Calamity Release Party in Orem

CarolaDavar

So I heard that Calamity is being released on February 16th, but I don't know what time.
I want to go to the party, but I might not be able to, depending on the time.
I think Brandon Sanderson said it would me in the day, instead of midnight, but I don't know specifics.
Anyone know?

Edited by little wilson
title change

I have not been able to find anything on Brandon's website under "Upcoming Events", so I think they're still figuring things out. The re-release for Alcatraz books 1 and 2 is also that day, if Amazon is to be believed, so it'll be like a triple release party. :D

My guess is that it will be on Monday 15th, and I bet it will start about 9:00ish at the Barnes and Nobles in Orem. I'm pretty sure about the location, but less sure about the time. I know that it's going to be an evening release signing, rather than a midnight release though, so you should be able to get to bed sooner.  

I do recall Brandon saying at the Christmastime signing he did at the Orem B&N that he was going to come back to that same store for Calamity's release, so I think it's safe to say it won't be in Jordan Landing again. The question is whether it will be on release day, or the day before.

You can bet I'll be there! It's literally like 5 minutes from my house.

Yay! I hope I'll recognize you! Or vice versa, either way... i'll probably be carrying around a blue and black bag with a pink leather cased tablet in it (it has mistborn stickers) and I might be dressed as a mistborn, but I will have my brother (hydra) with me as Wayne

Yay! I hope I'll recognize you! Or vice versa, either way... i'll probably be carrying around a blue and black bag with a pink leather cased tablet in it (it has mistborn stickers) and I might be dressed as a mistborn, but I will have my brother (hydra) with me as Wayne

And I will be dressed as Prof. I just need to do a little repair work on my tensors. And I'll probably be wearing an orange drawstring bag on my back. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My signing report from the Calamity release party:

Q. Are any of the Lord Ruler's descendants kandra?

A. No.

Q. Have we seen any them in Era 2?

A. Yes.

Q. Where?

A. There are a lot of descendants, percentage-wise, but you're looking for something that isn't there. There are descendants of the Lord Ruler, but there's not some secret coven. It's not outside of reason to say that some of his descendants are part of a coven, but it's not like some super-secret magic society.

Q. You mentioned that "half-ish" of the existing Shards are whole at the time of Shadows of Self. Is that counting splinters?

A. No. Splintered is one of the ways they are not considered whole. (He's thinking about Dominion and Devotion and says that's the opposite of whole)

My clarification:  I was thinking about shattered versus splintered, and going with shattered with Devotion and Dominion. And then splintered would be Honor separating a piece of himself to create the spren (pre-Shattering).

His response: On Scadrial, Ruin and Preservation did the same thing. Their bodies are part of the world. Things on the spiritual realm don't matter where they are in relation to each other. All those spren are still Honor, when he was alive. Does that make sense? Yes, they're splinters of Honor, but they're still Honor. It's not like he's diminished, because his whole essence is the world. There's no diminishing that. So we're talking about the fracturing of the mind and killing of the Shard. That's the distinction between whole and not whole.

Q. Are there any Shards we don't know of that are Shattered?

A. Yes. (Zas' sister says "Four....ish...right?") Eh....Honor is gone. Devotion and Dominion are gone. There are others. The question is is Cultivation gone or not? I haven't answered that for you. There are others. So this is why I'm not going to give you answers on this.

Q. Does Bavadin have a sibling?

A. RAFO

Q. Can you give us any hints about Vax's magic system?

A. No. (To which Isaac says something about a magic system based on RAFO: the more RAFO you get, the more Investiture you're able to hold)

Yes, yes, I know my wording of that last one was begging for him to say no, even without the content of it, but whatever. :P I still think his comments about both TLR and the stuff about Shards, splintering, and the Spiritual Realm were rather useful, so that cancels out the two non-answers. :)

Q. Can you give us any hints about Vax's magic system?

A. No. (To which Isaac says something about a magic system based on RAFO: the more RAFO you get, the more Investiture you're able to hold)

Therefore we Sharder are quite demi-gods on Vax  B)

I think that there's some minor confusion of terminology, here. Shattering, as far as I recall, has only been used to refer to the original Shattering of Adonalsium. Splintering is different, and I think that this is where the confusion is coming in. A Splinter is a being like a seon, while Splintering is what happened to Devotion and Dominion. Naturally, there is some overlap between the two terms because the Splinters on Sel are the direct result of the Shards there being Splintered. However, things like Divine Breaths and spren, while still Splinters, are not coming from Splintered Shards.

I think that there's some minor confusion of terminology, here. Shattering, as far as I recall, has only been used to refer to the original Shattering of Adonalsium. Splintering is different, and I think that this is where the confusion is coming in. A Splinter is a being like a seon, while Splintering is what happened to Devotion and Dominion. Naturally, there is some overlap between the two terms because the Splinters on Sel are the direct result of the Shards there being Splintered. However, things like Divine Breaths and spren, while still Splinters, are not coming from Splintered Shards.

In his responses to little wilson's questions Brandon basically gave us HIS way of assessing whether a Shard is whole or not: is there a mind ( = an actual Shardholder) associated with the Shard.  By that standard, Honor, Dominion, Devotion are toasts, while Ruin and Preservation are not.

He is very slick about Cultivation. That part of the answer raises more questions than it answers. I always assumed that Cultivation is alive, but then.... On the other hand, I think it is totally fair game for Brandon to screw with our heads and troll us, because, heck, who wouldn't? 

I'm pretty sure that the Cultivation answer was just to mess with us. I don't know who else Hoid could have been talking about when he joked that he doesn't get along with the only woman in the area who is his age. Granted, if she is dead, then that certainly does raise some huge questions.

I didn't ask any questions nearly as deep as little wilson's, but here is my report:

Q: If an Epic gifts their powers to someone, is that person then vulnerable to the Epic's weakness?

A: Yes, but to a lesser extent.

(And this is shown/explained in Calamity, which I finished reading today, so not an earth-shattering revelation.)