Calamity Tour: Chicago / Naperville

Argent

EDIT: Transcription document here.

As those of you who are somewhat familiar with my exploits might have guessed, I'll be seeing Brandon during his Chicago signing event. I'll be happy to meet up with any and all of you there (though I probably won't be able to come earlier, as I anticipate work to leave me with only a little wiggle room), though there is a chance I will dump you all the moment I hear a juicy WoB. Just a heads up.

As usual, I intend to record the entire event and post the audio files here the moment I get home.

Regarding the event itself, it's ticketed. I didn't ask for details, but this usually means you need to buy the book from the bookstore (Anderson's) if you want to get things signed and/or personalized.

Edited by Argent

Anderson's hosted the Harriet tour for the WOT Companion, and I attended it. I imagine it'll be similar. (So yes, you need to purchase the book and get a ticket. However, you can do so ahead of time once Calamity releases, or even give them a call to order it and mention you'd like a ticket to the signing.)

I'll be in attendance again, btw. Look forward to seeing everyone there, (had been away from 17th before the Shadows of Self tour, too bad I missed you at that one!)

Do we have a current pool of questions somewhere for 17th Sharders to pull from during tour events?
(I'm currently looking in the archives for more Elantis/Fjordell//Dominion answers, but if I find them I wouldn't mind asking the community's most pressing wonders.)

What do you plan on asking?

Haven't decided yet, work has been crushing me all week, and I've been too drained after to think about questions. I'll try to put a preliminary list together... hopefully this weekend. Maybe next one. My personal policy is to get this list up early so people can look it over, inform me if I am asking stupid or unclear questions, and suggest some of their own questions instead (which I try to squeeze in if I like them well enough).

Do we have a current pool of questions somewhere for 17th Sharders to pull from during tour events?

(I'm currently looking in the archives for more Elantis/Fjordell//Dominion answers, but if I find them I wouldn't mind asking the community's most pressing wonders.)

There is a thread in the Cosmere Theories forum, Ultimate Questions Thread or something like that. I usually pull most of mine from there. Be wary of spoilers though, everything is fair game in Cosmere Theories.

Lol, I'm not worried about spoilers, I've read everything except Chapter 7+ of Liar of Partinel, haha. 

Lots of good questions in there though, will have to read it over and look for something (currently relevant, now that we have some answers and more questions from BoM and SH)

I will be trying my hardest to be there as well. I plan on leaving directly from work and heading there. The time listed on Anderson's site says 7:00 pm. If I remember correctly, last time he did a signing there it went well past midnight, so it should be a fun time as long as they do not kick us out early.

If need be, I can try to record the event as well.

Edited by Volratho

I have professional-grade audio and video equipment, if anyone wants me to utilize it.

At the very least I can set up a small audio-recorded on the table with built-in mics better than phone-quality; at most I can set up a camera and put the whole thing up on Youtube.

Lemme know if that's something you'd want Argent (as you kinda seem to lead the charge in Cosmere-passion in the Chicago area, lol)

Better-than-phone audio quality would be very nice. We've had issues in the past where transcriptions are not clear, certain questions and answers being drowned in the background noise - which is one of the reasons I spend almost the entire night next to Brandon, listening in, instead of hanging out with Sharders. 

Video... I think it would be cool, but I think that's something you would want to check with Brandon and Anderson's. I don't anticipate problems, but who knows?

Always the truth.
When I call next week to order my Calamity, I'll ask them about video. It's not really necessary, as all the good content comes in audio form. But I know some people might like to watch it on Youtube. 

At the very least, I'll plan on bringing my audio kit. 

I've gone over the "Super List of Cosmere Questions" and pulled some/made some of my own to ask, I'll post here and get your take, once I get them cohesive. 

Alright, my burning questions are as follows:
(Though I know I'll only get 1, maybe 2. I haven't seen these anywhere [except possibly on the main list] so feel free to answer if I missed a WoB)

Past Shard-world Questions:
Are the Skaze actually evil? You keep referring to them as such, or are they really just a more "Dominating" version of Seons who—by their nature—are more "Devoted?"

Is the Bendalloy/Cadmium bubble "size-rule" for being stationary/moving have to do with how the object is perceived by the Allomancer, or more with how the object perceives itself?

