Calthrop

Something we're forgetting; SoScads change their masks as a result of major changes or achievement. It could be some of Iyatil's people migrated, she changed her mask when she was young to mark the change in world and then grew into the one she wears now. It could be a good question to ask Brandon if she ever changed her mask when she was young.

Edit; just reread the part about Hunters, and apparently they only change masks once, perhaps as a right of becoming an adult?

Edited by ParadoxSpren

The thing is, though, carapace probably would be even more conspicuous than the traditional wood-and-glass masks because no one makes anything from carapace on Roshar, as far as we know. Any mask is going to be an oddity, but at least wood and glass are both materials that are used to make things.

I don't think the choice of carapace has anything to do with Roshar, though. WoB is that Iyatil came from one place, grew up in another place, and is now on Roshar. My guess is that "one place"=Scadrial and "another place"=where she got her mask. Her face has grown in around this mask; it is not something she changes to fit in. In fact, while I don't know exactly how one's face growing around a mask would work, my guess is that Iyatil doesn't change the mask ever.

I agree. But my thinking was coming more from the place of something happened to her original mask during her " hop" to Roshar. She had to replace it as fast as possible, and what is everywhere on Roshar? Far more plentiful than trees thanks to highstorms? Carapace. And I'm guessing like you said, her mask is very important to her, and she would never just remove it. So she wouldn't just remove it again just to put one made of wood on. That's if her hopping escapades were turbulent that is. Edited by The Ninja Yodeler

• Chaos locked this topic