[Secret History spoilers] Did we just get another Shard named?

PallonianFire

During Kelsier's spying on the Ire, we get this little tidbit:

"Bah," said a seated man who held a cup of glowing liquid. "You always jump at stories, Alonoe. Not every coincidence is a sign of someone drawing upon Fortune."

As far as I can remember, I've never seen fortune capitalized or used in the context of actively implementing it as a power. New Shard, perhaps?

Edited by PallonianFire

And because I'm impatient and want to know ALL THE THINGS at THIS VERY MOMENT. Ha. The fact that we still don't know the Intents of, what, seven of the Shards? Frustrating. It would make sense for him to reveal another one at this stage, considering how much he opened up the Cosmere with this novella.

That's assuming he's not counting Autonomy as that reveal, since I guess this is the first time it's been mentioned on the actual page.

It's interesting how it's the Ire talking about Fortune; they're not from Scadrial, so why would they be talking about Feruchemy?

But it appears the four attributes that Spiritual Feruchemy stores - Connection, Investiture, Fortune, and Identity - are present throughout the cosmere, and they're not just obscure Feruchemical powers. Especially since we saw that Connection is a huge part of the Spiritual Realm. I wonder how other Magic Systems deal with Connection, Fortune, and Identity... the Moon Scepter altering your Connection is one possibility.

That's a good point. I would love to have had a new shard name dropped though.

Well, this is the first time we've seen Devotion and Autonomy included outside of WoB. So... better than nothing, I guess? But, yeah, it would have been cool if either Khriss or the Ire had mentioned a new Shard.

True, but I feel like we've known about Devotion for so long, and Autonomy was just made mention of recently. It's not even a nitpick, I was just so excited to read that capitalized word, but now I'm deflated ;) still one of the best things Brandon has written.

I suppose I'll just have to go speculate on the Vax name drop.

I doubt that Fortune is a shard. All other shards are personality aspects, while this one is a non-personality trait, or a myth (depending on who you talk to). It just doesn't seem in line with the text and makes sense in context as a Feruchemical power, or something similar.

It might have been an offhand remark about Hoid. Isn't there a WOB that says that he uses Feruchemy to be in important places? It has been theorized that he's using Fortune (Luck) to be at the right place at the right time for his shenanigans. They mention this basically saying not every thing that goes bump in the Cognitive realm is the Boogyman Hoid.

While I agree mostly with "Fortune isnt a Shard." I do have to make an argument against it.

Exactly as Nokomis just stated above, Fortune is more than just pure luck an happenstance. Especially in a universe where "thought creates fact" and we have physical examples of Sentient Thought > Cognitive Acceptance > Cognitive Aspects > New Sentience > True Physical Fact.

I still say Fortune is not a Shard.
But I, for one, think bearing has a lot more influence in the cosmere than many give it credit for. 
"I think, therefore I am." seems to perfectly describe Shardic Intent (and vice-versa) 

Not really Spoiler Bands of Mourning:

Also kinda backs up Steris' mentality. Her "woe unto me" compounds upon itself.

If Fortune is a Feruchemical Spiritual aspect, along the lines of Identity, Investiture, and Connection, it definitely has more power (and potential) than simple luck.

Edited by Zmann966

Some say that you make your own fortunes in life. It could perhaps be a trait.

What you're talking about would probably be better named Determination, however. That's the thing, for every Shard intent I can think of that Fortune could represent, there are much better synonyms that would make a better Shard name. I'm pretty sure they were either talking about the Feruchemical attribute, or a similar effect in a different magic system.

They might not have been on Scadrial but think they were talking Fortune Feruchemy 

but i also thought Trell was Autonomy so what the hell do i know :P ... 

Senna seems more of an unrequited love, he didn't strike me as much of a ladies man...

But seriously i think maybe Senna was something tied to a religious figure from before the Shattering of Adonalsium.

Most of Brandons in world cursing is tied to figures in religion.