Does anyone else love Sterris now? [Bands Spoilers]

mattig89ch

Shall we take bets on whether or not she has some unknown allomatic power?

My money is on latent metal powers. Something that will manifest in the next generation.  If [when] Steris succeeds in the project she was studying for so ardently on the train, :wub:  we may get to see how and when powers are manifested or tested for in this era

(and hopefully it does not involve intense emotional and or physical trauma).

House Ladrian has two noble founding ancestors, both strong allomancers, so they're also far from weak in bloodline. Plus apparently Wax/Asinthew has relatively pure Terris blood as well.

Come to think of it this marriage is pretty much a recipe for metalborn children. Better chance of twinborn than most others too. Do we actually know of another twinborn noble?

• 3 weeks later...

She definately gets some love from me. In Alloy of Law she didn't do or say pretty much anything with the exception of the marriage contract scene, but in Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning she gets more to do and to say and is overall quite funny character.

Shall we take bets on whether or not she has some unknown allomatic power?

I actually hope she doesn't. She's a brilliant women and amazing character without it. When you think that the rest of Wax's 'Scooby-gang' consists of two twinborn, one allomancer and a kandra, I like that there's someone 'normal' out there, being thoroughly awesome alongside them all.

Hidy ho all,

I'm not done with the book yet, I picked it up yesterday, and am up to chapter 12 in the audible version so far.

But I have to say, I love Steris in this novel now.  In Shadows of self, she was starting to get out of her shell, but you really start seeing her come into her own here.

Does anyone else love Steris now?  Or am I the only one?

I have to say, In the beginning I never saw the need to add Steris as a character. But now she has started participating in all the activity that Wax and others are doing. She has changed a lot. At least in my perspective. 

I have to say, In the beginning I never saw the need to add Steris as a character. But now she has started participating in all the activity that Wax and others are doing. She has changed a lot. At least in my perspective. 

My take is that she hasn't changed - she's still the same list obsessed, socially awkward person she was in Alloy of Law. What has changed is the position she's been placed in by Sanderson - much more front and centre of the action alongside the other main characters. As a result, the way the other characters perceive her has changed (and so, we as readers perceive this difference too). Most of them (Wax and Marasai in particular) have come to respect the characteristics which previously annoyed them - they have a much more holistic picture of her. Wayne still doesn't get her and I don't know if he ever will - they're so different but, even he (by the end of the novel with a bit of a push from Wax) seems a little less aggressively anatagonistic towards her.

My take is that she hasn't changed - she's still the same list obsessed, socially awkward person she was in Alloy of Law. What has changed is the position she's been placed in by Sanderson - much more front and centre of the action alongside the other main characters. As a result, the way the other characters perceive her has changed (and so, we as readers perceive this difference too). Most of them (Wax and Marasi in particular) have come to respect the characteristics which previously annoyed them - they have a much more holistic picture of her. Wayne still doesn't get her and I don't know if he ever will - they're so different but, even he (by the end of the novel with a bit of a push from Wax) seems a little less aggressively antagonistic towards her.

She's definitely learned to channel those tendencies into more useful actions, even if the core of "compulsive preparation bordering on paranoia" hasn't changed.  Furthermore, she's working with Wax rather than against him- compare the Yomen-Ostlin wedding in AoL to the New Seran soiree in BoM.  

Edited by Landis963

Weird idea: Steris is very unlucky, or at least, she thinks she is. All of her lists can't just come out of nowhere. Is is possible that she is a Fortune Ferring, and somehow stored all of her luck somewhere as a baby, but doesn't know it? Kind of like Vin getting bronze hemalurgy that affected her powers a lot, but not knowing it?

Is she unlucky though?  She's in love with Wax, he's in love with her.  She's loosened up enough to go on adventures (though she does have some neruoces).  She might start learning how to use a gun, just to be more useful on their adventures.

Where is her lack of luck?

On the subject, whatever happened to the part of their marriage agreement where infidelity was contractually allowed?

They have something more important than the marriage agreement now?  After all, they never did finish the "official" ceremony.  Surely the private one is more binding?

I don't think Steris is capable of any of that sort of thing. Remember how she told Wax that she interviewed prostitutes? On chapter 5 (page 104 of the hardback), she says that she isn't sure she will be able to provide an heir, and that she interviewed some prostitutes on how, but they wouldn't tell her. If she has to interview people, then she clearly won't be doing it on her own. As for Wax, that just doesn't really seem like his style. Wayne, sure. But not Wax.

Back to the luck thing, there is not much hard evidence, but she is always saying that she makes lists because if something terrible happens to her, at least she tried. I don't think that she would have this idea if she wasn't unlucky. Also a giant water tower crashed on her wedding.

So I have anxiety and find it easy to feel overwhelmed at times. Most of my early life was avoiding responsibility because of this. Then I got help and got better with dealing with it. A by product of that is scheduling everything I do. Now I do not mean rigidly. I do not have a break down if plans change. But by scheduling, I do not forget what I need to do, I know i have time to do it so I don't worry, and if things change, I know I have other options to move that change to. It helps me so if something unforeseen happens, I can check my calendar and see it is ok. I do not have to stress about finding other options, will those options work out, and if there will be any issues with those other options. They are all there already, and can be selected or cast off as needed. Ironically I feel by scheduling my day, I give myself more flexibility. That is what I feel Steris does. 

• 2 weeks later...

From about mid way through Shadows of Self I've been thinking that Steris needs a god damnation hug.  The scenes between her and Wax are some of the most touching for me, you can tell she cares and you can tell she struggles to show it and by Harmony she's a wonderful person.

From about mid way through Shadows of Self I've been thinking that Steris needs a god damnation hug.  The scenes between her and Wax are some of the most touching for me, you can tell she cares and you can tell she struggles to show it and by Harmony she's a wonderful person.

Everyone in Shadows of Self needs a god damnation hug.  Everyone.  Except perhaps Lord Harms, because he's kind of an oblivious twit.   

Honestly, with regards to the idea of Steris having an Allomantic ability, I'd rather see her conscripted into the nicrosil and aluminum Ferring research.  If she can't come up with test cases and theories, I don't know who could do better.

(PS - She should totally be an Aluminum Gnat, because for some reason I keep picturing her coming up with lists that would actually make it useful.)

Edited by dvoraen

• Chaos locked this topic