Is Forging and Invested object more difficult? Like trying to use Allomancy on one? Is that why forging a person is so difficult, or is it due to the sheer complexity of a human's soul?

Forging uses what's called a "Soul" stamp and is constantly referred to re-writing someones soul. Is this on the Spiritual Realm and, if so, is this the first power we've seen that interacts this directly with the Spiritual?

Does Feruchemical connection care what's being "put in" during storing? Or is it more about what (and where) it's being tapped and drawn out? If drawing upon Connection in Arelon, is it possible for a Scadrian Feruchemist to be taken by the Reod? Would it remain permanent if the metalmind ran out?

Sak, the non-native Aviar Sixth has trained has an ability eerily similar to Allomantic Electrum, and his other Aviar functions as a Cognitive-Coppercloud (as opposed to an Investiture/Spiritual one like Smokers,) Am I on a right track or just wandering in the jungle with this?  

Do the gemstones on Roshar have their specific atomic/chemical structure to thank for their spren/investiture trapping ability? Are they "keys" similar to Elantrian symbols and metallic atomic structure? Or is the individual spren/stormlight the key? Would that be why surgebinders can't pull from the Highstorm itself, but only infused gems?

Awakening. It drains color. Does it actually use it as a fuel and drain the light-wavelength properties for power, or is it more based around the cognitive perception (by either the object or Awakener) of the color? I want to assume that the vocal commands are the "key" coded for investiture to power Awakening, but the color has always stumped me in how it fits in the process... If colors ARE a form of key, do different colors function/shape the investiture differently?
I actually figured this out while typing it (silly me) I forgot about the Tears of Egdli being used as dyes all around Hallandren. It, clearly, is the invesiture "power" behind awakening that is shaped by vocal commands then used up in the process... But wait... Isn't Breath the fuel? Or is that just stapling on cognitive intent to the object, while the color fuels it and the commands key it? Nvm, question re-opened! (But for another time, when there's a longer chance to sit and chat, hopefully he comes to SDCC and we can play MTG again)

Cosmere-wide in light of SH
What does the First of the Sun look like in the Cognitive Realm?

Is Nalthis the Expanse of Vibrance?

Have we seen the world of the "Expanse of Broken Sky?"

Khriss is shown to have what is cleary a pistol of some sort in Era-1 Mistborn. Is that native to her side of Taldain, or from another shardworld? Is it a gunpowder-driven weapon or something else? (I can't remember White Sand enough to remember if they had such weaponry, and I have no clue where my copy went :P. Feel free to chime in on this one especially,)

Do all these Worldhoppers extend their lives by some means? Like Breath or Compunding or something, or is it something that occurs from entering Shadesmar like they do?

Is the reason why Yolen is "hidden" (according to Khriss) because there are not enough sentient beings on it considering it a planet, and therefore it doesn't exist in Shadesmar?

Why is the Purelake depicted as mountainous in Shadesmar if the lake itself is both shallow and populated in the physical realm?

Thoughts?

Alright, my burning questions are as follows:

(Though I know I'll only get 1, maybe 2. I haven't seen these anywhere [except possibly on the main list] so feel free to answer if I missed a WoB)

Thoughts?

Forging an Invested object - Double-Investing something will always, always be more difficult than Investing a non-Invested object.  Forgery is a manifestation of Investiture, so there you go.  

Gemstones on Roshar - It's the color.  Researching the gemstones in question reveals that a lot of them are, on the molecular level, essentially identical.  

Regarding the Tears of Edgli - Spiritual damage is known to drain color from something with Innate Investiture - Drabs and Returned turn greyscale when passing on their Breath, Shardblades leave a cut limb grey and unresponsive but otherwise attached to the body.  So therefore, the dye from the Tears of Edgli retains its Spiritual aspect even after the flowers themselves are dead and gone.  

So which part of the gemstone-spren-stormlight equation is the structural "key" to tap into the investiture? The Nahel bond leads the argument towards the spren itself, but then why can a surgebinder only draw from gems, not the highstorm itself?

And the forging was more about the second part of the question, about what makes "people" so difficult...

And the Awakening question is also more about how the parts come together to make the whole, too...

I guess the "answers" I'm looking for are more clarification on unknown situations involving the root question, rather than the question itself. lol

Do you have WoB on any of these? They might help clarify the embedded questions for me as well.

