themselves? Roshar suggests "just show up" but trellium suggests "need to Invest."  It'd be good to have this pinned down.  
  • What determines a Shard's ability to see into the future? Their Intent? Their Vessel? Is it a skill they must practice? It seems to point to the Intent - Ruin couldn't see at all, Honor was self-admittedly terrible at it, Cultivation was better than he, and Preservation seems to be the grand champion seer of them all (see also the literal centuries between the start of his misdirection ploy and its payoff, and then the payoff of the payoff).  

The Bands of Mourning

• When Wax confronts his uncle after using the Bands, he realizes that "they are all the same. Metal, minds, men, all the same substance." Is he seeing Investiture here, or...? It seems to be the same "filter" that Kelsier saw when looking from the Cognitive Realm onto the Physical.  Metal and souls alike glowed with Investiture.  So short answer: "Probably yes."  

I would like to focus a little more on questions from Shadows of Self, The Bands of Mourning, and Secret History, but the list is not really up to date with those, and I am too tired to comb through the forums right now. So ideas from those books are welcome. 

The Bands Of Mourning

At the end, when the Trell agent blows up Suit and the cell block they're in, he says that "you will be allowed to serve in another Realm."  How literal or truthful (or neither) is he being when he states that?

Edited by Landis963

@Landis,

• I was thinking about the focus question as more of a confirmation. I thought it was hinted at before, but wasn't sure. If you are confident that we have a WoB on it, I'll drop it.
  • On separating a Shard and its Vessel, this might be a bit of a weird scenario. There are at least two oddities about it.
  • I fully expect my lerasium question to be RAFO'd, and we'd get a good laugh out of the irony. 
  • Figuring out what's going on with Roshar and Scadrial is exactly why I am trying to find out what happens when a Shard shows up.
  • On seeing the future, I think there is an argument to be made for it being a skill. From what we've seen, a lot about the future is about being able to isolate whatever it is that you are interested in, interpret it correctly, and read its Connections well. 

I'll also consider your Bands question.

Mistborn: Secret History
  • Leras mentions the name Senna. Anything you can tell us about this... person? Place?
  • Ati speaks the name "Vax." The Elantris Ars Arcanum suggests that Vax might be a planet where initiation is a little strange. Are the two the same place?
  • Are the Ire related to the 17th Shard?
  • Khriss believes that the reason Preservation is experiencing a "slow death" is because Ruin is not strong enough to Splinter him. Is she correct? Is Ruin not strong enough because he is not yet whole, because Shards have different strength levels and he is just not strong enough, or because of the interplay between him and Preservation on Scadrial?

Argent, first, thanks for adding my Aslydin question to your list, it is most appreciated.

For your questions regarding Mistborn: Secret History

Senna

, I asked a similar question in my new copy of the Emperor's Soul (The snow ruined my previous copy... <_< ) Maybe shelf that one if you are feeling pressed on time as the signed book is probably more likely to get an answer.

Here are the questions I would suggest adding to your list, if they interest you:

• Would a Soother be able to prevent a listener from attuning a given rhythm?
  • If the shades on Threnody stopped enforcing the Simple Rules, would the spread of the Evil from the Homeland be hastened?
  • In WoK Prime there were no spren as part of the world. In that version, where did shardblades come from?
  • If Ruin and Preservation had picked Nalthis or Roshar, instead of Scadrial, would magical abilities on their world still divide into sets of 16?
  • If events hadn't intervened, could Wax and Lessie have had biological children?
  • Aluminum can shield from emotional allomancy. Emotional allomancy is also one way to exploit cracks introduced by hemalurgic spikes. Would someone with a hemalurgic spike made from aluminum be more resistant to external influence than an individual with a different type of spike?
  • If you use two different metals to make a spike (glued together, not alloyed) could that double spike steal two different abilities from the same person?
  • The Rithmatic "Mark's Cross" is a mini circle with two anchoring Lines of Forbiddance that intersect. How does one go about drawing that? It seems as though the first LoF would prevent the formation of the second one.
Bands/Secret History:

• The Shards on Scadrial have a tradition of greeting the recently deceased. Is this courtesy common to other Shards as well?
  • Should we be able to deduce anything of the Set's nature or aims from their organizational titles? (Sequence, Array, Suit...)
  • The Scadrian Shards are heavily invested in that planet. If the Ire had succeeded in their plan, would the new Vessel of Preservation have been able to leave Scadrial?

