[Bands Spoiler] Alloy of Law cover art

KC Hammer

I always thought the cover art of Alloy of Law was a bit weird since it has Wayne holding a gun. However, maybe this isn't inconsistent, given the events at the end of Bands of Mourning where Wayne not only uses the shotgun but then uses his own brand of logic to say its barely a gun.

I'm not saying that it was intentionally included 2 books ago, but I just think it is something to note.

Edit: Modified title to put spoiler tag. 

Edited by KC Hammer

I think Brandon said something about the cover, something along the lines of he didn't have artistic control over the covers so we wasn't able to get the publisher to change it. Something like that anyway.

This is pretty much it. Wayne holds a gun there for artistic reasons. 

This is pretty much it. Wayne holds a gun there for artistic reasons. 

I heard that as well, but I just thought it was interesting that it is now explainable in canon as well as the real reason it happened. 

I think I'm looking at a different cover then the rest of you.  Could you take a picture of the cover your seeing?

Here you go.

the-alloy-of-law.jpg

I always thought the cover art of Alloy of Law was a bit weird since it has Wayne holding a gun. However, maybe this isn't inconsistent, given the events at the end of Bands of Mourning where Wayne not only uses the shotgun but then uses his own brand of logic to say its barely a gun.

I'm not saying that it was intentionally included 2 books ago, but I just think it is something to note.

Edit: Modified title to put spoiler tag.

That always bothered me as well. I don't know if the artist knew the plot of the series when this art is made, but I think it really doesn't matter that much. Also, does Wax wear goggles?

Wax does wear goggles and BS was not happy about it (too steampunk-ish). Luckily there was one scene where Wax wears goggles in AoL and it's where he metalurgically analyses the Vanishers' guns.

Wax does wear goggles and BS was not happy about it (too steampunk-ish). Luckily there was one scene where Wax wears goggles in AoL and it's where he metalurgically analyses the Vanishers' guns.

Well, in the annotations, his exact word was "amused" rather than annoyed.

And then he went and made Southern airships, so he doesn't get to deny the essence of steampunk anymore.  :D

The Cover Artist is the same guy that does the Dresden Files, which consistently depicts the main character in a cowboy hat in every cover despite Harry Dresden never owning one. It even gets mentioned in universe once or twice. It has taught us not to over think the covers. Covers Lie.

Edited by Uilos

The Cover Artist is the same guy that does the Dresden Files, which consistently depicts the main character in a cowboy hat in every cover despite Harry Dresden never owning one. It even gets mentioned in universe once or twice. It has taught us not to over think the covers. Covers Lie.

Don't blame the poor cover art. They had no control over what those pesky artists made them into. Edited by The Ninja Yodeler

Wouldn't that be mistpunk?

Mistpunk.  I like it.

Jim Butcher has said that it's actually a running joke between him and the artist now.  Every time Jim puts a mention into the book of how Harry "doesn't do hats" the hat on the cover gets a little bigger.

• Chaos locked this topic