So which part of the gemstone-spren-stormlight equation is the structural "key" to tap into the investiture? The Nahel bond leads the argument towards the spren itself, but then why can a surgebinder only draw from gems, not the highstorm itself?

And the forging was more about the second part of the question, about what makes "people" so difficult...

And the Awakening question is also more about how the parts come together to make the whole, too...

I guess the "answers" I'm looking for are more clarification on unknown situations involving the root question, rather than the question itself. lol

Do you have WoB on any of these? They might help clarify the embedded questions for me as well.

Tapping Investiture using Roshar methods- It is the spren.  Kaladin drew Stormlight from the climactic highstorm in WoR, and IIRC he didn't have any gems on him, or any time to draw it out like he would normally.  

Forging people - Thanks for the clarification.  People generally have a greater amount of Innate Investiture in them than most objects do, so the double-Investing markup applies.  Also, they have more "levers", shall we say, that a stamp needs to take into account, as opposed to an object.  Those levers (which are essentially Spiritual Connections to various persons, places, things, and times) can be fiddled with to create a discount of sorts, much like Awakening becoming much cheaper with humaniform targets.  (This is why "familiarity" and "plausibility" work the way they do)

Awakening - I believe it goes something like this: The Color+Breath is the Spiritual aspect, the Command is the cognitive (not the physical, because one requires a mental image of the Command playing out to work correctly), and the fabric one is Awakening is the Physical.  Someone please correct me on this, if I've got something wrong.  

Ohh, I didn't notice until now, yeah this is the exact Anderson's that The WOT Companion tour came through,

It's... small-ish. Get there early if you want seats, otherwise you'll end up standing. (I seriously don't think Anderson's knows what they're in for having Brandon come through. WoT maxed them out and we only had, maybe 30 people)

(I seriously don't think Anderson's knows what they're in for having Brandon come through. WoT maxed them out and we only had, maybe 30 people)

As a general rule, his YA stuff doesn't draw the crowds of his major works. That said, a small crowd for a Sanderson event is still usually much bigger than 30 people.

I haven't been to his Philly location before, but I've heard from people who have and I've seen the size of the entire building on maps.google and the line will definitely be extending out the door.

Tapping Investiture using Roshar methods- It is the spren.  Kaladin drew Stormlight from the climactic highstorm in WoR, and IIRC he didn't have any gems on him, or any time to draw it out like he would normally.  

Kal has a single sphere on him when he was strung up. My impressions from reading was that he was constantly drawing light from that sphere while the storm was constantly filling it.

Kal has a single sphere on him when he was strung up. My impressions from reading was that he was constantly drawing light from that sphere while the storm was constantly filling it.

That was in WoK, back when Kaladin was still unlocking his powers.  I don't recall whether he had one or not when dueling Szeth in the storm at the end of WoR.  

That was in WoK, back when Kaladin was still unlocking his powers.  I don't recall whether he had one or not when dueling Szeth in the storm at the end of WoR.  

Words of Radiance page 1015 kindle edition "Kaladin gasped a deep breath as if coming fully awake for the first time. The entire hallway went black as the Stormlight in every lamp down the length of the hall winked out."

Words of Radiance page 1027 kindle edition "Kaladin let the Stormlight evaporate before him. He was running low-his frantic flight across the Plains had drained him."

Words of Radiance page 1027 kindle edition "Kaladin turned and strode toward the assassin. He passed Bridge Four in a tight formation, and the men-at a barked command from Teft-threw something down before Kaladin. Blue lanterns, lit by oversized gems that had lasted the Weeping. Bless them. Stormlight streamed up as he passed, filling him. 

Words of Radiance page 1041 kindle edition: "The proximity of the storm kept his Stormlight stoked, never letting it grow dim."

Now although the quotes provided do not explicitly state that he did not have spheres on him, it can be implied given all the stormlight stated he drained came externally, not from any spheres mentioned in a pouch on his waist. First it was from the hallway (though it could be argued he grabbed some on his way out, given that the entire hallway blacked out and it is the weeping, I doubt he had time to search for some on his own), then the bridgemen threw lanterns at his feet (which he drew the stormlight out of, without picking them up to take with him), and finally the quote stating the storm sustained him. It is due to those instances I posit during the storm, he drew stormlight directly from it, without any sphere as intermediary. 

