Does anyone else love Sterris now? [Bands Spoilers]

mattig89ch

Who is peggy carter?

Character from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  Captain America's first love interest, played by Hayley Atwell.  She has her own TV series now, recently entering its second season.  Possessed of brains, punching prowess, and at least one wonderful red hat.  

And yes, props to Brandon for building her up this way. I am late to this particular conversation, but from the very first chapters it was clear that she is going to be great in BoM.  There are two very tell-tale moments in SoS and BoM: at the end of BoM, when, of all people, *she* is there for Wax, and second, in the train, when it dawns on Wax just how big of a jerk he is for saying "Oh, we'll not be having sex too much anyway".

It's a subtle distinction, but what Wax actually says is (paraphrasing) "We don't need to have sex too much anyway."  He just assumes that Steris is only interested in sex because of the wifely duty to provide an offspring.  It provides an insight into Wax because it shows that he's still at least partially operating under the assumption that there isn't much real affection toward him on her part, and that she's primarily in it because she doesn't want to end up an old maid.

Fortunately, by the end of the book he knows differently.

I was okay with Steris by AoL (I actually enjoyed this hilarious theory about Ranette and Steris, please don't ask) but I definitely got on board the fan-train by SoS, thankfull! ;)

To be honest, I'm still a little confused by Steris but I'm really appreciating how hard she's trying to make the marriage work, in a way. (As previously mentioned, trying to strap a shotgun to her thigh in case Wax needed it, lol!) I honestly wondered for a while if she was possibly some form of functioning psychopath, except that it seems more to me that she's not very emotionally savvy/people savvy, per se.

Awesome Things About Steris:

-"If it goes wrong, at least I'll have tried." You realise that Steris + Wax = Batman? (Considering how crazy-prepared is Batman's motto...)
-I feel that she and Wax challenge each other, in a way. She challenges Wax to move past his instinctive dislikes of finance or politics while Wax gets her to try not caring about what people think about her.

-Cod liver oil + metals. Enough said. (Also, carrying extra flasks for Wax? Winning.)

-The safest place is near Wax, lol. She's not wrong...

^ These are the first that come to mind. And I'll admit I was all along really interested in the Wax/Steris pairing (since AoL) because I was hoping we'd come to see them grow to like each other (a slow-burn, if you will). I especially approved of Marasi moving on, because that's really hard to see in fantasy, IMO: you often have people pining about what might have been, and it's perfectly awesome and healthy to see them just decide to move on with their lives.

I honestly wondered for a while if she was possibly some form of functioning psychopath, except that it seems more to me that she's not very emotionally savvy/people savvy, per se.

That is... strange. I've found nothing in her personality that pointed that way.

I myself always thought she had some combination of OCD, anxiety issues and autism.

Perhaps identifying psychologivmcal conditions where others would see "crazyness" is what made it easy for me to sympathise with her from the start, despite hating excessive planing in general. I have very light autism, and more often than not like characters who feel misplaced no matter where they go.

Edited by DreamEternal

I thought she was kind of awkward in AoL, but then she was excellent in SoS and BoM. I feel kind of like I had the same experience falling in love with her character as Wax - from "who is this strange woman I don't understand her" to "OMG YOURE ADORABLE". I'm not sure if it was planned that way, but very cool.

Very well said, and I agree completely...delightful post.  ;)

She's a nice character, and fun to read, but there is one thing preventing me from liking her too much: she's too alike my mother.

Don't get me wrong, I love my mother, but she's the kind of paranoid person who will start thinking of everything going wrong and trying to make plans for it. except, in the real world those things never happen, and it's quite annoying when she insist that people go look for some obscure documents buried in a drawer somewhere and photocopy them "just in case at the office they ask" (when there is nothing written about them in the instructions) or when I'm going out and she hold me to go through a rehearsal of what to do in case of robbery, accident, or whatever.

It's good to be prepared, but past a certain limit, it becomes actually more costly to prepare for everything than to just deal with an emergency in the small chance it actuallly happens. For example, it takes less time to go back home and find some obscure document the one timme they ask for it, than to spend hours looking for documents you won't need every time you need to go to an office.

Basically, steris works because she's close to wax, so the unlikely does actually keep happening near her. She aslo has enough money and free time to do her preparations.

I love Steris.

When I first met Steris, she seemed like an uptight, controlling, political-influence-version-of-a-golddigger. When they went to the wedding party, it seemed as if she would make an awful shrew of a wife to Wax, and would do nothing but nag him and tie him down.

And I think she actually would have been, if she hadn't been kidnapped.

I'm pretty sure, with all of her planning and lists, she NEVER ONCE thought to find herself in that situation. And to have her betrothed, someone she was already resigned and committed to performing her "wifely duties" for, come to save her in spectacularly dashing fashion, well... she fell in love. (You can practically pinpoint the moment where this happens)

And ever since that moment, she'd become fully invested on being the best wife to Wax she could be. Obviously this included showing an interest in his hobbies... and some sensitive research... ;)

Edited by NovaSeeker

I dont know. I dont like what her character brings to the story but i think that she was a better comic relief in this book than wayne. Getting her own narrative was hilarious. But besides that her chemistry does get better and now thats shes a full character i would want brandon to use that but it will be very hard to. I think i preferred when she was a side character.

