Typos Thread [Bands Spoilers]

Blaze1616

I think I found one on page 192 (Kindle Location 3474) while Wayne is describing his Death accent:

"And grindy, like a man what is choking to death."

I believe "what" should be "that", otherwise the sentence doesn't really make sense.

It's Wayne though, he consistently talks like that.

Ebook page 59, or the second page of chapter 4, Wax says

After some silence, Wax continued, more softly. “I have to go. Even after what they did, if my uncle is really involved in this … if I can free Telsin … I have to go. Tomorrow night, there will be a gathering of the outer cities political elite in New Seran.

Seems like it should be cities' political elite, with an ending apostrophe?

RShara, geographical terms often don't have to be possessive: "I don't like Washington bureaucrats" vs "I don't like Washington's bureaucrats".

I mentioned this one in a different thread, and there's still a small chance that it's a clue to something instead of a continuity error, but that doesn't seem likely now that we've gotten the whole book.

So, in chapter 4, VenDell gives the folder of notes to WAX, but on page 82 Marasi "held up the pages VenDell had given her."

Edited by ecohansen

This is more of a potential continuity error. Suit makes a statement during Bands.

"I am limited to three boons, even if we have discovered how to make someone else be weak, while we gain the benefit."

So what are Suit's three boons? Let's look.

Marasi moved before she had time to think. Her rifle already in position, she shot at Suit. What ever was happening, having him dead couldn’t hurt. Unfortunately, her bullet veered as well, missing Edwarn. Then her weapon flew backward from her hands. Suit smiled at her with infuriating unconcern.

First we have Allomantic steel.

Rubble shifted nearby, and rocks clattered. A second later Suit appeared, his muscles having grown to several times their ordinary size. He returned to normal, and a cut in his arm resealed. He dusted himself off and glanced at Wax.

And now we have Feruchemical pewter and Feruchemical gold. Which would appear to round off the three powers that Edwarn can have without opening himself up to Harmony's influence. But later:

Suit grabbed his arm. Wax’s metal reserves vanished.

“Aha!” Suit said. “I made myself a Leecher! I can drain the metals from anyone who touches me, Waxillium. You’re dead. No Bands. No Allomancy. I win.”

That brings our count up to four attributes... Now, it's possible that Edwarn has been swapping spikes in and out, but that seems like a fairly dangerous process and I'm surprised he happens to have a spike for Allomantic chromium just lying around. Edwarn uses his Allomantic steel and Feruchemical gold abilities in that same scene, so he might have swapped out the Feruchemical pewter spike, but I thought I might check to be sure.

EDIT:

Update with another quote.

Suit was still where Waxillium had put him: tied to the top of the Lord Ruler’s spear, feet dangling. He’d been gagged, he’d had his metalminds removed, and Waxillium had used Allomancy to leech away his metals. And this still seemed like it might not be cautious enough. He still had his spikes, as they weren’t sure how to remove them without killing him.

I feel fairly confident this is a continuity error.

Edited by Windrunner

Didn't see a typo thread yet, so here goes. I've only stumbled across one so far.

Page 194, the first paragraph after the break is missing its indentation.

Not an error; that's the way it always is after a break.

I think I found one on page 192 (Kindle Location 3474) while Wayne is describing his Death accent:

"And grindy, like a man what is choking to death."

I believe "what" should be "that", otherwise the sentence doesn't really make sense.

This is the way Wayne often talks. Dialect.

Ebook page 59, or the second page of chapter 4, Wax says

Seems like it should be cities' political elite, with an ending apostrophe?

Like everyone else is saying, not an error, but the explanation is that this is an attributive noun.

RShara, geographical terms often don't have to be possessive: "I don't like Washington bureaucrats" vs "I don't like Washington's bureaucrats".

I mentioned this one in a different thread, and there's still a small chance that it's a clue to something instead of a continuity error, but that doesn't seem likely now that we've gotten the whole book.

So, in chapter 4, VenDell gives the folder of notes to WAX, but on page 82 Marasi "held up the pages VenDell had given her."

VenDell was ostensibly recruiting Marasi for this, so I don't think this is an issue.

EDIT:

Update with another quote.

I feel fairly confident this is a continuity error.

What exactly are you saying with the final one? 

Rubble shifted nearby, and rocks clattered. A second later Suit appeared, his muscles having grown to several times their ordinary size. He returned to normal, and a cut in his arm resealed. He dusted himself off and glanced at Wax.

This is NOT supposed to be in the final book. My hardcover reads:

Rubble shifted nearby, and rocks clattered. A second later Suit appeared, a cut in his arm resealing.

What version of the book do you have? Someone screwed up.

EDIT: I'm guessing this must be a UK version error. Both the US hardcover and ebook have the correct text.

Time to go bang some heads together.

EDIT 2: The UK print version definitely does not have this error; I checked just now. So please tell me what edition of the book you have.

EDIT 3: If you have an ARC or a beta or gamma version, don't report errors in this thread unless you check the final version and they're still there.
Edited by PeterAhlstrom

Sorry Peter, that's my bad. Old version, as my physical copy hasn't arrived yet. I didn't see this change in the doc! Sorry to put you through so much trouble.:/

Hah, it's OK...

