Typos Thread [Bands Spoilers]

Blaze1616

It's not exactly a typo, but in the previous Era 1.5 kindle ebooks the text from the broadsheets was pulled out to a separate section to make them easier to read. Not in Bands, though.

This SHOULD be fixed already. Try this:

See this page for which of your Kindle books have updates available: https://www.amazon.com/mn/dcw/myx.html#/home/content/booksAll/dateDsc/

And this page says how to turn on automatic updates (off by default): http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201252670
Edited by PeterAhlstrom

American Kindle edition:

First, there's an issue with the page numbers; the Part One title page is listed as page 1, and the end of chapter 31 is page 395. The prologue and epilogue, and everything respectively before and after them, don't have page numbers. Also, probably worth noting that for me the page with "Melaann stopped at the simple door" is listed as page 249, not 290.

Prologue, location 275: I think "Waxillium tested the door, and it was unlocked of course" should have a comma before "of course".

I think I found an error in one of the dates. Chapter 6, location 1564, page 74, says 8/7/342 was yesterday, so the current date is either 8/8/342 or 9/7/342 at this point depending on what order the date is written in; this is in the evening while they're on the train to New Seran. In Chapter 10 at location 2354, page 124, Wax sees "FARTHING MANSION HIT" on a broadsheet. This is the next morning, so either 8/9 (the ninth day of the eighth month) or 10/7 (the tenth day of the seventh month). But the broadsheet is the same one that appears in the book (before chapter 6; location 1555, page 72) where it is dated 8th of Cladence. I think either the broadsheet should be dated 9th or 10th, or the date in chapter 6 should be changed.

Chapter 10, location 2476, page 131: I think "Wayne and I in here" should be "Wayne and me in here"? (I'm not sure what case this is in, but "Me in here" sounds better than "I in here" to me.)

Chapter 13, location 3207, page 174: "having sunken a foot or so" should be "having sunk a foot or so"; "sunken" is only an adjective.

Chapter 18, location 4328, page 245: Wax, from the scaffolding, notes that "There are some rooms built into the north side of the structure." But every other mention of rooms has them on the south side, e.g. at location 4177, page 236. ("Eventually, MeLaan and Marasi managed to reach the south wall, which was one of the long sides of the rectangular building. Here, rooms had been built into the structure.") It's possible there are also rooms on the north wall, but I think this might be an error since I would have expected Wax to also notice the rooms on the south wall.

Chapter 22, location 5280, page 302: "that parents are from Wiestlow" should be "that my parents are from Wiestlow", unless this is intentional to indicate Allik's imperfect language skills.

Chapter 28, location 6135, page 356: "a strata" should be "a stratum"

Chapter 30, location 6555, page 381: "Do you deny that this airship was from nation other than your own?" should have "from a nation"

American Kindle edition:

First, there's an issue with the page numbers; the Part One title page is listed as page 1, and the end of chapter 31 is page 395. The prologue and epilogue, and everything respectively before and after them, don't have page numbers. Also, probably worth noting that for me the page with "Melaann stopped at the simple door" is listed as page 249, not 290.

Prologue, location 275: I think "Waxillium tested the door, and it was unlocked of course" should have a comma before "of course".

I think I found an error in one of the dates. Chapter 6, location 1564, page 74, says 8/7/342 was yesterday, so the current date is either 8/8/342 or 9/7/342 at this point depending on what order the date is written in; this is in the evening while they're on the train to New Seran. In Chapter 10 at location 2354, page 124, Wax sees "FARTHING MANSION HIT" on a broadsheet. This is the next morning, so either 8/9 (the ninth day of the eighth month) or 10/7 (the tenth day of the seventh month). But the broadsheet is the same one that appears in the book (before chapter 6; location 1555, page 72) where it is dated 8th of Cladence. I think either the broadsheet should be dated 9th or 10th, or the date in chapter 6 should be changed.

Chapter 10, location 2476, page 131: I think "Wayne and I in here" should be "Wayne and me in here"? (I'm not sure what case this is in, but "Me in here" sounds better than "I in here" to me.)

Chapter 13, location 3207, page 174: "having sunken a foot or so" should be "having sunk a foot or so"; "sunken" is only an adjective.

