[Bands & secret history spoiler] Who made a certain object?

Twenty@20

So did Kelsier make the bands of mourning? If so,this raises so many questions.

Secret History

Has he really managed to return to the Physical realm

Can it be that Kelsier stole the bands from someone else and pretended to have made it. TLR could have made it before Vin killed him. During the 1st trilogy it was forgotten and Kelsier later dug it up once he learnt of its value. Other possibility could be that Marsh (does he have all the allo & feru attributes?) made it and then Kelsier stole it.

Kelsier making the bands is the biggest surprise of the Mistborn series yet. A throwback to the Original trilogy with cosmere wide ramifications. Just imagine if he makes more of these bands? Can Wax or the Kandra using the band make more bands. Whoa. Game over.

Edited by Moogle

Well, if they could figure out how to make a 16-metal-intertwined metalmind this way (according to Allik even 3 abilities is difficult) then sure they could make more Bands by compounding nicrosil. That's actually a clever way to stop the issue of rampant demigods on Brandon's part really, was worried about that.

They could probably make, like, specific twinborn medallions though. Especially gold and steel compounder ones (most combat and warfare application really. Infinite muscle mass is stupid and self-hindering), maybe add a second feruchemical power to top it off if they get it right. Could be bad. But at least we won't have an easy army of Lord Rulers.

“So to create one with multiple powers…”

“You must be very skilled,” Allik said. “More skilled than any who has lived among us. Or…” He chuckled. “Or you’d have to have all the powers, rather than adding yours to the medallion, then passing it to another to have it added to! If that were the case, you’d be a great god indeed. As powerful as the Sovereign.”

Emphasis mine

So using the band someone would have all the powers and can use them to make another band. After all that's how the Sovereign made the original band bypassing the skill problem.

All this stuff about the Bands being a trick, and Kelsier/Spook being involved in it is cool and everything.

But where is the Lord Ruler's ACTUAL gear? Someone must have nabbed it all from his palace after the revolution. Just getting access to his copperminds would be cool as hell.

I'm sure that his copperminds were keyed to him, so they'd be useless. I believe that Elend and Vin sold his original metalminds to keep the kingdom running. The most likely outcome is that they were ground down for allomancers to use. They wouldn't be useful as metalminds because they'd already be stuffed full of Investiture that was keyed to a dead man. I doubt that he made any universal-access metalminds. If his benevolence for his people after his death extended that far, one would imagine that he would have mentioned them in one of the vaults. 

I assume that the sovereign (who I believe to be a resurrected Keslier) made the bands. Since Allik's folks seemed to think he had all the powers, it would make more sense for him to have made them himself rather than finding them. Also, where would the sovereign have found them in the first place? None of the characters had found anything like them by the end of HoA and the world was destroyed. 

[edited to remove Secret History spoilers)

Edited by fyodor

Well, if they could figure out how to make a 16-metal-intertwined metalmind this way (according to Allik even 3 abilities is difficult) then sure they could make more Bands by compounding nicrosil. That's actually a clever way to stop the issue of rampant demigods on Brandon's part really, was worried about that.

I think The Bands of Mourning are different. Anyone who is a full Allomancer and full Feruchemist can make one. They store their Identity in Aluminiun, meaning any Metalmind they create can be tapped by anyone - and then they store their Investiture in Nicrosil. Anyone who then taps that Nicrosil becomes a full Allomancer and Feruchemist as long as the charge lasts.

The Medalions are different because at the most people only have one Allomantic ability and one Feruchemical one, meaning it requires technology to make them (as you need to be able to store Identity via Aluminium, the store Investiture via Nicrosil, that Investiture being the ability to use whatever Metal it is in the Medalion)

Emphasis mine

So using the band someone would have all the powers and can use them to make another band. After all that's how the Sovereign made the original band bypassing the skill problem.

The issue is that whilst using the Bands you're burning up part of the store of Nicrosil, so you could only split up the Bands into several? Though I suppose you might be able to compound Nicrosil - but we're not sure if that would work the same as normal Compounding.

• Chaos locked this topic