There are a LOT of changes that were never listed on the beta or gamma doc, because those changes came from me (and a handful from the proofreader that Tor hired). I don't have time to type them up in the gamma spreadsheet.

This particular error was something I noticed back in the Beta read, but it took Brandon a long time to get around to fixing it.

Edited by PeterAhlstrom

Here are some typos I spotted reading the American edition of the ebook. I hope this helps!

Ch.19 p290 - "Melaan stopped at the simple door" - should be MeLaan.

Ch.22 p342 - "something she'd only seen him do that once" - either "something" or "that" should be cut off from the phrase. ("That once" turns out to be a grammatically correct way of saying "that one time". I should have known...)

Ch.23 p364 - "I cannot but think they have traps" - should be "I cannot help but" (Another more formal construction I should have known.)

Ch.31 p448 - "Would you mind taking over here" - should be talking (He is indeed asking MeLaan to take over. My bad.)

Edited by yurisses

Here are some typos I spotted reading the American edition of the ebook. I hope this helps!

Ch.19 p290 - "Melaan stopped at the simple door" - should be MeLaan.

Ch.22 p342 - "something she'd only seen him do that once" - either "something" or "that" should be cut off from the phrase.

Ch.23 p364 - "I cannot but think they have traps" - should be "I cannot help but"

Ch.31 p448 - "Would you mind taking over here" - should be talking

That first one definitely looks like a type.

The other 3 I think are how the characters speak, and are done intentionally.

Peter said

VenDell was ostensibly recruiting Marasi for this, so I don't think this is an issu

Thank you so much for the reply, and I really hate to flog a dead horse, but the folder and the earring are very confusing.

On Kindle edition location 1070, we have:

“Greetings, Lord Ladrian,” VenDell said, walking in and holding up a folder. “Your tickets, along with transcripts of everything we’ve been able to pry out of ReLuur. I warn you, most of it isn’t terribly lucid.” Wayne glanced at Wax’s liquor cabinet. Maybe something in there would work for what he needed for his offering. “I haven’t said that I’d go,” Wax told the immortal. “You’re roping me into this, sure as sheep in a pen.” “Yes,” the immortal said. He held out the folder again. “In here is a list of people ReLuur mentions. You’ll find it interesting that he lists several, including the woman holding the party I’m sending you to, as having had interactions with your uncle.” Wax sighed, then accepted it.

At location 1107, AFTER VenDell has already given Wax the folder, we have the following:

“Excellent,” the kandra fellow said, fishing in his pocket. Wayne got interested, until he came out with a dull old bent earring, simple, old-style. “I brought you one of these.” “No thanks.” “But, if you need to—” “No thanks,” Wax said.

So we know VenDell had the earring AFTER he gave the folder to Wax.

At location 1557:

Marasi stopped on the image of the monster. It was evening; people chatted softly around her in the dining car, and the train rolled around a picturesque bend, but for a moment she was transfixed by that image. A sketch of violent, rough lines that somehow conveyed a terrible dread. Most of the pages in the stack VenDell had delivered contained transcripts of questions answered— or, more often, not answered— by the wounded kandra.

At location 1660:

It was getting late, the sun having fully set outside, and they wouldn’t arrive for another few hours. So she packed up the stack of pages inside their large folder. As she did, something slipped out of the folder. Marasi frowned, holding it up. A small cloth pouch. Opening it revealed a small Pathian earring and a note.

Just in case, Waxillium.

So, EITHER VenDell had already placed a different earring in the folder before he ever offered one to Wax, or someone snuck an earring in after Wax already had possession of the folder, or the folder that Marasi had is a different one than the one Wax had--but that sees to be contraindicated by the folder being referred to as "THE stack VenDell had delivered."  There's  a mystery now, and that's the sort of thing that attracts Sanderfans' attention.

Finally, we have location 1690:

“A lost clip,” Marasi said. “Great. Maybe you can find something in these.” She held up the pages VenDell had given her. “I’m heading to bed for a few hours.”

This seems to solve the mystery: There were two different folders, and VenDell gave Marasi a different copy AFTER he gave the first copy to Wax, slipping the earring into Marasi's copy.  But then why did Marasi need to give her copy to Wax, instead of just reminding him to read up on his own?  And why wasn't the note worded like "Marasi,please give this earring to Waxillium in case he needs it"?

TL;DR:  I'd just like confirmation on whether this is a typo, or the solution to a mystery.

Edited by ecohansen

This might be a mistake, or is a really stealthy reveal on Brandon's part, from the first page of Chapter 24:

“Marasi dug in her purse, pulling out the little spike that belonged to ReLuur. Such a small thing, and so clean-a shining sliver of…pewter, was it?”

Pewter is not one of the metals used in the four types of Blessings used in the Final Empire.  So if this isn't just a "typo", then either Marasi is mistaken or the kandra have figured out how to create Blessings from spikes granting Feruchemcal abilities, which I thought Brandon had said they hadn't.