Chapter 18, location 4328, page 245: Wax, from the scaffolding, notes that "There are some rooms built into the north side of the structure." But every other mention of rooms has them on the south side, e.g. at location 4177, page 236. ("Eventually, MeLaan and Marasi managed to reach the south wall, which was one of the long sides of the rectangular building. Here, rooms had been built into the structure.") It's possible there are also rooms on the north wall, but I think this might be an error since I would have expected Wax to also notice the rooms on the south wall.

Chapter 22, location 5280, page 302: "that parents are from Wiestlow" should be "that my parents are from Wiestlow", unless this is intentional to indicate Allik's imperfect language skills.

Chapter 28, location 6135, page 356: "a strata" should be "a stratum"

Chapter 30, location 6555, page 381: "Do you deny that this airship was from nation other than your own?" should have "from a nation"

Not adding a comma before "of course." And Allik's lines are not changing, but I'll look into the other things. I'll mention the page number issue to Macmillan, but page numbers in ebooks are so arbitrary that it really doesn't matter.

Not really a typo and this might have been an intentional joke, but in the audio version, when the "man in the mask" first tells Wax his name, his last name is Neverfar. He then calls him "tall one." Well, in the Audiobook version, ... Neverfar, tall one... sounds like he says his name is "Never Fart." It made me crack up as I was driving down the road. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly a typo, but I was surprised the UK version went with aluminum and not aluminium. It's kind of disconcerting to keep reading the word "wrong".

Believe it or not, the UK publisher just buys the book files from the US publisher, and only changes the copyright page and any other page that mentions the publisher's name. They never change the spelling or quote marks.

• 1 year later...
Chapter 4, when Wax is asking if VenDell wanted to come along

“It might be helpful if you accompanied us, VenDell,” Wax said. “We could use an extra Metalborn.”

Would VenDell, as a kandra, be condisered a metalborn by Wax?

Ah, Page found this WoB.  So it may or may not be a typo.  Adding to this thread so it's not forgotten.  Thanks Page!

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/256-oathbringer-london-signing/#e8654

• 1 month later...

I was just listening to Well of Ascension, and I noticed this little problem: (spoiler alert)

Spoiler

Zane is talking to Vin and he says "My father wants me to kill you." and Vin doesn't seem to notice. Then later in that same scene is when Zane reveals that he is in fact Straff's son, and Vin's all surpised.

As I said, I'm listening to it, so I can't give a page number, but it's a bit more than half way through.

In chapter 30:

“I’m not,” he admitted. “I was worried, honestly. The Bands are drained, mostly, but we could probably recharge them by compounding. The power they offer is something…”

Compounding should be capitalized, as it was in Alloy.

• 3 months later...

I think I found one in The Alloy of Law:

On page 202, Wayne and Marasi are discussing Marasi's pulser power. Wayne says, "Sure, but maybe sometime you want a certain day to come along sooner. You want it real badly, right? So you can burn some chromium, and poof, it's here!". It also says, on the same page, "I've..." She looked embarrassed. "I've actually done that. Chromium burns way more slowly than bendalloy."

It should say cadmium, not chromium. Chromium wipes another allomancer's metal reserves. It may have something to do with later in the book, as I haven't read past. I think it is a mistake, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Continuity problem:

In either book one or two of Allow of law, I don’t have the quote, Wayne says “I only know 4 letters, and not all of them are even in my name,” or something like that, and then, in Bands of Mourning, Wax tells someone that Wayne really is a big reader.

I know I have no quotes, page numbers, or even certainty of which books, but that’s something that bothered me, a lot.

Possible solution: Wayne was lying to Marasi (I think that’s who he was talking to.)

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

“Sure, but maybe sometime you want a certain day to come along sooner. You want it real badly, right? So you can burn some chromium, and poof, it’s here!” “I’ve…” She looked embarrassed. “I’ve actually done that. Chromium burns way more slowly than bendalloy.”

Sanderson, Brandon. The Alloy of Law (Mistborn) (p. 202). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

Marasi and Wayne talking about their powers, and I noticed Marasi saying chromium instead of cadmium. That would maker a Leecher rather than a Pulser.