So, post-mortem.

There were two objectives with this game: One, to depower the Roles a bit and to bring the focus onto analysis and guesswork rather than sureity and powers, and two, to trial the new mechanic added with this game.

So, in order:

1) Depowered Roles. Roles were a lot less useful than normal, but I feel I underpowered them too much. I also added complicated riders onto the abilities too, which just complicated things for no real bonus. There's a place for less powerful Roles in games, but only if they remove complication rather than add them. In particular, I feel I haven't found a level I'm happy with for the vote-manipulator. The restriction I put on was too much, but no restriction is too powerful.

2) The Mission. This was kind of a bit of a dud. I presume the problem was just that four people is not enough place to hide in to make it viable for the Eliminators. This might have been perfectly fine if there were 30 players or so, but I'm not sure. Allowing the Eliminators to be portioned off into groups within the players is never great. However, it looks like I got the end-game conditions about right, as I buffed the Eliminators' win condition a bit in exchange for weaker Eliminators. I also feel that this clearly showed 24 hours was not enough time for the Planning Phase, as three people died to it, two of whom were active at some point during it.

I think these are the only two points that stood out to me this game. I would say these rules need to be rethought in the situations they're likely to be in for this forum. Overall, we had a close game, which is good, but I feel a lot could be done to simplify this game and make it work better.

It was good fun to play around with your characters in the setting, and I enjoyed continuing the theme of my previous game and playing around with the nature of the writeups. I just wish I had a bit more time to devote to them than I had, but overall it worked out fairly well.

So, to summarise: Weaker Roles =/= Complicated Restrictions, and Portioned Eliminators = Obvious Eliminators.

Thank you all for playing, and I hope to see you all again whenever my time comes around once more.

Edited by Wyrmhero

• 4 weeks later...

Idk what Wyrm's going on about up there in his analysis. :P Considering that this game came down to what amounted to a lynch correctly or die situation, I'd say that this was a good example of a Resistance style of game; especially since it was the first one! 

Granted, I do agree that perhaps opening up the number of people on the missions might have helped, but then you couldn't really use that as the win con for the Eliminators as well. I wouldn't mind seeing how it would work where roughly half of the players go on a mission every other cycle or so and give the Eliminators a normal win con though. 

Either way, I think that this was a very interesting format and I'm hoping we'll see something like it again someday! Thanks, Wyrm!

Now, as always, if anyone would like to try your hand at running a game, please get a hold of GammaWilson,  Alvron, or myself. Not only will we get you added to the list, but I'm sure we'd be more than willing to help out in any way we can as well!

You can also ask questions and get some hints and feedback from everyone over here in our Art of Game Creation thread as well. With all the games that we've run so far, we have plenty of experienced GMs that can help you refine any game you're thinking about!

Thanks again to everyone that played and we look forward to seeing you in future games!