[Band Spoilers] Omnipotence

ParadoxicalZen

So I was rereading the Wax/Harmony scene when a part stood out to me that I'm not sure how interpret;

“You are not encouraging me. Aren’t You omnipotent?”“Hardly,” Harmony said, smiling. “But I believe that parts of me could be.”“That doesn’t make any sense.”“It won’t until I make it do so,”

I think I'm reading Saze's first line right, which I believe refers to Ruin/Preservation but his second line is what baffles me. Is Saze referring to making the two Shards finally become one? Or perhaps making a play for other Shard's?

Thoughts and ideas especially welcome

I noticed that, too, and the emphasis on "could". It was peculiar.

Also, as I didn't want to create an entirely separate thread for it, I noticed that Sazed still has practically no knowledge of the Spiritual Realm, despite holding two Shards. Makes me curious as to how many Shards you NEED to hold in order to learn about the Spiritual Realm, or if even Shardholders aren't automatically given knowledge of the S.Realm--and if so, how does one learn about it?

So I was rereading the Wax/Harmony scene when a part stood out to me that I'm not sure how interpret;

I think I'm reading Saze's first line right, which I believe refers to Ruin/Preservation but his second line is what baffles me. Is Saze referring to making the two Shards finally become one? Or perhaps making a play for other Shard's?

Thoughts and ideas especially welcome

I actually read that as saying: "It won’t [make sense] until I make it [make sense]" as in, making sense to Wax. Wax couldn't comprehend the idea unless Harmony expanded Wax's mind so that he could understand what Harmony meant by that.

Also, as I didn't want to create an entirely separate thread for it, I noticed that Sazed still has practically no knowledge of the Spiritual Realm, despite holding two Shards. Makes me curious as to how many Shards you NEED to hold in order to learn about the Spiritual Realm, or if even Shardholders aren't automatically given knowledge of the S.Realm--and if so, how does one learn about it?

I think you mean the final afterlife, which is not the Spiritual Realm.

W: "Aren’t You omnipotent?”
H: “Hardly,” Harmony said, smiling. “But I believe that parts of me could be.”

>> I think Harmony is saying that certain elements of his godhood could be infinite/all-powerful.

W: “That doesn’t make any sense.”
H: “It won’t until I make it do so”

>> This either means one of two things: [1] Harmony must - through divine revelation - provide additional information to mortals before his potential omnipotence can be understood, or [2] Harmony has yet to take some kind of action that will provide the understanding needed to comprehend his potential (or realized) omnipotence.

If [2] is the correct meaning it very well could mean that Harmony intends to pursue omnipotence by obtaining/combining additional shards. However, if this were his meaning it would be an odd way to say it. For instance, it would make much more sense to say, "Hardly, but I could be." The "parts of me" statement kind of implies that only certain elements of Harmony are omnipotent.

My first impression was that this was a reserved way of saying that the shards Sazed holds are <i>immortal</i> but that isn't what "omnipotent" means (omni = "all" & potent = "able" so omnipotent means able to do anything or "all-powerful"). So, I think we need more information here before we can make any substantive theories about what Sazed is talking about.

I think you need to read/re-read Mistborn: Secret History. You get some clues about shardholders' interaction with the Spiritual realm there.

This simply might mean that Adonalsium him/her/itself did not know much about Spiritual Realm.

• Chaos locked this topic