[Bands Spoilers] Glowing?

ccstat

When Marasi grabs the bands and does her awesomeness, she notices that she is leaking mist. When we get a Steris PoV, she comments that her sister "started glowing" and flew away. This struck me as odd. We have seen (and have WoB) that the mists and stormlight are very similar in lots of ways, being essentially the same thing for different shards; but to my knowledge we have never seen Scadrian mists glow, either on their own or in connection with an Ascension.

It makes the most sense from a narrative standpoint for the glowing to be in reference to the leaking mist, but magically that doesn't sound right to me. Maybe in "tapping everything" she was also drawing enough heat that she started to glow? I'm not sure.

So, is the glowing significant? Is it an error? Is it related to the leaking mist?

I don't think they would have ascended, but I do agree with the leakiness being too much Investiture to effectively use.  Aons glow.  Surgebinders glow.  Awakeners glow after what, the 9th Heightening? (Been a minute since I looked at them).  I think glowing is an indicator of how much Investiture is being channeled.  Leaking is when you channel too much to contain with just a glow. 

As far as a straight up brawl, yeah I agree that a full mistborn could probably beat a surgebinder, but that's more of an issue of how the abilities are directed rather than the amount of it IMO. 

I think you're forgetting that all Surgebinders are basically gold compounding at all times when they have stormlight. It would also depend drastically on which order they were up against. Some are more attuned to combat than others.

True...I'm not saying it would be easy.  I just think that Vin could beat Kaladin.  The best of each respective abilities we have seen on screen.  It would come down to who fights dirtier.  Vin has emotional alomancy and time bubbles and duralumin.  Kal has lashings and healing and more actual combat training.

But when you take Leeching into account, Vin wins as soon as she touches Kal.  He then dies from having his Investiture drained completely when they are a few hundred feet feet in the sky.  :)

Also Mistborn can burn Atium.  Way unfair.

I think you're forgetting that all Surgebinders are basically gold compounding at all times when they have stormlight. It would also depend drastically on which order they were up against. Some are more attuned to combat than others.

I say this a lot, but gold compounding is just burning goldmind to produce health at greater quantities in the form of allomancy (that is generally then stored to be tapped normally). Gold feruchemy in general is the better comparison since it does the same thing and can achieve identical results as compounding (with a obnoxiously impractical amount of stored health for a normal Bloodmaker to have, of course).

Gold compounders are honestly harder to run dry of investiture than a surgebinder anyway. Though surgebinders heal way faster than normal Bloodmakers usually can (they still can, they just can't really afford to do so).

Thing people tend to forget is it is not gold compounding, it is the equivalent of plain ole feruchemical gold tapping. Yes it is external, but it is still from a finite source, you cannot get the compounding loop with stormlight. What makes stormlight healing actually worse in my opinion than feruchemical gold tapping, is that gold depletes from its own source. So even if you run out of gold, you can still use any of your other abiltiies if you are a full feruchemist. Stormlight on the other hand, fuels all of the abilities. If you drain your stormlight to heal grevious injuries, then that is less stormlight you have to windrun, or soulcast. If you use your stormlight to windrun or soulcast, that is less stormlight to use to heal. 

• 10 months later...
On 2/3/2016 at 9:46 AM, TwelfthOfSnackTime said:

Maybe it just goes to show how much power Surgbinders have compared to their Scadrian counterparts. It takes a Fullborn Compounding to have enough Investiture that it begins to leak out unused, whereas a Surgebinder can achieve that much Stormlight by inhaling a Broam.

Or, it could be that Surgebinders leak more investiture now that Honor was shattered.  Just a thought...

Stormlight Archive spoilers

Spoiler

Stormlight leaking for its container is a natural characteristic of it, so it isn't that comparable to the leaking of powers in other cases, since most of them are probably designed to remain in their container until used. In other words, stormlight seeks to leave its container, but most other powers probably don't. Also, glowing isn't a product of stormlight leaking. There's a recent WoB that states that if you had a contained which could perfectly and infinitely hold stormlight, it would still glow.

Probably should keep SA discussion in spoilers.

• Chaos locked this topic