[Bands of Mourning spoilers] Slightly Confused and Have Questions

Wax

I do have some questions at the end of BoM, and would really like some clarification - as I can't figure these out:-

• Heinrich (?) - someone dropped a spare cube for him to put him off looking into the rooms.  Who did it and why?
  • I am confused, which person went to the southern side of the planet to teach the masked?  Was it the original Lord Ruler or Spook / someone else??
  • The medallion tech - it wasn't there in the final empire trilogy (unless my memory is going) - It's been a while since I read the original three books.  So, how come it came about to be discovered?  And by who?
  • Who created the bands of mourning, in the first place?  The original lord ruler also found them, which points to someone originally creating them even earlier??
  • What was the point of leaving the final memory in the coppermind in the end?

I would be happy to get some answers on these ones...

I do have some more questions, which I'll add here later on.

Edited by axcellence

I'll give it a go.

1. Pretty sure it was either Marasi or MeLaan. Possibly not MeLaan.

2.It's believed to be Kelsier, but I haven't read Secret Histories yet. There are plenty of threads on it though. They can go in depth if you'd like.

3. That would be the Sovereign. He came south and found them freezing to death from the Catacendre. Taught them basically everything they know about it I think.

4. That would also be the Sovereign I believe. The Lord Rulers Bands I think we're said to be given to the Kandra or sold off during the second 2 books of the first trilogy. Could be wrong though.

5. Well, the coin was given to Wax by Hoid. I assume Hoid wanted Wax to see that memory, and any other memories that may be stored in the coin.

Edited by The Ninja Yodeler

The Lord Ruler never found any sort of bands. His powers were entirely his own and that which he gave himself using the the power of Ascension. If his bracers had similar properties to allow him to compound his power further though, I would not be surprised. Though I'm not sure procuring nicrosil would be possible in the Empire. This set of Bands were likely manufactured by the Sovereign, as there is a key fact about them that TLR wouldn't bother to build into his own tools: the feruchemical charges were all unkeyed to identity and were meant to be used by anyone.

If I may add a question to this list, who did the bandits throw off the train just as Marasi was speed-bubble-ing them? I thought it was the Ser guy with a limp but he showed up fine later.

I think that was Heinrich (check spelling).

Edited by axcellence

I think that was Heinrich (check spelling).

Irich?

The Ninja Yodeler, I think, covered the answers pretty well.  More food for thought about the last scene can be found in the Secret History which is essentially mandatory reading these days.  Hoid throwing Wax the coin is an important event. For some reason Hoid thinks Wax has a role to play in larger picture.

1. Marasi or MeLaan left the cube for Irich to find because they figured he would immediately put it somewhere safe, that somewhere being wherever they were keeping ReLuur's spike. Basically they did not know where to look so they tricked him into going wherever the important stuff is kept so that they could follow him and pinch it all (getting the cube back in the process).

2/3/4. A Kelsier did it. It is implied that after the world was remade Kelsier managed to get a body back somehow and with a better understanding of the metallic arts he went south to save the people there, then finally made the Bands of Mourning and let everyone believe that they were the Lord Ruler's Bracers.

5. Who on Earth (or Scadrial) can ever guess what Kelsier is up to? Though Hoid obviously just wanted Wax to know that Kel is still about

The Bandits threw Irich and themselves off the train as part of their escape (they threw him because he is too feeble to make the jump himself). Can't remember what they landed in or on though.

Ok. Thanks everyone.. Particularly to ChocolateRob and NinjaYodeler.

Next set of questions:-

Alonoe - who is she? A worldhopper?

Also, they were worried about a threnodite / threnody? What was that all about?

The kandra at the end who killed Suit - was it part of a rogue set of kandra alluded to in Shadows of self?

Also, they were worried about a threnodite / threnody? What was that all about?

The kandra at the end who killed Suit - was it part of a rogue set of kandra alluded to in Shadows of self?

First question: Have you read Shadows for Silence? If not, the answer is a big spoiler.  Non-spoiler attempt: Threnody is a planet in the Cosmere. One of the characters you saw in Secret Histories - Nazh - is from Threnody originally.  Shadows for Silence takes place on Threnody and explains, at least in part, why the Ire were scanning to "Threnodites".

Second question: not kandra.  These are other creatures, possibly having the power of possession.  Kandra don't do the red eye  thing.

The Bandits threw Irich and themselves off the train as part of their escape (they threw him because he is too feeble to make the jump himself). Can't remember what they landed in or on though.

I thought that's how it went. I remember thinking "damnation, they just threw that old dude off that train! How far of a drop was that? There is now way he survived that." Then we see him hobbling around the crashed air ship. Do we know if he survived Bands?

• Chaos locked this topic