[Secret History Spoilers] the ire...

Sirscott13

My assumption is that the reason the IRE are worried about Threnodites is because that's where the majority of the Shades come from. I'm thinking that they may be a concern for anyone travelling in the Cognitive Realm. Apparently, Shades from other planets are so rare they don't even think of the possibility that the intruder the guard saw could be a Shade from anywhere else.

My assumption is that the reason the IRE are worried about Threnodites is because that's where the majority of the Shades come from. I'm thinking that they may be a concern for anyone travelling in the Cognitive Realm. Apparently, Shades from other planets are so rare they don't even think of the possibility that the intruder the guard saw could be a Shade from anywhere else.

I concur with you here. The implication that I got from this along with SFS and a couple of WoBs on the shades is as bad the damage they can do to you in the Physical realm they are significantly worse in the Cognitive realm. I am currently looking for the WoB I am referring to and will post them when I can but it is a bit tough from my mobile...

Edited by Iron Eyes

I wonder if it's possible that Threnody is in the same solar system as Scadrial? The fact that the Ire is worried about Threnodite shades while they are near Scadrial seems to indicate that Scadrial and Threnody are close to each other, at least in the cognitive realm. The importance of Silver (a metal) to the Thredonite society is another connection. Do we have WoB on the Scadrian Solar system?

I wonder if it's possible that Threnody is in the same solar system as Scadrial? The fact that the Ire is worried about Threnodite shades while they are near Scadrial seems to indicate that Scadrial and Threnody are close to each other, at least in the cognitive realm. The importance of Silver (a metal) to the Thredonite society is another connection. Do we have WoB on the Scadrian Solar system?

We do indeed, however, it does not directly answer the question. Keep in mind from the Galactic view the Cosmere is relatively small. But, I think your guess is a good one.

Relevant WoB:

Interview: Mar 12th, 2015 Windrunner17 (Reddit)

Hey Brandon!

I'd like to open by thanking you for changing the method of Szeth's death. When I read it the first time, Kaladin's actions in that moment didn't ring quite true for how I saw the character. I'm glad Kal does what he does in the revisions.

I have three questions, if you wouldn't mind. I'm trying to avoid the obvious RAFO's xD

1. Threnody and Scadrial are both noted as having unusually bright patches of stars in their skies. Are these two planets near to one another?

Brandon Sanderson (Reddit)

1. They are both seeing the same thing, yes.

Edited by Iron Eyes

He said that? That Allomancers can operate on other planets?

We've seen that happen, actually.

Stormlight Spoilers:

Hoid dumps something into his own drink during one of Shallan's flashbacks, and soon after corners Shallan, who has a suspiciously mild response to being alone with a rambling weirdo who asks her about things she's scared of.

We do indeed, however, it does not directly answer the question. Keep in mind from the Galactic view the Cosmere is relatively small. But, I think your guess is a good one.

Relevant WoB:

Yes, but that bright patch is also visible from Roshar. It's theorized as just a nebula or swath of densley-packed stars... But no true explanation yet.

Stormlight Spoilers:

Hoid dumps something into his own drink during one of Shallan's flashbacks, and soon after corners Shallan, who has a suspiciously mild response to being alone with a rambling weirdo who asks her about things she's scared of.

Exactly. We're just not sure if Wit's metal was FROM Scadrial, or was picked up on Roshar to fuel his Allomancy.

I wouldn't be surprised if Scadrial and threnody are in the same system. Brandon originally wrote mistborn as silver and pewter being pared before someone told him it's supposed to be tin. He really liked the idea of silvereyes. Wouldn't be surprised if he recycled silver in threnody as the method for fighting shades.

but at the same time, threnody seems to maybe be related to the shard that just wants to survive. So it could be in an entirely different system.

It could be possible that shades are different than what kelsier became. I mean the Ire device didn't work on him, and he didn't react to fire or blood the same as a shade. I think kelsier became something new, but relatable to a shade. I bet shades are cognitive beings, but without the soul attached still. Maybe as a result of the cognitive realm reacting differently on threnody. I mean Shardsmar and where Kelsier is are similar, but also pretty different. I mean Shardsmar is full of Soren and things are represented as little beads, where as on Scadrial there are no Spren and things are represented as mist instead. The cognitive realms are probably different on every planet.

