[Bands/Secret History Spoilers] Cosmeric Confirmations

Trickonometry

Let me begin with what I think is an appropriate opening to a conversation about the new books:

HOLY CRAP AHHHHHHH THAT WAS AMAZING AND WHAT???? ANOTHER WHOLE NOVELLA THAT HAS TO SO WITH KELSIER AND THE COSMERE????? Best. Day. EVER.

Whew. I feel better.

Now for the point of this post. I want to talk about theories that have been either confirmed true or untrue by the new books.

It is entirely possible that the following two confirmations I'm about to describe have been confirmed by Word of Brandon before the books, but I was made very excited by the very last part of the Ars Arcanum:

“On Scadrial, someone with one Allomantic power and one Feruchemical power is called “Twinborn.” The effects here are more subtle than they are when mixing Surges on Roshar, but I am convinced that each unique combination also creates something distinctive. Not just two powers, you could say, but two powers … and an effect. This demands further study.”

Excerpt From: Sanderson, Brandon. “The Bands of Mourning.” Tom Doherty Associates. iBooks.

This material may be protected by copyright.

1) Twinborn DO gain unique powers, regardless of compounding.

2) The combining of surges on Roshar create distinctly different powers.

Now, we've expected and theorized both for a while, but having it stated explicitly is... comforting. Also, it allows for further discussion of what different combinations are what they say about the core of their powers. I'm happy for this thread to discuss both Cosmeric confirmations as well as their implications!

Cosmere Spoiler

Even more interesting, if combining two magic types gives you unique abilities and powers, just imagine what Hoid has going for him. 

I put this in spoiler tags to be safe, but is there really anyone on the forums who doesn't know about Hoid :P

We actually had the same piece of information in the Shadows of Self AA. There are some theories floating around about what Wax's and Wayne's "perks" could be, and obviously we had some about the characters from The Stormlight Archive.

Is this some special effect, or just a nifty combination, like the crasher combination, or the Feruchemical gold-Allomantic bendalloy combo that Wayne has, where he can bubble and heal?

Some different effect that comes from the mix of the two abilities.  Wax says something about it in SoS too.

That actually is something I've wondered about. We know that the "steel push bubble" isn't something everyone does, but Wax can. And obviously he's very good at flying by because of his ability to change mass mid-air (that's what we've determined, correct?). So, what's Wayne's specialty? Besides being an expert impersonator and a top-notch-Marasi-bother?

That actually is something I've wondered about. We know that the "steel push bubble" isn't something everyone does, but Wax can. And obviously he's very good at flying by because of his ability to change mass mid-air (that's what we've determined, correct?). So, what's Wayne's specialty? Besides being an expert impersonator and a top-notch-Marasi-bother?

Wax's steel bubble was, I think, confirmed to be something that comes from him being an Allomantic steel savant. Wayne's ability to impersonate people was also confirmed to be mundane in nature, I think. 

• Chaos locked this topic