Edited by Pathfinder

I actually searched this out too, and conceded that Landis was right, this quote here kinda sells it:

Kaladin followed Szeth into the storm, diving into the blackness, falling amid the churning winds and the blasting lightning. Wind attacked him, tossing him about, and no Lashings could prevent this. He might be master of the winds, but storms were another thing.

Take care, Syl sent. My father hates you. This is his domain. And it is mixed with something even more terrible, another storm. Their storm.
Nevertheless, the highstorms were the source of Stormlight—and being in here energized Kaladin. His reserves of Stormlight burst alight, as they obviously did for Szeth. The assassin suddenly reappeared as a stark white explosion that zoomed through the maelstrom toward the plateaus.

Loc 2281 Kindle Edition

Again, not explicitly stated, but it's very much hinted to. I feel like somebody would have asked exactly "Can surgebinders pull stormlight directly from the storm?" and we'd have a WoB on this...

Regardless, that will be the very bottom question on my list, and I'll only ask if something like riding back with him to the airport occurs, lol

Edited by Zmann966

Words of Radiance page 1015 kindle edition "Kaladin gasped a deep breath as if coming fully awake for the first time. The entire hallway went black as the Stormlight in every lamp down the length of the hall winked out."

The hallways are lit by Spheres, this is Kaladin pulling Stormlight from spheres.

Words of Radiance page 1027 kindle edition "Kaladin let the Stormlight evaporate before him. He was running low-his frantic flight across the Plains had drained him."

Kaladin flew across the plains on the light that he had gathered earlier, I do not see any relevance since he is not drawing in any new stormlight.

Words of Radiance page 1027 kindle edition "Kaladin turned and strode toward the assassin. He passed Bridge Four in a tight formation, and the men-at a barked command from Teft-threw something down before Kaladin. Blue lanterns, lit by oversized gems that had lasted the Weeping. Bless them. Stormlight streamed up as he passed, filling him.

Again these lanterns are made out of spheres, and he is drawing the stormlight from these the same as he did the hallway lamps.

Words of Radiance page 1041 kindle edition: "The proximity of the storm kept his Stormlight stoked, never letting it grow dim."

Now although the quotes provided do not explicitly state that he did not have spheres on him, it can be implied given all the stormlight stated he drained came externally, not from any spheres mentioned in a pouch on his waist. First it was from the hallway (though it could be argued he grabbed some on his way out, given that the entire hallway blacked out and it is the weeping, I doubt he had time to search for some on his own), then the bridgemen threw lanterns at his feet (which he drew the stormlight out of, without picking them up to take with him), and finally the quote stating the storm sustained him. It is due to those instances I posit during the storm, he drew stormlight directly from it, without any sphere as intermediary.

I agree that this is a little ambiguous, I would argue that Kal would always keep spheres on him because he is now, A) not a slave anymore and he is getting paid for his services, B  ) He knows what his abilities are, and he knows that he needs stormlight to power his abilities, he would not want to rely on the battlefield to supply the source of his powers.

Again this is all conjecture, but getting back to the topic of this thread, this proves that this is a good topic to ask Brandon about.

Edited by Volratho

The hallways are lit by Spheres, this is Kaladin pulling Stormlight from spheres.

Kaladin flew across the plains on the light that he had gathered earlier, I do not see any relevance since he is not drawing in any new stormlight.

Again these lanterns are made out of spheres, and he is drawing the stormlight from these the same as he did the hallway lamps.

I agree that this is a little ambiguous, I would argue that Kal would always keep spheres on him because he is now, A) not a slave anymore and he is getting paid for his services, B  ) He knows what his abilities are, and he knows that he needs stormlight to power his abilities, he would not want to rely on the battlefield to supply the source of his powers.

Again this is all conjecture, but getting back to the topic of this thread, this proves that this is a good topic to ask Brandon about.

Right, I answered that first point. He drew the stormlight from the spheres on the wall. Not from any at his waist. At no point does it mention him having any at his waist. It also did not mention him then going, and picking up spheres to keep on his person to bring with him. He took in stormlight and left. When he arrived on the shattered plains again he did not pick up the spheres, only took in the stormlight. So what I am suggesting is that he did not have any spheres on him while in the highstorm. So the stormlight went from storm to him, not storm to gems to him. So I was suggesting though it is not conclusive, that a radiant can draw stormlight directly from the storm and that gems are just reservoirs to store stormlight for later use.