Equality for Darkeyes

If you want a build a social pyramid for a feudal society, you have to use something that can be easily seen and not easily changed.  If it was something simple like clothing, for example, or little star shaped fabric patches, people could just take them off or turn their coats inside out.  You wouldn't like it if riffraff could just come into your exclusive treehouse, wouldn't you?

Eye colour is an interesting marker for your status in the hierarchy.  Most of the time it's usually something along the lines of skintone or accent.

In Sanderson's books, having magic powers generally indicates or causes a high place in society. You have the Elantrians ruling Arelon, the nobles in Mistborn are supposed to be the only ones with powers, the Returned in Hallendren are treated as gods, etc. We know from Kaladin that, progressed far enough, light eyes appear. It is not unreasonable to assume that at some point this becomes permanent. Since the Knights Radiant were superheroes in every sense of the word I can think of (Reckoners doesn't count) it makes sense that they would naturally get power.

If nothing else, those with Shardblades usually beat those that don't.

Welcome to the Shard, where social equality is a common interest.

...don't get me started about the plight of left-handed lighteyed women.

-_-  -_-  -_-

Being a left-handed woman myself: I totally relate to this plight. Poor girls being labeled as clumsy and unsatisfactory due to being forced to write with their weak hand and it doesn't stop here: they can't use their left hand for nothing... As a left-handed, I don't even eat the same way  :o

I'd say darkeyes have it easier: at least they get to use both of their hands and their women don't get to wear silly dresses which render one of their hands useless. They just wear a glove  -_-

-_-  -_-  -_-

Being a left-handed woman myself: I totally relate to this plight. Poor girls being labeled as clumsy and unsatisfactory due to being forced to write with their weak hand and it doesn't stop here: they can't use their left hand for nothing... As a left-handed, I don't even eat the same way  :o

I'd say darkeyes have it easier: at least they get to use both of their hands and their women don't get to wear silly dresses which render one of their hands useless. They just wear a glove  -_-

I'm not a lefty, but both of my parents are, which makes me more apt to pay attention to these things.

It's really harsh when you factor in the fact that lighteyed "womanly" arts are things like scholarship and artistry, things that depend heavily on being able to use your hand(s) for things like writing or drawing.

(And...how in the heck do they manage musicianship?  They're playing flutes, for crying out loud!  You can't do that one-handed!)

I was under the impression they can use their safe hand while its covered by the sleeve. Shallan uses it to hold her notebook, for example. You can't do anything terribly dextrous because I assume its improper for individual fingers to be seen, (otherwise gloves would be fine), but you could probably hold a flute to your mouth with your safehand, and play the notes with your freehand.

I was under the impression they can use their safe hand while its covered by the sleeve. Shallan uses it to hold her notebook, for example. You can't do anything terribly dextrous because I assume its improper for individual fingers to be seen, (otherwise gloves would be fine), but you could probably hold a flute to your mouth with your safehand, and play the notes with your freehand.

To an extent, but that's a lot of fabric that's just gonna get in the way, and it's easy for a flute to slip out of a person's grip due to its size.  There's a reason we all had to cut the fingertips out of our uniform gloves in marching band.

Aon Daa, please don't double post. It's considered bad manners, or something. Instead, edit your previous post. 

We all do it once when we join, and then we're informed. It's like a rite of passage, or something.

I'm not a lefty, but both of my parents are, which makes me more apt to pay attention to these things.

It's really harsh when you factor in the fact that lighteyed "womanly" arts are things like scholarship and artistry, things that depend heavily on being able to use your hand(s) for things like writing or drawing.

(And...how in the heck do they manage musicianship?  They're playing flutes, for crying out loud!  You can't do that one-handed!)

How are you right handed when your parents are? I thought that left-handedness was recessive. (I'm a lefty myself)

Aon Daa, please don't double post. It's considered bad manners, or something. Instead, edit your previous post. 

We all do it once when we join, and then we're informed. It's like a rite of passage, or something.

How are you right handed when your parents are? I thought that left-handedness was recessive. (I'm a lefty myself)

*shrug*  I dunno. :)  I think it's a lot more complicated than dominant vs. recessive.

Both my parents are right-handed, but my aunt was left-handed. As far as I can tell, both my children are right-handed though my little son lack of interest in drawing makes it hard for me to determine if he has a preference.