[BoM Spoilers] A broadsheet back from Shadows of Self...

Platysaur

I'm not sure if this was addressed or not, as I've just finished Bands of Mourning since I've found time to do so.

The broadsheet in Shadows of Self refer to this monster-like creature with a demonic face. The description is really similar to me as one of the masks from the Southerners, and this entity was spotted in New Seran. Is it one of the Southerners, or could it still be a worldhopper since it was in a pool?

Or it was a fanciful tale with no basis in reality.  It's not, though.  I'd actually like to see something like that in one of the broadsheets.  There are all these crazy stories, but they all seem to be fairly factual.  The story in the BoM broadsheet with the gun that shot out ghosts seemed ridiculous, I totally didn't catch that that was Nazh though.  Where's the Scadrian version of bigfoot or any other nonsense.  Maybe Harmony interferes with journalism to make it more accurate.

My bet's on a worldhopping Southerner.

The (presumed) Shardpool and the (presumed) Southerner could actually be related only tangentially. The Southerner could've been exploring the Basin (like we know they have been doing), and could've seen the lake, maybe from the air, and decided to check it out.

We have a confirmed South Poler sighting on Roshar circa *before* Shadows of Self. This means that at least one Southerner worldhopped before.  Given the timeline, (and based on how books 3-5 of SA go), the actual worldhopper reported in the SoS broadsheet may be *that very person*.

We don't really know how many shardpool there are out there. We've usually seen a one-to-one sharpool - to - Shard correspondence so far, so perhaps there is only one Shardpool left on Scadrial.

Incidentally, has anyone ever asked Brandon how the geographic location of a Shardpool is "decided" upon? Does the Shard have actual control over where it shows up?  

We have a confirmed South Poler sighting on Roshar circa *before* Shadows of Self. This means that at least one Southerner worldhopped before.  Given the timeline, (and based on how books 3-5 of SA go), the actual worldhopper reported in the SoS broadsheet may be *that very person*.

That's what I was thinking.  Maybe instead of being someone like Iyatil, it was just Iyatil herself.  Seems like something Brandon would do.

Incidentally, has anyone ever asked Brandon how the geographic location of a Shardpool is "decided" upon? Does the Shard have actual control over where it shows up?  

Use a compass needle. It points to Preservation's shardpool, or at least it used to.

Also, I guess that "Northern Scadrial" is still located in the Southern Hemisphere, because the Northern Roughs seem Savanna-like (nealy tropical), while the Elendel basin has a kind of mediterran climate.

That's what I was thinking.  Maybe instead of being someone like Iyatil, it was just Iyatil herself.  Seems like something Brandon would do.

Except Iyatil's mask is orange, and since skin is grown over it I doubt she would change it. The person seen had black and red. 

I don't think there is enough evidence to support the claim that there exists a Southerner worldhopper. I stand by my suggestions from before - Shardpools tend to be in interesting places, so it's very possible for a Southerner explorer (and we know they have been exploring) to have stumbled upon the pool and decided to investigate. 

I don't think there is enough evidence to support the claim that there exists a Southerner worldhopper. I stand by my suggestions from before - Shardpools tend to be in interesting places, so it's very possible for a Southerner explorer (and we know they have been exploring) to have stumbled upon the pool and decided to investigate. 

So, you do not believe that Iyatil is a Hunter?

I acknowledge the possibility, but don't personally believe it to be true.

Interesting. The description of masks on the faces match. "Iyatil is a worldhopper" theory appeared to be reasonably sound even before BoM. So, what makes you think otherwise?

I don't think the masks' descriptions match well enough, and Iyatil has the weird growth of flesh fusing with the mask, which is absent in the Hunters which we know to change their masks (albeit rarely).

One gave a mask to each child, and those only changed once, when they reached adulthood. Allik claimed that these people— called Hunters— even grew into their masks somehow, though Marasi found that difficult to believe.

That sounds an awful lot like Iyatil...  Not to mention Brandon has mentioned that we've seen a Southern Scadrian worldhopper.