[BoM Spoilers] How Many Twinborn Have There Been?

DSC01

Khriss tells Wax that there have only been 3 recorded cases of Crashers in history. She suggests that this is a low number, but it isn't clear whether she means that Crashers are particularly rare examples of twinborn or if they're just rare in general.

Assuming that 3 is the average number, and there have been about that many for all 256 combinations, then there have only ever been 768 twinborn. That just doesn't seem like enough to me. There would be maybe 150-200 twinborn alive at any given time. It sounds insane to say that the team of Wax and Wayne represents 1% of all living twinborn--that Wax has personally killed a significant percentage of all twinborn who have ever lived.

I don't know. What do you guys think?

This is just a fluke. With such a small sample group (twinborn) you will naturally have huge differences between numbers of Twinborn combinations. That said, twinborn are extremely rare, and thus ~175 twinborn alive would be IMO a fairly reasonable amount to assume without any further WoBs on the subject. 

Seems enough to me. The point of that conversation is to highlight the rarity of twinborn. We're talking about the simultaneously presence of two already rare hereditary traits that both originate from separate races. Races that have started to not interbreed again recently.

That's already rare enough, and each combination out if 256 would be extremely hard to find.

Races as a whole, I mean. Still happens, there's always oddball outliers when working with statistics, and we encounter twinborn frequently enough with Wax's patented misfortune. There seems to be a cultural shift for Elendel Terris to value pure blood with the Village scenes . . .

I am pretty sure some combinations would probably be more rare than others. Wasn't there something about Ferrings with powers in the spiritual quadrant being notably less common than the others? Which I guess would mean there are even less than your estimate.

You also have to take into account twinborn with Allomantic Aluminum/Duralumin, who are technically twinborn, but don't really have two useful powers. So that's even less twinborn running around.

I think Khriss was noting how Wax is special because there are so few Crashers, them being particularly rare for some reason. I'd say there are probably around 1000 twinborn ever born.

Khriss tells Wax that there have only been 3 recorded cases of Crashers in history. She suggests that this is a low number, but it isn't clear whether she means that Crashers are particularly rare examples of twinborn or if they're just rare in general.

Assuming that 3 is the average number, and there have been about that many for all 256 combinations, then there have only ever been 768 twinborn. That just doesn't seem like enough to me. There would be maybe 150-200 twinborn alive at any given time. It sounds insane to say that the team of Wax and Wayne represents 1% of all living twinborn--that Wax has personally killed a significant percentage of all twinborn who have ever lived.

I don't know. What do you guys think?

Assuming Crashers are typically rare may not be a safe assumption. It is entirely possible that for various reasons Wax is a statistical anomaly, and that either Crashers are rarer than average, or that they just haven't cropped up as much as the comparative rarity of Twinborn, Skimmers, and Coinshots would suggest that they should. I'd say "around 800 Twinborn in all of time" is probably a good lower limit to start with.

He may also only be the third Crasher on Record. One of the major problems we've noticed in Mistings is that they don't know what metal they can use unless they have been given it to them. How many Ferrings have gone on with their lives without ingesting Steel? How many children have been born that were unaware of their parentage and had access to metalminds or ingestible metals. Also, imagine someone coming in to their powers in an unprepared environment. How many do you think may have Pushed themselves off of a building, or in to a river or some other such dumb thing. Making yourself lighter or heavier and then hurling yourself in to the air is a great way to get yourself killed if you don't know what you're doing, where you're going, or have someone to save you.

So Wax may be one of the Three on record, but there is no way to account for every single one.

• Chaos locked this topic