[Bands Spoilers] Having the has Sazed a Metal?

NeutroniumAlchemist

The question borrowed from the musings of the famous Lord Mistborn and the New Ascendancy broadsheet. Since both Ruin and Preservation had a metal it stands to reason Harmony has a Metal of its own right?

My guess is this Ettmetal the Jamaicans used to power their ships

I apologize if this topic has been brought up before, couldn't find it through search bar

The question borrowed from the musings of the famous Lord Mistborn and the New Ascendancy broadsheet. Since both Ruin and Preservation had a metal it stands to reason Harmony has a Metal of its own right?

My guess is this Ettmetal the Jamaicans used to power their ships

I apologize if this topic has been brought up before, couldn't find it through search bar

Jamaicans? Lol. Is that really how you pictured them? Wow you actually made me laugh with that one.

Yeah though, with the Ettmetal. Im forced to agree. It's my only guess, unless B-Rand throws us another awesome curveball.

WoB says that we would eventually see Harmonium (Saze didn't like the term Sazedium). Ettmetal could be it, or it could be the metal from the Other God.

Can't be the second one. Sazed would know what the Alien God metal was if it were Harmonium.

Ettmetal makes the most sense. It has properties related to both Ruin (exploding when exposed to water) and Preservation (storing Allomantic/Feruchemical powers for a time).

Atium doesn't explode though.

Which isn't even a special trait, as an entire group of elements on the periodic table explodes in water at decent quantities. Perfectly natural phenomenon.

A bit offtopic, but reading that broadsheet ad still cracks me up. Really, every time somebody quotes something in High Imperial, Spook's wonky dialect, I have to fight back the chuckles because of how solemn they often make it sound. Like, if "veni, vidi, vici" actually meant something like "get rekt, m8" but we treat it as this serious and powerful "I came, I saw, I conquered". 

Upvote for the Jamaican Scadrians. Ettmetal is probably based off sodium, but it could theoretically be any of the elements in the first period. Does anyone know the energy released when, say, a gram, contacts water? Maybe an explosion radius or something would work.

A mole of lithium releases 184 kj when reacting with water.  Sodium has an atomic weight of ~23, so you're looking at 8 kj of energy.  To put that in perspective, the energy given off when you toss a gram of sodium into water is roughly the same amount of energy required to boil a teaspoon of water, the energy given off by eating around a quarter of a single peanut, or the energy burned by doing around 10-15 jumping jacks. (All in all, hardly impressive.)

Edited by kaiadam

Upvote for the Jamaican Scadrians. Ettmetal is probably based off sodium, but it could theoretically be any of the elements in the first period. Does anyone know the energy released when, say, a gram, contacts water? Maybe an explosion radius or something would work.

Just to clarify, any of the first group, not period, the first period is just Hydrogen and Helium. :P

But yeah, Sodium is not all that impressive.

I will point out though that I think it unlikely that Ettmetal is just a group 1 metal, mostly because any common group 1 metals would probably be vaguely known of by the Northerners and so the translation wouldn't mess up, but also because it seems a lot more stable, they don't seem to take any particular precautions in storing or handling it, it doesn't corrode as quickly as you'd expect, etc.

I wonder if the exploding in water has more to do with trace minerals inside the water itself rather than some chemical interaction with water itself.

• Chaos locked this topic