Edited by ccstat

As to the 'Can non-human races ascend' question, I can't find the WoB right now, but I know there have been a couple that have not outright confirmed it, but heavily implied. One response was along the lines of 'Well, there were three sentient races on Yolen, pre-Shattering' - with another response at a different time confirming that Yolen had humans, dragons and one other.

However, a different, related question that might yield further insight could be 'Can non-human races created by a Shard (such as kandra or koloss) Ascend?'

Edited by ROSHtaFARian2.0

Coming out of lurking, excited for tonight's signing. Just stopped by Anderson's, they're still setting up.

My few questions for tonight :

Is the "God Beyond" related to the 'Beyond' place from Secret History?

Is the dying process of death - to - cognitive realm staging area - to - Beyond universal in the cosmere or a scandrial specific thing?

Harmony/Sazed says in Secret History that the "the Beyond is a place I cannot reach;" is this true for all the shards we've seen so far, or just for Harmony?

How far along in the cosmere time line is Shadows for silence? (probably already been answered)

Has there ever been a shard on Threnody? (Again probably a WOB I'm not aware of)

Looking forward to meeting some of you much more knowledgeable sharers tonight! I'll be the one in red pants and grey checkered shirt.

Okay, great signing tonight! It feels like we didn't get as many questions answered as we usually do, but it was a lot of us, and I spent a lot of time hanging out with other fans instead of (as is my usual routine) sitting close to Brandon and listening in on his replies. This, while loads of fun for me, meant that we are relying on the audio recording almost exclusively, and there is a very good chance that it would be... bad. The store employees asked us to move our recording devices to a chair next to Brandon's table, and he had kind of lost his voice, and many people were speaking quietly, so I don't know what will come out of this whole thing. 

We did have a couple of guys with recording equipment a bit better than cell phones, so maybe those would be enough. I'll wait a day or so to give them a chance to post something, then I'll share my (likely) garbage recording. 

I am super tired right now, but I have time tomorrow I'll write down some of the highlights of the night (which include a comment from Brandon saying that we might be big enough of a community to rival the Utah one, which is super exciting to me!).

@Iron Eyes, RAFO on whether Aslydin is a Feruchemist.

Okay, yesterday's signing was awesome! I have two recordings to share with the class. The first one is Brandon's intro and reading, the other is the Q&A during the signing. My only regret is that my recorder ran out of space just after the group picture so hopefully someone has the last few questions that were asked during the event. 

I have not had the time to try to clean up this audio, but here it is.

Intro, General Q&A, and Reading

Signing Q&A

Fantastic news my friends! (/sarcasm)

My recorder got bumped a few minutes in to the signing portion of last night's event, causing everything after that unusable. (It sounds like the external-mic cable got disconnected judging by the static and garbling, and I hadn't set the recorder to use its on-board mics. :P) I am quite disappointed because the audio was SO crisp, despite where we had to put the recorders. (Seriously? A chair beside the table in full-edge of traffic of people walking through to get pictures?! /grumble)

When I picked it up when we were leaving, it seemed to fix it, so I do have the last few questions we asked while standing around at the end.

I've cleaned it up (it's about 4mins long) and here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3-FW93u6i_-UnpCNUZCaWZJWGM/view?usp=sharing

I also took the liberty of running your audio of the signing questions,  Volratho, through some cleaning up and post-effects to make it more audible, and I think it came out okay. Well enough that you should be able to transcribe Brandon near 100% and most of the question-askers as well (a few are a little quiet, but you can only hope for so much.) So hopefully this works well enough to get us the whole signing! (Disregard the obnoxious levels in the beginning, they quiet down as the crowd dies down and the noise-reduction filter kicks in): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3-FW93u6i_-Y2VsNWNnRmJ6eWs/view?usp=sharing

*Is still doubly-irate over the fuss of recording audio/having to move them to a chair and my recording getting messed up because of it*  :angry:

Edited by Kurkistan
Took the liberty of making the hyperlink match for the lightning round

Well I guess if no one else feels like it...

Here's a Google Doc to host the transcribing effort in. I'm a bit busy at work (and have found I have not the best amount of patience for long-haul transcription), but anyone's free to jump in and start transcribing. Use Comments and the like to note where audio's unclear, etc., and try to be verbatim wherever possible, I suppose: standard best practices.

EDIT: Actually allowed others to Edit it. Sorry about that.

Edited by Kurkistan