[Secret History Spoilers] the ire...

Sirscott13

Maybe this isn't really relevant, but to say they were all (somewhat obviously) Elantrians, none of them used any form of AonDor insofar as drawing symbols at all, even when they thought "ruin" was after them.  Now of course it might just be they didn't think it would be any use against a shard itself, but you'd think at least one of them would try it if they were capable.  So for one reason or another I'd say they they weren't able to use them.

Well Kelsier couldn't use allomancy either so I agree they may not be able to use AonDor in the cognitive realm. This would also point to them having been there for a long time because they didn't do so reflexively by accident.

That does make me wonder why they would need to drink that liquid if not to give them access to AonDor. Is it to remain in the cognitive realm?

Also, AonDor is region-locked. The Cognitive realm probably doesn't count as part of Sel for the purpose, let alone part of Arelon.

This.

The farther (and further, I'd guess) you are from Elantris and Arelon, the weaker Aon Dor works.

Forgery and Dhakor have the same fall-off, though Dhakor suffers less-so than the other two.

(It is due to the nature of Dominion. The Shard's intent functions as "control" both over people and over a physical area. I imagine "Connection" has some root in it, but you certainly don't need to be near Nalthis for Breath to work, nor Scadrial for Allomancy.)

Edited by Zmann966

He tried to burn a bolt from Nazh's stool, with no luck. So it appears he can't use Allomancy.

I'm not sure whether it would make a difference in the Cognitive realm, but it is unlikely that Nazh's stool was made in Scadrial, so its metal may not be invested Allomantically like Kel needs.

I agree with you The Ja. Remember the newspaper story about the ghastly gondola? The person describes wiping the metals as wiping away the power of the metals, but not actually wiping away the metals themselves. The metal isn't the source of the power, but rather the metals are invested because of ruin and preservations influence on the world.

I . . . am pretty sure Scadrial's metal isn't invested at all, period.

In one sense, no, in that metal from any planet with the right chemical makeup would serve as the right key for any of the Metallic Arts. In another sense, though, they are, because Ruin and Preservation worked together to mold Scadrial to their liking, and left bits of themselves in everything. It's how Ruin was able to do his Orwellian edit thing. And of course the God metals are invested out the wazoo.

I . . . am pretty sure Scadrial's metal isn't invested at all, period.

I would disagree.  Scadrial metal glows very brightly to Kelsier and Vin and Ruin/Preservation.  Metals from other places, like Nazh's knife, don't glow, due to their non-Scadrial origin.

I would disagree.  Scadrial metal glows very brightly to Kelsier and Vin and Ruin/Preservation.  Metals from other places, like Nazh's knife, don't glow, due to their non-Scadrial origin.

I took that to signify that Nazh's knife was aluminum. Which, for a knowledgeable worldhopper travelling to Scadrial, would be smart.

But I see that it's flawed thinking, even Allomantically-inert metal would glow in the Cognitive Realm. Hmm, makes ya wonder. Perhaps it is a Scadrian metal vs. others... Though I want to say that it shouldn't matter. The investiture is within the Scadrian people, not the metal. The metal's atomic structure is simply the "key" to unlock it, similar to the Elantrian's writing. True composited alloys from anywhere should be burn-able by an Allomancer.

I'm inclined to side with the "local Scadrial metal only" theory. It does make sense on different worlds with different shards, the power to find it's own specific way to infuse the life there - Roshar has it's stormlight, AonDor is definitely local occurance on Sel, Naltis has the breath (and these rare flowers, I forgot the name) so it seems only natural on Scadrial to be the metals.

I'm inclined to side with the "local Scadrial metal only" theory. It does make sense on different worlds with different shards, the power to find it's own specific way to infuse the life there - Roshar has it's stormlight, AonDor is definitely local occurance on Sel, Naltis has the breath (and these rare flowers, I forgot the name) so it seems only natural on Scadrial to be the metals.

Sel's magical feature of note is just the "Dor", AonDor being one means of accessing it.  Nalthis' flowers are the "Tears of Edgli."  

It's probably just like a filter, everything in the Physical Realm as seen from Scadrial's Cognitive Realm is either misty or glowing.  When something's in the Cognitive Realm, like souls and bodies such as Drifter's, Nazh's, and Khriss', they're neither misty nor glowing.  I don't believe there's anything significant, cosmerically, about Scadrian-mined and forged metal.  Except of course for atium, lerasium, and harmonium, but that's beside the point.   

Metal glows in the cognitive realm of Scadrial, and so do people. They're both invested, just like ruin couldn't manipulate or destroy people directly, he couldn't see or influence metal. They are described by kelsier as being the same thing, but really they are just heavily invested.

He said that? That Allomancer can operate on other planets?

Then i guess Landis might be right up there and the local aspect is limited only to those power infused metals like Lerasium and thus the people (or their descendants) whose "spiritual and genetic codes" are imprinted by it.

Edited by Maya

A thought to the Shades/Cognitive Shadows:

These are the deads who don't go on to the Beyond, right?

Kelsier didn't want to go on and is stuck in the cognitive realm, this was his decision. But even he has had problems not to be pulled to the next realm.

How about the ones who aren't able to go on?

The victims of Hemalurgy or - perhaps, because the Elantrians know about Threnody - the people on Sel who were used as "fuel".

Threnody not as a graveyard, more a limbo for damaged souls following hemalurgic experimentations?

Seemed pretty intuitive to me the Elantrians were too far from their power source for too long, thus becoming zombElantrians. They drink their Dor draughts to stave off the worst of it (heal injuries, invigorate, stay sane).

It's also important to note there's no way the globe of liquid Connection is the same thing as their draughts. As in, laws of storytelling say seriously, not possible. It probably has some of the same stuff, but it's a wholly different end product.

Edited by Pechvarry

2) The Invested Drink would need refills. I'm guessing that it is from Sel itself. We have had confirmation that the potions used to fake the Reod are another form of Selish magic. Therefore the Elantrians can keep full of Dorish Investiture to survive.

Please see the WOB for this here.