[Secret History] A new Shard?

Kinolee

The Ire mentions Fortune, with a capital F.  It sounds like a Shard to me.

"You always jump at stories, Alonoe.  Not every coincidence is a sign of someone drawing upon Fortune."

- Location 1389, Kindle

Are we absolutely positive that there is no Shard on Threnody?  I haven't read Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell because I didn't think it was important in the greater scheme of the Cosmere.  I suppose I need to rethink that position now.

Also, who is Senna?  Whoever she is, she's likely the bearer of a Shard.  Preservation mentions her.

"Oh, Senna..." Preservation whispered "I'm losing this place. Losing them all..."

-Location 823, Kindle

Maybe Senna is the holder of Fortune.  Maybe she's someone totally different.  Why do I assume she's a she?

Edited by Kinolee

Possibly?  Einstein didn't think so, but Stephen Hawking does.

I just don't know what else Fortune would be.  Is she talking about the Feruchemical property of Chromium?  Why use a capital F?  None of the other attributes are capitalized in this way.

I've edited the title, please try to be vague when naming threads (as per the current spoiler policy).  Anyway there is already a thread discussing whether Fortune is a Shard here.  And yes we are absolutely positive there is no Shard on Threnody, there is WoB on that somewhere.

If you look t the ars arcanum in, for example, Shadows of Self, you'll see that in the Ferruchemical column Chromium "stores Fortune"  with a capital F.  A person tapping chromium will become more lucky.

"Not every coincidence is a sign of someone drawing upon Fortune" is an idiom like "not all that glitters is gold".

I really don't think it's Feruchemy, though.  Iron stores weight, not Weight.  Steel stores speed, not Speed.

I also don't see why an Elantrian would use an idiom that involves Scadrian Feruchemy, especially regarding a metal (Chromium) that was completely unknown to the Feruchemists of that time.  They didn't even know that there were 16 metals back then.  It's not a phrase that would have ever been used on Scadrial at the time, let alone Sel.

Edited by Kinolee

All the feruchemical (and allomantic) powers in the ars arcanum are capitalized. Methinks Fortune to be a shard.

I've always figured Hoid to be a pawn of chance, despite the little we know about him. Alonoe's definitely after Hoid and also on the alert for someone "drawing upon Fortune." Is it crazy to think that Hoid and Fortune are connected somehow?

The Ire mentions Fortune, with a capital F.  It sounds like a Shard to me.

Bands spoilers:

It's used with a capital in Bands:

He paused, and circled his pointer around a group of metals and abilities at the bottom: Fortune, Investiture, Identity, and Connection. Wax leaned forward. They’d spoken of these during his year living in the Village, but only as part of the catechisms of Feruchemy and Terris belief. None of those specified what the powers actually did. They were considered beyond understanding, like God, or time.

• Chaos locked this topic