Does anyone else love Sterris now? [Bands Spoilers]

mattig89ch

Hidy ho all,

I'm not done with the book yet, I picked it up yesterday, and am up to chapter 12 in the audible version so far.

But I have to say, I love Steris in this novel now.  In Shadows of self, she was starting to get out of her shell, but you really start seeing her come into her own here.

Does anyone else love Steris now?  Or am I the only one?

Knowing Steris as I do now, I think thats a very nice conversation all in all.

But at the time (in my first reading of alloy of law), she definitely struck me as the last act of a desperate man choice.  And Meresee was the one I would have thought to be the emotionally right choice.

I'm actually kind of glad she was written the way she was.  She definitely grows on you as the series goes on.  At at least she did me.

Edited by mattig89ch

I liked her in AoL, but I honestly thought that Wax was going to end up with Marasi. Mainly because that is how it goes in every romcom ever.  Later, I thought to myself wouldn't it be wonderful if Sanderson broke that pattern and had Wax end up with Steris instead.  To my joy, Sanderson did just that.  I love how prepared and willing to go all out Steris is.  She and Wax each operate in very different spheres and will compliment each other wonderfully.

Edited by Aaron Palmer

Can we talk about how she tried strapping an oversized shotgun to her thigh so she could smuggle it to a fancy party for Wax, and only dropped the idea because she couldn't walk right with it? That's the kind of love I need in my life.

At the expense of being downvoted into the void, I am still not quite sold on Steris and Wax.

That being said, I genuinely enjoyed Steris' development and growth. She has really come into her own and Brandon has found a fantastic way to make her, and her quirks, shine. She had some of the most memorable moments in the book - firing a massive shotgun on top of a moving train at an allomancer and getting thrown off the side, prepping the hotel owner with a full description of many likely and unlikely scenarios, mapping out the usefulness of each member of the team etc etc. I truly enjoyed her character arc in this book.

I was, and still am, pro Wax + Marasi. I have, however, seen the writing on the wall (book) and have accepted that Sanderson has chosen to go a different route.

well, I'm glad those were only minor spoilers.

Even still, it seems someone added the spoiler tag to this thread, and folks are starting to talk about things I haven't come to yet.

So, please keep this thread going.  But I'm out until I get farther in the book.

I am curious as to why. Mind elaborating?

@Jess, I really enjoyed Marasi in AoL and her character has only, in my opinion, gotten better since then. She seemed to click with Wax (and Wayne) during their time fighting against Miles. She has a bold streak in her that demolishes the "damsel in distress" role and, instead, lends her credibility when working with (and/or being with) Wax [shooting the bandits in AoL from the balcony, shooting the Mark's assassin in SoS etc.]. Also, as we see in SoS and BoM she is very forward thinking and accepting of new societal changes and advances and I think she could help balance out Wax as he seems to struggle to accept new things. Furthermore, and finally, her strong detective skills and use of statistics is a great complement to Wax's own detective skills.

Seeing Steris evolve over the last two books has helped make her far more likable and enjoyable as a character but I never quite accepted she was as "good" of a fit for Wax as Marasi despite Brandon's, sometimes heavy-handed, attempts to move us in that direction.

I was, and still am, pro Wax + Marasi. I have, however, seen the writing on the wall (book) and have accepted that Sanderson has chosen to go a different route.

I agree. I still feel like Marasi is the "better fit" if titles and birth were not involved, but I have accepted that Sanderson won't take the story in that direction.

It seems Wax has a thing for ridiculously competent women.

He probably is. Marasi proved competent with guns and deduction, which he admits to himself as being hard to ignore . . .

Meeting Steris however, taught him that there are other amazing things out there people can be competent at. She might be useless in a fight, but Rusts if she was useful for everything else that they ever do.

With that said, getting framed for murder being on the list was just that funny.

Edited by natc