[Bands Spoilers] The Lost Metal

MistWit

But if ettmetal is harmonium then I do not understand why Harmony let the southerners freeze for like 10 years.

I don't know. But I have a theory.

I have a vague recollection of a WoB stating that Atium would be coming back.  Unfortunately, I can't remember where or when that WoB might have been made.  If my recollection is correct, then it's worth noting that when Kelsier destroyed the Pits of Hathsin, it was stated that his actions basically meant no more Atium for a few centuries.  And the current books take place a few centuries after the Pits were destroyed.

This is all I could find on the matter:

DOUGLAS

When Kelsier destroys the Pits of Hathsin in Final Empire, it is mentioned that they'll take something like 300 years to start producing Atium again. Do the Pits of Hathsin still exist in any form after Sazed reshaped the world, and is that timeline for them still valid?

BRANDON SANDERSON

RAFO

DOUGLAS

In Alloy of Law, evidence is uncovered that the bad guys are attempting to breed a Mistborn. The time span of the gap between this and the original Mistborn trilogy, perhaps with the interval I vaguely remember being stated for between Alloy and the next main trilogy added, is suspiciously close to 300 years. Does the organization Wax's father is part of know the location of the Pits of Hathsin, or otherwise have access to Atium, either now (as of Alloy) or in the time period of the planned second trilogy?

BRANDON SANDERSON

You are on the right track

This might be somewhat of a tangent but are we sure that there are only sixteen (16) base metals? I know that with the "God-Metal" alloys we can go beyond sixteen but do we have WoB that there are, for sure, only sixteen base metals?

Yes Brandon has said there are only 16 base metals. I don't have an exact quote.

I'm probably overthinking things but my guess would be that the lost metal is Lerasium. Mostly I'm relying on the reference to Atium by that name being a misdirect, and the idea that Lerasium would be an even bigger game changer since it can make anyone a full blown Mistborn, something unseen in centuries. And I don't believe we've gotten WoB on Lerasium, plus it'd arguably fit the title better as not just being lost physically, but likely lost to history. 

But again, I'm probably overthinking it.

So Sanderson said this in a chat. This would seem to suggest that  Atium is the lost metal referred to in the title.

INTERVIEW: Sep, 2012 DOUGLAS
In Alloy of Law, evidence is uncovered that the bad guys are attempting to breed a Mistborn. The time span of the gap between this and the original Mistborn trilogy, perhaps with the interval I vaguely remember being stated for between Alloy and the next main trilogy added, is suspiciously close to 300 years. Does the organization Wax's father is part of know the location of the Pits of Hathsin, or otherwise have access to Atium, either now (as of Alloy) or in the time period of the planned second trilogy?
BRANDON SANDERSON
You are on the right track
TAGS

• 3 weeks later...

@mjk: You're amazing, thank you for that post.

Regarding the reappearance of Atium, I'm surprised no one has quoted this yet:

Interview: Oct, 2008
Hero of Ages Q&A - TWG (Verbatim)

zchance (15 October 2008)
I'm surprised no one else has asked but does this new world have atium? If atium was the body of Ruin then it would seem when Sazed took up Ruin's power he would have reabsorbed all of the atium. New atium then would be bits of Sazed's new powers and weaken him with each newly formed bead. It would seem then that if atium exists it would be much rarer, and mean that Sazed would not be able to control this process.

I guess I am trying to understand why he would want to allow any atium to make its way into the hands of people or rather out of his control?

Brandon Sanderson (16 October 2008)
It's theoretically possible for atium to appear in the future, but right now Sazed has no plans to release any of it to the people. It is, effectively, now something of myth and legend.

Source: http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt=%27sazed%27(Number 9)

Also, this:

Interview: Oct, 2008
Hero of Ages Q&A - TWG (Verbatim)

Dalenthas (15 October 2008)
Does the Well of Ascension still exist in the new world? Or is it no longer necessary? I assumed that Preservation collected there like Ruin collects in the Pits of Hathsin, so if Atium keeps forming then the well should keep filling...

Brandon Sanderson (16 October 2008)
The Well (and the small wells in the Pits) is no more. For now at least.

I think these indicate that Atium isn't just going to spring up without Sazed directly intervening, regardless of the timeline Kelsier gives.

EDIT: Man I hate the quoting mechanics on this site. I'm constantly wrestling with the ways they randomly screw up.
EDIT 2: Fixed it.
Edited by Kadrok

i was at austin sgining on thursday and some1 else asked and brandon said ettmetal is called the lost metal

So does this confirm it then that it is the Lost Metal?

You may want to post this in the Events Forum relevant Austin signing thread, so it can be corroborated by whoever is transcribing the audio for the exact wording by Brandon.

i was at austin sgining on thursday and some1 else asked and brandon said ettmetal is called the lost metal

This would seem to add to a theory I've had running in my head for a little while, that Malatium isn't actually the 11th Metal as Kelsier thought (and the Ars Arcanum, which is conceivably wrong since it's an in-world book).  Since Malatium is an alloy of Atium, I never thought it made sense at all in the grid of Allomantic metals, so whatever Ettmetal really is, I wonder if it should take Malatium's place in the charts.

jW

@mjk: You're amazing, thank you for that post.

Regarding the reappearance of Atium, I'm surprised no one has quoted this yet:

Source: http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt=%27sazed%27(Number 9)

Also, this:

Source: http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt=%27atium%27(Number 17)

I think these indicate that Atium isn't just going to spring up without Sazed directly intervening, regardless of the timeline Kelsier gives.

EDIT: Man I hate the quoting mechanics on this site. I'm constantly wrestling with the ways they randomly screw up.

EDIT 2: Fixed it.

To me, these quotes somewhat worryingly imply that the 2 Shards of Harmony may not stay together with one holder forever. I fear for Sazed, though I struggle to see what other than another Shard (or a very cunning plan, or Sazed struggling to permanently reconcile the two clashing Intents) can pose any real risk to a Doubleshard

• Chaos locked this topic