Stormlight Spoilers:

To be honest, when i read this, it never occured to me that it might be a result of emotional allomancy. Seems kind of obvious when you put it like that now, especially after we saw Hoid stealing the Lerasium piece at SH.

Edited by Maya

I concur with you here. The implication that I got from this along with SFS and a couple of WoBs on the shades is as bad the damage they can do to you in the Physical realm they are significantly worse in the Cognitive realm. I am currently looking for the WoB I am referring to and will post them when I can but it is a bit tough from my mobile...

I am with both of you on this one. Threnodian Shades are dangerous, *and* there are a lot of them, because unlike other places, on Threnody they linger in the Cognitive Realm.

A good question to Brandon is whether this is due to natural way Investiture works on Threnody, or whether this is an influence of a passing Shard (Odium? Someone else?).  

To be honest, when i read this, it never occured to me that it might be a result of emotional allomancy. Seems kind of obvious when you put it like that now, especially after we saw Hoid stealing the Lerasium piece at SH.

Theoretically it is NOT impossible that Hoid carries metallic dust from Scadrial, but in practice, I think it is a safe assumption that he is using local metals. 

Yeah, I used to get Silence Divine and Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell confused all the time. 

Especially since the chick's name is Silence.

And then Sixth of the Dusk is in the Shadows Beneath anthology. Brandon sure doesn't make it easy for us...

Theoretically it is NOT impossible that Hoid carries metallic dust from Scadrial, but in practice, I think it is a safe assumption that he is using local metals.

Logistics-wise it might make more sense if he got that powder from Scadrial, though. Especially if he wanted to keep a low profile when not in costume as Wit. Asking a blacksmith to grind up some metal is conspicuously odd, as is hiring a Soulcaster, but I suppose he could always steal one.

Logistics-wise it might make more sense if he got that powder from Scadrial, though. Especially if he wanted to keep a low profile when not in costume as Wit. Asking a blacksmith to grind up some metal is conspicuously odd, as is hiring a Soulcaster, but I suppose he could always steal one.

Actually I think metal would be more of a rarity on Roshar unless it was soulcast. But I think Hoid has metals from Scadrial.

Actually I think metal would be more of a rarity on Roshar unless it was soulcast. But I think Hoid has metals from Scadrial.

Shin have a thing about metal made out of ore, so *this* is why they only want Soulcast metal. I actually think that metal is not that rare on Roshar - after all it has mountains and gems - there must be plenty of ore there - remember Talanel's mantra about what each Herald will teach the good people of Roshar....

I, for one, think it is easier for Hoid to apply a file to a chunk of brass or zinc, than to have to travel to Scadrial to get it.

Also, Soulcast metal may actually be a good choice (especially the alloys) because purity.

Yes, but that bright patch is also visible from Roshar. It's theorized as just a nebula or swath of densley-packed stars... But no true explanation yet.

Exactly. We're just not sure if Wit's metal was FROM Scadrial, or was picked up on Roshar to fuel his Allomancy.

I thought we were not supposed to know if Hoid used the Lerasium bead as of yet? Don't remember if it is a WoB I read or just a post here or something but isn't it believed that the letter refers to him keeping the bead safe (ie not using it)?

I thought we were not supposed to know if Hoid used the Lerasium bead as of yet? Don't remember if it is a WoB I read or just a post here or something but isn't it believed that the letter refers to him keeping the bead safe (ie not using it)?

Hoid and the lerasium bead is in the annotations for Well of Ascension, I think.  He may have told us before then, but I don't recall whether he did.  

Yeah, I used to get Silence Divine and Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell confused all the time. 

Especially since the chick's name is Silence.

And then Sixth of the Dusk is in the Shadows Beneath anthology. Brandon sure doesn't make it easy for us...

Brandon is way too fond of names that begin with S!