Shall we take bets on whether or not she has some unknown allomatic power?

Is there any chance that she is a Atium misting?

Not sure how common Atium these days. Is it all gone?

But it seems like it would fit her planning personality.

Anyway I hope she doesn't have powers. It's nice to have a normal hero for a change, and yes I do think Staris is one of the heroes. 

I started getting really fond of Steris in book 2, and this just cemented it. It's really interesting how Sanderson gradually expanded on a character who at first seemed to be a stock stuffy society lady, only for it to gradually be revealed a much more delicate and intelligient person underneath that initial impression.

Hidy ho all,

I'm not done with the book yet, I picked it up yesterday, and am up to chapter 12 in the audible version so far.

But I have to say, I love Steris in this novel now.  In Shadows of self, she was starting to get out of her shell, but you really start seeing her come into her own here.

Does anyone else love Steris now?  Or am I the only one?

Oh yes.  I started to start feeling for her at the end of 'Alloy of Law', then even more so in 'Shadows of Self' when she suggested to Wax they make a more interesting entrance during that party.  At the end of that book was when I truly fell in love with her though when instead of trying to talk to Wax, trying to tell him everything was going to be okay, she was just there for him and let him mourn.  Not only that, but that super meticulous nature really grew on me over the first two books and she really does start to feel truly delightful.  

In 'Bands of Mourning' she really does come into her own though and her parts in the book were truly incredible.  She truly thinks of just about every possible eventuality and plans accordingly.  It might have seemed so simple but putting that medallion in her notebook was really pivotal to the outcome of the book.  

I am really glad that Brandon didn't go the way other writers likely would have and had Wax hook up with Marasi who initially seemed like she was the better match.  But she's not, she's really not. 

Steris is so much more than a seven in that usefulness scale of her's.  So much more.  

Love Steris now? She's been pure gold since her first appearance.  Going back five and a half years:

I like Steris too. It looks to me like her and Marasi are both potential kidnapping targets.

She's just so hardworking when it comes to her responsibilities, and so far they don't seem to have given her any joy. I would feel bad for her if she goes the whole book without getting to have any fun. Plus, I don't think Brandon has pulled a romantic interest switcheroo on us yet in any of his books. Let Marasi end up with Wayne, he seems like he could deal with her fangirling better than Wax.

I didn't notice the Wax and Wayne thing either...

So obviously the Marasi/Wayne thing didn't happen, but Marasi has at least grown up a lot since the first few chapters of AoL.  I'm happy with both those things.

But I'm much happier that Wax and Steris are finally married.  I still want Steris to punch Wayne in the face at some point for his dickishness to her in the past.  Steris did finally get several chances to have fun in BoM, and was very cute about it in the process.

I loved Steris ever since the marriage contract. Mostly because her attention to detail and obsession with lists reminds me of myself when trying to plan things. Though, she is much more composed then myself when something not the list happens. She has only gotten better with more screen time. I actually like her more then Marasi now, though I also really enjoy the growth Marasi has had as a character from star struck wannabe groupie to being a capable fighter/detective in her own right.

So in book 1, I pretty much thought Steris was a waste of space and was kind of only there to hinder Wax+Marasi. In book 2 Marasa grew distant in m perspective, though Wax may've pushed her away, whatever. Steris grew on me a little but not a lot. Steris's best moment in SoS for me was at the very end where she just let Wax cry. She was just there for him wen he needed, desperately needed support. After boM Steris is literally my favorite character, I think her development from annoying listmaker to badass resourceful listmaker is a little pushed. It just occurs kinda fast, but that doesn't stop me from liking Steris. I like where she blasted herself off of the train by trying to use Wax's Shotgun. And the cod-liver oil in the metal vials

Why is Marasi so sure in AoL that Steris isn't an allomancer?

Probably because Lord Harms is embarrassed that his illegitimate daughter is the one with Allomancy, and almost certainly had Steris tested on every metal just to be absolutely sure.

Probably because Lord Harms is embarrassed that his illegitimate daughter is the one with Allomancy, and almost certainly had Steris tested on every metal just to be absolutely sure.

That reminds me...how would you test someone for feruchemy? Stab them in the arm with bracers until they start storing stuff?

Well, actually, I guess only people with Terris blood would have feruchemy. But still, how do you test those people?

That reminds me...how would you test someone for feruchemy? Stab them in the arm with bracers until they start storing stuff?

Well, actually, I guess only people with Terris blood would have feruchemy. But still, how do you test those people?

Feruchemists feel a natural affinity for their metal(s).  It's pretty much instinctive.