Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mostgratuitous

[Spoilers, BoM] Hoid's property

15 posts in this topic

So, I was just in the middle of my second read-through when something jumped out at me. I remember it striking me as odd the first time, but still, weird.

When Wax and Marasi are approaching the mansion for the party in New Seran, they're stopped by Hoid, who gives Wax the

coin/coppermind

. When Wax tells the "beggar" that it's private property, he says something very interesting:

“The beggar laughed. “I own the place, technically. Now, regarding those coins for old Hoid, my good lord…”

(emphasis mine)

Is there something that I'm not remembering? Is Hoid just being a weirdo? I have no idea.

Edited by mostgratuitous

I don't remember anything that could explain the comment.

Maybe Leras/Ati owed him a debt and Hoid took all of Scadrial in payment.  You can drive a barn through "technically".

Edited by Bremen

I saw that but, with a lack of any corresponding info, it's a mystery :/

"My first thought was,  that he lied with every word."

Either this is just random Hoid oddness.  Or it's oddness betraying something nefarious that Hoid is up to.

Yeah I don't trust Hoid.

I am quite sure that Hoid never, technically, lies.  :unsure:

Ruin and Preservation created Scandrial, Hoid was a bit of Preservation power in him, (the Lerasium bead). So technically he was a part of the god that created the planet and own the place

Nay, Hoid are the cognitive shadow of Adonalsium everything is of him =)

He had me there too,  why he own's Scandrial ?

My first thought was that "Hoid has a mansion? Wow!" and then I realized that Hoid is Hoid and is cryptic. *puts on aluminum foil* Maybe he was referring to more than Scadrial...? *takes off aluminum foil*

I am quite sure that Hoid never, technically, lies.  :unsure:

Give me your trust said the Aes Sedai.

Given his mysterious relationship with the 16, I'd guess that somehow he owns Scadrial, at least by Yolish law, not that it really applies anymore.  If he owns Scadrial though, does that mean he might own Roshar?  Nalthis?  Sel?  How many planets does Hoid own?

Given his mysterious relationship with the 16, I'd guess that somehow he owns Scadrial, at least by Yolish law, not that it really applies anymore.  If he owns Scadrial though, does that mean he might own Roshar?  Nalthis?  Sel?  How many planets does Hoid own?

Was he in Ati's and Leras' will?

Hold from the past "owned" or was owed something by the shards perhaps? Or maybe he helped make the worlds...

I'd just assume he loaned Leras or Ati a couple of bucks way back when and they let the interest pile WAAAAY up.

"I hope you're prepared to own up to the deal, because the Bank of Hoid has the highest interest rate in the cosmere."

^ A Trails series reference? Have all my upvotes. :D

Anyhow, given that Hoid knew all the shardholders pre-Shattering it certainly could be that he thinks Leras and/or Ati owed him money. Or he could be acting weird for the sake of it or as part of his cover. Or Up To Something. You never can tell with Hoid...